BFT 242 - Come And Get It!

A lot of tunes here that didn't really grab me, also didn't make me want to scream "NEXT". As usual I am worthless on guesses but:

#9 - Lovely "Funny Valentine" by a tenor that I bet is a recognized legend but I want to go against the grain and say it is someone younger. Harry Allen?

#10 - it took a while but this is a WFWL-NM.  I'm sure that can be decoded. :)

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Did I hear "Goldfinger" in there?

Yup!

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

#9 - Lovely "Funny Valentine" by a tenor that I bet is a recognized legend but I want to go against the grain and say it is someone younger. Harry Allen?

Not "Funny Valentine" (mine or any other's), not Harry Allen.

To have missed Fathead twice in a couple of months is just pathetic.

Trying to figure out the release but discogs is not functioning for me.

From The Blessing ... don't think I have that one so there's that!

Edited by Dan Gould

I think I was shutout, here.  I know I'm in a bit of a funk today, but the first part of the test missed hard.  After that I actually enjoyed listening to most of it, but more as background.  It happens.

Track 01 - First phrase had me kind of excited, but this head is a bit mathy for my taste.  It's good, and they can play, but you really feel the energy kind of lag once the improv begins.  Almost like they're not in the same room (to my ear).  I'm sure I'm just being a curmudgeon, but it seems to lack dynamics.  I like the tenor player's sound, but it's got that same thing going on.  Crazy technique on both players, but I'm just not convinced they mean any of it.  There's a guy who posts horns he's selling on FB, and he can play like this (and does so to demonstrate the horns), but after about three horn ads, you realize it's just a memorized series of patterns.  It's impressive technique, but there's no story to it.  As Henry Threadgill has said, "muscle memory can be a dangerous thing."  I like the bass solo, but the drummer needs some decaf (let it breathe, MF!).  Impressive mucisianship, but the track is a miss for me.

Track 02 - Nope.  Reminds me of Vijay Ayer's Fieldwork.  It's interesting, but seems more busy than musical.  Maybe I'm just old. 4:30 is all I could take.

Track 03 - A thousand percent more to my liking.  A touch of Pharoah in the tone.  Right up until about the 2 minute mark when we go full-on into the practice room.  I just don't understand why technical facility needs to translate as boring.  Maybe I'm just old.  It's a nice melody, and they clearly can play, I just wish they'd stayed with what the melody sets up for them.  Sometimes I'm bothered that I don't get out to check out "new" stuff that much... this is why.

Track 04 - This one hits better than the last -- I like the trend.  Arrangement is interesting without getting in the way.  There's a story here.  My ears are telling me these are older (maybe over 50) players.  So far, I don't know anybody for sure, but these are unique voices, particularly the alto.  It stays within itself and remains musical throughout.  Arco bass!  What the hell happened to THAT technique!?!  Everything about this one works, even the busy head.  

Track 05 - Really like this.  Has a Cecil Bridgewater feel to it.  Quirky and angular, but the story is here.  Again, they're staying within what they setup, and it doesn't try to do to much; it doesn't have to.

Track 06 - This didn't really hit me in any direction.  It was pleasant enough, but about 5 minutes in, I realized I wasn't really listening.  Nothing wrong with it, just didn't grab my attention.  

Track 07 - Another pleasant listen, but not really grabbing my full focus.  That's a description, not a criticism.  The last two tracks have been just about perfect for me to continue working on things.  I'm enjoying them enough to focus on the task at hand, but not really connecting with the music.

Track 08 - Happy Birthday (I'm going to murder you in your sleep).  Meh.  Just, why?

Track 09 - That's Fathead.  I could listen to him play ballads all day long.  The story.  It's here.  

