Lester Young: "Just a Little Bit South"?

medjuck

I've found a playlist on Spotify  called "Lester Young Chronological solos:1936-1942".  There are 200 entries including many (though not all) alternate takes and recorded  broadcasts.  There is one entry that is not listed in Frank Buchmann-Moller's  Prez discography. It's   from 1941 or '42:  "Just a Little Bit South" and whoever compiled the playlist says it's by an "unknown band" (and singer).  The tenor solo sure sounds like Prez of that era.  Any one know about this?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It's the Young Brothers band. Might even be Lester singing?

The subject is mentioned in here.

definitely Lester singing; I've had that on CD for a long time. Certified by Loren Schoenberg who knows more about Prez than anyone.

I have the recording (Prez Box, Vol. 1) - absolutely abysmal SQ but the tenor definitely sounds like Lester
Edited by romualdo

Broadcast "Billy Berg's Club Capri", Culver City, LA, December 2, 1941
  Benny's bugle [untitled piece] Everybodys EV-3002, Rhino R2-75872 [CD]
  Skyline (theme) (incomplete)           -
Note: "Skyline" not listed on label or sleeve of Everybodys EV-3002.
"Untitled piece" as "Benny's Bugle" on Everybodys EV-3002, Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-47 [CD].
"Skyline" as "Sign Off" on Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-47 [CD].
Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-47 [CD] titled "Lester Young, Vol. 2, 1939-1942 - The Complementary Works"; see flwg sessions to June 1, 1942 for more titles; rest of CD by others.
JUTB (Jazz Up Top Box)CD-3019 [CD] titled "Pres Box, Volume 1"; see flwg session for one more title; rest of CD by others.
Sound Hills (Jap)SSCD-8035/50 [CD] titled "Lester Young - Live and Private Recordings in Chronological Order"; see flwg session for one more title; rest of this 16 CD set by Lester Young and others.
Both above titles also on Pres Box (It)01/22, JUTB (It)CD-3019 [CD], Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD47 [CD], Sound Hills (Jap)SSCD-8035/50 [CD].
  KHJ Radio broadcast "Trouville Club", Los Angeles, May 6, 1942
  Frolic Sam (incomplete) (unissued)
  KHJ Radio broadcast "Trouville Club", Los Angeles, June 1, 1942
  Broadway (incomplete) Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD]
  I hear music (bh vcl)                 (F)MJCD102 [CD]
  Bo-go-Joe (incomplete) (tb,lw,wd,dd vcl,1) (unissued)
  Untitled piece Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD]
Note: "Untitled piece" based on "Benny's Bugle".
Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD] titled "Lester Young, Volume 6, 1944 - The Complementary Works"; see flwg session for more titles; rest of CD by others.
Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD102 [CD] titled "Billie Holiday, Volume 11, 1941-1942"; see flwg session for one more title; rest of CD by others.
  KHJ Radio broadcast "Trouville Club", Los Angeles, June 1, 1942
  Untitled piece Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD99 [CD]
  Solitude (incomplete)(bh vcl)                 (F)MJCD102 [CD]
  Broadway                 (F)MJCD99 [CD]
  Lady be good (incomplete)                -
Note:

"Untitled Piece" as "Benny's Bugle" on Masters of Jazz (F)MJCD-99 [CD].

Lester & Lee Young recordings 41-42 - This would have made an excellent Uptown release (if the source material was still in decent condition)

plus an unreleased live session later in 42

Live "Cafe Society Downtown", New York, c. October 1942
  The great lie (unissued)
  Untitled piece      -
[B3511]Full musician list Your CollectionAdd   Count Basie

Edited by romualdo

A note (just in case ...) to those wondering:

I just checked the "Lestorian Notes" discography by Piet Koster and Harm Mobach that (on the face of it) is ultra-detailed. But no trace of that tune in the song title index. Yet the entry IS there. It is listed as "(Just a) Little Bit South of North Carolia" and therefore is filed under "L" and also marks the beginning of the 1942 entries in the actual discography.

The LP on Everybody's 3002 is nice indeed. I picked up a copy last year when I had (more or less) first pick among a 5000-LP jazz collection our #1 record shop had gotten in.

And yes, the 1944 recordings by the Basie band on that LP are fine. But "live 1944 Basie" (including Prez soloing) is exceedingly plentiful out there on various collector labels. So you can easily get drowned in the flood.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

9 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

A note (just in case ...) to those wondering:

I just checked the "Lestorian Notes" discography by Piet Koster and Harm Mobach that (on the face of it) is ultra-detailed. But no trace of that tune in the song title index. Yet the entry IS there. It is listed as "(Just a) Little Bit South of North Carolia" and therefore is filed under "L" and also marks the beginning of the 1942 entries in the actual discography.

The LP on Everybody's 3002 is nice indeed. I picked up a copy last year when I had (more or less) first pick among a 5000-LP jazz collection our #1 record shop had gotten in.

And yes, the 1944 recordings by the Basie band on that LP are fine. But "live 1944 Basie" (including Prez soloing) is exceedingly plentiful out there on various collector labels. So you can easily get drowned in the flood.

As a native NC'er that title intrigues me quite a bit 

OK (as is often the case) I was wrong. Buchnamm-Moller does list it. However in the index he just refers to it as "A Little Bit South of North Carolina".  He confirms all of the above but adds that he got the info from Lee Young. 

BTW Does anyone have a source for a digital or cd version of the Everybody's Lp? 

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

All that material is out there on cd, for example on Masters of Jazz Lester Young and Basie cds, but I don't know of ONE cd that would have it all.

I think I have all the stuff with Basie.  It's the Young brothers band material I'm looking for. 

7 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Then you want this one, which also has the great sessions with Nat King Cole and Una Mae Carlisle.

https://www.discogs.com/release/14876055-Lester-Young-Volume-2-1939-1942-The-Complementary-Works

Thanks. Just ordered it. (I also don't have these versions of Taxi War Dance and Tickle-Toe (which apparently is really Willow Weep for Me). 

On 4/25/2024 at 8:57 PM, JSngry said:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

https://www.discogs.com/release/3203384-Various-Historical-Prez-Lester-Young-1940-1944

Cheap copies ($2.99), exquisite music in not-bad sound. Lester's first band after leaving Basie, Young Brothers band plus some absolutely astonishing 1944 Basie airshots with Prez absolutely all-in.

Highly recommended.

I second this recommendation.   There is some fabulous Pres here with Basie from 1944 that somehow did not make it to other releases that I know of, including the Prez's Hat series that focuses mostly on the 1944 broadcasts. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

It's not.

My mistake.  I should have said (according to my discography) it's Taxi War DAnce that's really Willow Weep for Me.  But I better wait till I hear it to confirm.