Obscure or Underrated Bassists

I'll start with some obscure players.

Carl Brown (His only recording was Steve Lacy's "Evidence" session.)

Arthur Phipps (NY based, played on some Jackie McLean records and on the Barrow-Amram quartet's "The Eastern Scene")

I have updated the title to include underrated players as well. Let's not be sticklers for who's is or isn't "underrated", let's just discuss some bassists who deserve more recognition than they have received (so basically all of 'em!).

Edited by Stevie Mclean

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Gary Mapp (played with Monk)

Addison Farmer (not really obscure, Art's twin bro, died too soon)

Somewhere I read that Gary Mapp was a policeman. 
About Addison Farmer: Once I heard a bassist "Julius Farmer" who was Art´s nephew. He even looked a bit like Art. Maybe this Julius Farmer was the son of Addison ? I heard Julius only once at a Jazzfestival, but he played with Larry Coryell Trio as well as with Alphonse Mouzon electric group, so he did 2 features at one festival, which happens rarely. He was also the bassist of the after hour jam session. 

Arthur Phipps also a good choice: I think he was an insider´s musician in the Brooklyn jazz community. 

-  How about John Simmons who played with Monk as well as with Tadd Dameron ? It seems that later he disappeared completly. 

-  Who was that misterious Ebenezer Paul ? He played on those 1941 Minton sessions but otherwise I never heard about him.

- Jimmy Rowser ? Isn´t he on one of the Coltrane LP´s on Prestige. He sounds interesting, because he doesn´t have that long tone, he has that boppish short and more percussive tone, it sounds very fine on a fast version of "Woody´n You". 

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Jimmy Rowser ? Isn´t he on one of the Coltrane LP´s on Prestige. He sounds interesting, because he doesn´t have that long tone, he has that boppish short and more percussive tone, it sounds very fine on a fast version of "Woody´n You". 

Not really obscure I believe .... numerous credits and recurringly drafted by Ray Bryant and Les McCann .... excellent bass player though ....

15 minutes ago, mhatta said:

Gary Mapp (played with Monk)

Putter Smith (not really obscure, 007 movie fame)

Addison Farmer (not really obscure, Art's twin bro, died too soon)

I haven't heard anything of Mapp or Smith, however I quite enjoy Farmer's work in Mal Waldron's trio. His passing was indeed much too soon. There is an interview with Art in which he discusses his brothers untimely passing and gives some insight on how it affected him and his view of life and death, quite an interesting and emotional read.

16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Nick Di Geronimo ..... three appearances with Andrew Cyrille between 1978 (Black Saint) and 1983 (Soul Note) .... what a fantastic bass player and no traces to be found at all ....

I've really been getting into Cyrille by way of Walt Dickerson so I am excited to give these records a listen.

7 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Somewhere I read that Gary Mapp was a policeman. 
About Addison Farmer: Once I heard a bassist "Julius Farmer" who was Art´s nephew. He even looked a bit like Art. Maybe this Julius Farmer was the son of Addison ? I heard Julius only once at a Jazzfestival, but he played with Larry Coryell Trio as well as with Alphonse Mouzon electric group, so he did 2 features at one festival, which happens rarely. He was also the bassist of the after hour jam session. 

Arthur Phipps also a good choice: I think he was an insider´s musician in the Brooklyn jazz community. 

-  How about John Simmons who played with Monk as well as with Tadd Dameron ? It seems that later he disappeared completly. 

-  Who was that misterious Ebenezer Paul ? He played on those 1941 Minton sessions but otherwise I never heard about him.

- Jimmy Rowser ? Isn´t he on one of the Coltrane LP´s on Prestige. He sounds interesting, because he doesn´t have that long tone, he has that boppish short and more percussive tone, it sounds very fine on a fast version of "Woody´n You". 

In an interview Jackie McLean stated that Phipps left the scene completely to follow his true passion of photography. He also said that music was not Phipps passion and that he did it to make some bread. If that happens to be true, I can't find any evident of that in his playing. He always sounded great in his few recordings.

I know Rowser from one of my favourite Hank and Dorham sessions Curtain Call. I cant say that his playing on that album struck me in any way but I'm sure he contributes his fair share to a favourite of mine. Will give a more focused listen to him for sure.

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

@ Stevie Mclean : probably you should consider adding "or underrated" to the thread title, so we could discuss even more interesting bass players here 🧐🤓 .... 

well who would want to miss a discussion of that kind? :)

• Stevie Mclean changed the title to Obscure or Underrated Bassists

On the underrated front, I have always enjoyed Ben Tucker's playing on many "soul-adjacent" records. He always had such a booming sound and could play with the rhythm just enough to make it interesting while always staying in the pocket.

In a similar vein to Tucker, I also really enjoy Eldee Young's contributions to the Ramsey Lewis Trio. I dare say he might be my favourite part!

How about Albert Stinson?

IIRC, I first heard Stinson on Bobby Hutcherson's Oblique -- but he also made albums with Chico Hamilton, Charles Lloyd, John Handy, and others.

If he hadn't died in 1969 (only 24 years old), I think he would have become a very well-known bassist.

9 hours ago, soulpope said:

Nick Di Geronimo ..... three appearances with Andrew Cyrille between 1978 (Black Saint) and 1983 (Soul Note) .... what a fantastic bass player and no traces to be found at all ....

Good call.  :tup  Those records are terrific -- and Di Geronimo sounds great on them.

Yes, Albert Stinson. 

And how about Eugene Wright. The least talked about of the Brubeck Quartet. . . but a real anchor in every way a bassist should be.

Perhaps a little bit outside the parameters. . . but . . . Michael Henderson.

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

Yes, he is also the one who came to mind for me, for his work on those albums!

I think of Kash Killion mostly as a cellist and didn't realize he played bass as well.

Would also like to add:

Earl Freeman

Mutawaf Shaheed

Rusty Gilder

Robert Prado

Scotty Holt

Sylvain Marc

Beb Guérin

François Mechali

Ali Haurand

Jan Jacobs

Sven Hessle

Keiki Midorikawa (also played cello)

Hideaki Mochizuki

Robert Scholer

Paul van Gysegem

1 hour ago, carville said:

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/2375908/nicholas-martin-di-geronimo,-sr.

I saw your comment. I was just researching a few things today and came across his obituary. At least some of us remember him! I wish there were more recordings available.

Apologies for botching Mr. DiGeronimo's surname. I omitted the Di. Only excuse is that I have those albums as part of a Cam Jazz box set with attendant tiny print (album graphics shrunk to dimensions of cardboard CD sleeve).

Albert Stinson played bass in Miles Davis' band in 1967, subbing Ron Carter. The bootleg exists, it is quite a good performance.

Jan Arnet, who played bass on Booker Ervin's last leader session (later issued as Tex Book Tenor), is another interesting figure. He was born in the Czech Republic, defected to the West with his wife and daughter in a bass drum case, retired from jazz in the 1970s and apparently had a successful career in finance; he died in 2017.