Track 10 - A powerful tenor sound, and certainly a guy who has listen to Fathead.  I don't care for the "squiggle" he's putting on notes for affect, but on the whole, I like this.  There is thought, here.  It's a modern guy, but not someone who just sheds their Brecker.  And as soon as I type that, he starts ripping the altissimo lines I was critical of on an earlier cut.  Still, this feels real to me.  Not sure I'd buy it, but if I were seeing this live, I'd have no complaints.  

Track 11 - Gonna sound weird, but I know that count off.  Huh... maybe not.  I have something in my collection that starts like that, though.

Track 12 - Didn't care for that beat right off the bat.  Can't explain why.  It just clashed for me.  Trends a bit commercial for my taste.  Reminds me a bit of some of what I've heard from our host.  Tenor reminds me a bit of Sean Berry.  Hmm... kinda has to be Alfredson, doesn't it?  Nothing wrong, here, just not in my wheel house.  My ear wants Fred Wesley to be playing trombone, but it's not to be.

Track 13 - A-ha!  THAT's Jim.  This I've always loved.  I think this may have been on a BFT at one point.  I know it's on my HD in the car, and always makes me smile.  This does all that it's supposed to. Wait... this is NOT that.  I mean, it IS, but this is not the version I have.  Now I don't know what it is.  It's that song, though... can't for the life of me remember the title.  Either way, this works completely.

Track 14 - What?  Ohio Players, right?  I mean, obviously this is not them, but that's who did it iirc.  Probably be fun if I were there when this happened, but this is just weird.  Reminds me a bit of Material's Memory Serves. 

I might revisit this for another listen when I'm not in a funk.

On 5/1/2024 at 2:57 PM, Dan Gould said:

To have missed Fathead twice in a couple of months is just pathetic.

Trying to figure out the release but discogs is not functioning for me.

From The Blessing ... don't think I have that one so there's that!

I got him this time, but I missed him hard (as in didn't care for it) last time.  He did that r&b thing better than anyone for my money, but I don't always want to hear it.  This, however... this hits.

Friday Eve, enjoying a bit of afterglow from a Rangers win this afternoon....carpe diem, as they say...

TRACK ONE - Willing to like it. Almost did! Sounds like a Bird tune of sorts. I mean, I didn't dislike it, that's for sure. But it was like, they did that, did it well enough, and then what? More like that, it sounds like it would be. Hopefully not though!

TRACK TWO - Maybe twelve-tone meets minimalism. Maybe not. But as a composition, it's not much of a vehicle for improvisation, imo. I don't like an elaborate setup and then, ok, let's improvise on that. I like improvisation to be more integrated. And I like composition to be more developed. Threadgill is the master of that blend. OTOH, whoever it is has an idea and they're committed to it. Maybe they're young and still working it out. If that's the case, ok. Keep on working it out. Maybe some looser players (if the goal is "jazz") or more intensely focused ones (if the goal is "classical"). Or hell, just keep working with the same p0layers and give it time to grow into itself.

TRACK THREE - Oh, that "pastoral" shit. Whatever word you want to use for it. "Introspective". "SENSITIVE". Whatever. Not a fan of it. Tenor player sounds like Donny McCaslin but less in tune. The drummer is interesting, but...a different tune, perhaps?

TRACK FOUR - Ok, one of the most extrapolated "What Is This Thing Called Love"s: I think I've ever heard. The model seems to be Mingus (and Tristano by extension....or the other way around?). The ensembles nail it more than the soloists, which are soooo close to getting it done. But that's the least intense bass clarinet solo in recent memory! Perfectly played though. An extra half-star for the trombonist!

TRACK FIVE - Post-Don Ellis trumpet stylings!!!!  And short too! I could quibble, but these days there's no point. Close enough!

TRACK SIX - A lot of people like this type of thing. A lot of people don't. Count be as indifferent,, but fully respectful of the immense craftsmansh9p  on display. I'm at once too old and too young to give too much of a fuck one way or the other.

TRACK SEVEN - See #6. Word for word. Also see Bobby Pierce's reading of the same tune. FLAYVA!!!! But this one....gets a little bit better as it goes on, but the record is apparently not designed to bring too much of that out. Too bad about that. Sounds like there Flayva Potential in this player. Mo' Flayva Please!!!!

TRACK EIGHT - In real estate, it's location. In comedy. it's context. I don't have any here. Maybe it's not even supposed to be comedy? It's clever, but me and clever with no context is like Lou Grant and spunk. But there's bot Bird & Christmas thrown in there, so maybe it's Happy Birthday To Bird Jesus?

TRACK NINE - The unmistakable :g Fathead Newman!!!!! You can't tell me that this guy never did not know the lyrics.

TRACK TEN - Why?

TRACK ELEVEN - Ok, there's that then. Sounds like a cross-cultural explosion of smiling. Me, I'm kinda feeling Lou Grant-ish again. It comes easy these days.

TRACK TWELVE - It's a niche, a Tower Of Power niche. I like Tower of Power. A Lot. So this gets a pass from me. A pass and a smile. Because I'm easy like that. But the trombone recalls James Pankow, and Chicago never was my thing, really. But it's ok. Because I'm easy like that.

TRACK THIRTEEN - And that's a John Patton niche. That too works for me. All I ask is that there's a point that is made in such a way that any other possible points are somebody else's to make,. You leave it open, hey...just don't do that.

TRACK FOURTEEN - SAY WHAT?

Fourteen is a lot of songs, so thanks for doing all that work. Hopefully nobody was murdered.

General house keeping comment

I've got the archive complete through 2017.  With the new site setup, I've changed the instructions for naming files for the BFT.  In short, if you follow the new instructions, uploading becomes a breeze and very little time is wasted (as opposed to what I'm going through building the archive).  Please and thanks, take a look at the instructions here:

https://www.organissimo.org/forum/topic/83336-how-to-setting-up-a-blindfold-test/

A couple days late, life gets complicated!

1 – I like this a lot, it’s just the sort of thing that finds a home on my shelves, nice inside/outside feel.  Trumpeter sure sounds like Freddie Hubbard, tenor player makes me think of Joe Henderson, though the composition doesn’t remind me of either of them.  The rhythm section is first rate.   If I don’t own this already, I’ll look to rectify that post-haste.   Great start.

2 – OK, this is interesting.  I am enjoying it, and curious to know what it is.  Piano solo stands out to me, but the composition and arrangement are also really refreshing, though things get sort of wonky to me after it.  But overall, it’s a bracing listen.

3 – Tenor has a beautiful tone.  Whole group is first-rate.  In some ways, I admire this more than I enjoy it, as the composition leaves me fairly cold, though I can appreciate that it’s performed incredibly well, and in many ways this performance quite lovely.  I would listen to this at a different time of day (early morning, maybe).

4 – Wow, loving this!   Makes me think of that Dave Holland group with Julian Priester which did such great work on ECM, though it is likely of earlier vintage.  Can’t wait for the reveal and to ensure this is on my shelves!

5 – Has to be Lester Bowie, doesn’t it?  It’s interesting, but not compelling to me.

6 – Goldfinger!  By someone who listened to their Duane Eddy and Ventures records!  Fun, for sure, but definitely overstays its welcome.

7 – Wichita Lineman!  First (and only) thought is Gabor Szabo, though I can’t locate it.  Immensely enjoying this and would like to have it on the shelves if it’s not there already.

8 – Happy Birthday!  To me, pompous nonsense (and I’m someone who owns almost all of the Keith Jarrett solo albums), but YMMV.

9 – As Time Goes By? One of the great pre-bop tenor masters, no doubt, but not of much interest to me.

10 – Back on track now, thanks.  Like the tenor player, love the bass player!  Looking forward to the reveal.

11 – No thanks, totally lost on me.

12 – This is the change in rhythm in later times which turns me off, feels stiff and static to me.  The tenor player is a monster, and the organist is great, which redeems the cut for me, and it will be a welcome reveal.

13 – Much more my preference for organ combo style!  Love it!  Interesting in this BFT where you seem to be pairing track with different approaches to same instrument combinations (here with the organs, earlier with the guitars and the tenor players).

14 – I know this one  (cut 5 on this disc) , without having ever heard it before!  I have another album by this group, and they’re unmistakable.  I find them fun, but sort of a one-trick pony.   And I was never a big Ohio Players guy, give me Kool & The Gang instead!

Really enjoyed this BFT, and look forward to the reveal, thanks!

On 5/1/2024 at 10:01 AM, Dan Gould said:

#10 - it took a while but this is a WFWL-NM.  I'm sure that can be decoded. :)

WF definitely wouldn't like!

Wow - three thoughtful, considered, incisive commentaries on the tracks; thanks for the effort y'all put in.  One of the mysteries of music, and BFTs really bring this out, is how different people can hear things so differently.  Indeed, I can hear the same track differently from one listen to the next.  There's probably an analogy to wine here, but wine never got to me the way music does.  I'm not saying I love all these tracks (especially not the more diffident ones), but I thought they'd be a good springboard for conversation.  And even those, I find repeated listening bears fruit.  And, to be clear, I'm not a fan of the lengths of some of these tracks.  I could try editing them down, but would probably mangle them in an unpleasant way, so here they stand.

As for IDs thus far, felser nailed #14 (talk about editing: I wish I could have edited out the shout-out to Jamaaladeen Tacuma before his solo!).  Jim was the first to ID Fathead (#9), and Dan found the album source.  Compositions Goldfinger, Wichita Lineman, Happy Birthday, and As Time Goes By were identified (I'd be worried if they weren't).  Thom noticed the presence of "our host" on #12 (but he's not on #13).  And Jim made an interesting John Patton reference to #13, because this artist worked with Patton.

Carry on!

1. Maybe Lee Morgan, 66 or later
2. Leaning toward Vijay Iyer over Andrew Hill
3. Has some of Trane's lyricism without the hard edges.  Charles Lloyd?
4. Bone led date.  Curtis Fuller?
5. and down to the tuba.  Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy?
6. Sounds like Bill Frisell.  Is it Moon River?
7. initiallly sounds like Wildfire (pop country by Michael Martin Murphey) but quickly I realize it's Wichita Lineman.  I'm a big Jimmy Webb fan.  Jim Hall is my clueless guess.
8. Live piano.  Sounds like an improvisation on Happy Birthday.  Kenny Barron?
9. Guitar and vibes, now a tenor comes in.  Is it As Time Goes By?  Not sure.  Trying to think of a tenor that might have recorded for Criss-Cross or Steeplechase because that's the vibe I get - loving recreation.
10. Is this James Brandon Lewis?
11. Lionel Loueke?
12. A New Orleans crew of some sort?  Galactic?
13. Jim Alfredson?
14. Wait, isn't Love Rollercoaster the name of something by Ohio Players?

2 hours ago, randyhersom said:

1. Maybe Lee Morgan, 66 or later
2. Leaning toward Vijay Iyer over Andrew Hill
3. Has some of Trane's lyricism without the hard edges.  Charles Lloyd?
4. Bone led date.  Curtis Fuller?
5. and down to the tuba.  Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy?
6. Sounds like Bill Frisell.  Is it Moon River?
7. initiallly sounds like Wildfire (pop country by Michael Martin Murphey) but quickly I realize it's Wichita Lineman.  I'm a big Jimmy Webb fan.  Jim Hall is my clueless guess.
8. Live piano.  Sounds like an improvisation on Happy Birthday.  Kenny Barron?
9. Guitar and vibes, now a tenor comes in.  Is it As Time Goes By?  Not sure.  Trying to think of a tenor that might have recorded for Criss-Cross or Steeplechase because that's the vibe I get - loving recreation.
10. Is this James Brandon Lewis?
11. Lionel Loueke?
12. A New Orleans crew of some sort?  Galactic?
13. Jim Alfredson?
14. Wait, isn't Love Rollercoaster the name of something by Ohio Players?

#4 is actually a tenor-led date (but very much an ensemble).  #6 is indeed Frisell; I think his tone and phrasing are unmistakable.  However, not Moon River (track name already identified).  #9 has also been identified.  #14 is an Ohio Players song, and the track has been identified; put on your platform shoes!

#6--I would say that's Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan playing "Goldfinger."

#7--I've heard Dave Stryker play "Wichita Lineman," but it's not him.  The guitarist is channeling Metheny in some spots.

#10--I will guess Joshua Redman.

#11--This is an odd one.  A bit of Shakti/Indian stuff combined with Country and Irish Reels?

4 hours ago, Milestones said:

#6--I would say that's Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan playing "Goldfinger."

#7--I've heard Dave Stryker play "Wichita Lineman," but it's not him.  The guitarist is channeling Metheny in some spots.

#10--I will guess Joshua Redman.

#11--This is an odd one.  A bit of Shakti/Indian stuff combined with Country and Irish Reels?

Correct, nope, nope, right!  I especially liked your description of #11.

Returning to this with more time...

1 - I get more Hubbard than Morgan from the trumpet. Is it their date? As I've learned here, drum mic'ing can indicate time frame of recording, and that here is where all parts of the kit seem mic'd. That should indicate a more recent recording but I still don't have any guesses. 

2 - The playing is great and I like some of the interactions, especially in the last 3rd. Sounds like they could play this more balls out and muscular but they ended up striving for subtlety which at worst is getting too cute with things, but these players keep it on the better side of cerebral because there's some good convos in here. I like this the more i listen to it actually. 

3 - Charles Lloyd-esque, but the playing from the tenor sounds less direct. Overall the song is nice. Near the end it dips into trio level and that was my favorite part. 

4 - This is different for sure. I have no guesses. Eager to find out who this is. 

5 - Ha, I like the beginning. There's some humor there. Especially as to how they follow that up. I really like this but no guesses. 

6 - Looks like this one has been guessed and now I can't believe I missed this song and guitarist the first time around. Nice add. 

7 - Excellent. No idea but I dig it. 

Will need to revisit the rest soon. 

caught a break 

8 - HBD as others have cited. Least favorite so far. No guesses. 

9 - A kiss is still a kiss song which I don't know the official title of. Player ID'd on this very nice song. 

10 - This starts out so good and then fizzles a bit. Is/was the sax player young at the time of recording? The drum/bass portions are the best. Sax player always comes in strong at first but just loses ground quickly. 

11 - Missing link between some North African style and American bluegrass? I'm largely ignorant on that region and India (other parts of Asia as well) in case that is represented here too. I would enjoy bluegrass festivals a lot more if something like this was present because I definitely hear it in those interludes. Eager for the reveal on this one. That percussion is powerful. 

12 - The production of this track holds it back from being better. It has so much potential weight - I'm betting this is great live. 

13 - Nice - 2 organ tunes in a row. Production is better here, by miles. Guitarist throws an homage to Grant Green in there with those repeated notes? Hilarious if so. Because I'm 100% sure it ain't Grant. This one comes much later but has an authentic throw back feel that comes from a good place. Damn, another one I'm waiting to be revealed. 

14 - Ok, I totally missed this my first time through. I've never heard this shit live and damn it's so good. I never thought of seeking out live tracks of the OPs (and others). Going to have to remedy that!!! 

Once again, thanks for putting this together!

Really liked your responses, Dub Modal.  You really caught the spirit of a lot of these.  #1 is very recent (2022).  #10: the saxist is young for jazz (34 at the time of recording); I think he's a good, strong player who can grow with time.  #13: I'm sure the guitarist loves GG, and this tune was originally on an album by one of GG's running mates.