Spoken word records, jazz

Pondered the spoken word albums, in jazz genre. Any recommendations.

Some I enjoy:

The Heinrich Heine album with Attila Zoller Quartet which was mentioned in German jazz topic recently.

Masaomi Kondo with music by The Freedom Unity group: Skokubuchu-shi: Hitoribotchi no heya (植物誌 ひとりぼっちの部屋)

https://www.discogs.com/release/6899411-近藤正臣-植物誌-ひとりぼっちの部屋

Jan Erik Wold with Jan Garbarek etc. several albums which are compiled here

https://www.discogs.com/release/2609874-Jan-Erik-Vold-Vokal-The-Complete-Recordings-1966-1977

R-6899411-1532809490-5068.jpg

R-2609874-1293040979.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of Kazuko Shiraishi's album, words are spoken in Japanese but it has a great feeling to it, obviously helped by the presence of Sam Rivers, Abdul Wadud and Buster Williams

https://www.discogs.com/master/332790-Kazuko-Shiraishi-Featuring-Sam-Rivers-Dedicated-To-The-Late-John-Coltrane-And-Other-Jazz-Poems

Of a lot more recent vintage is Aja Monet 

https://www.discogs.com/release/27677148-Aja-Monet-When-The-Poems-Do-What-They-Do

Edited by mjazzg

Colette Magny's series of records for Le Chant Du Monde with collaborators including Barre Phillips, Beb Guérin, François Tusques, Noël McGhie, Workshop de Lyon, and Dharma Quintet would qualify. They're interesting documents and less chanteuse-focused than her earlier work.

Jayne Cortez: duo with Richard Davis on Strata-East, "Celebrations and Solitudes," and her later Firespitters group (three LPs with Denardo Coleman, Bern Nix, Jamaladeen Tacuma, et al.) are cornerstones in this area. Also, her performance with Clifford Thornton on side two of his "Communications Network" is worth hearing.

K. Curtis Lyle "The Collected Poem for Blind Lemon Jefferson" on Mbari (feat. Julius Hemphill) is a wonderful recording. 

Barry Wallenstein's two LPs on AkBa with Cecil McBee, Stanley Cowell, Charles Tyler, et al. are worth checking out.

Isolated tracks but LeRoi Jones (Amiri Baraka) with the New York Art Quartet and Sunny Murray are iconic. Maybe "jazz-adjacent" but of interest is The Jihad album "Black and Beautiful," street corner rap/soul with free-ish embellishments, featuring & released by Jones. Hart Leroy Bibbs with Sunny Murray on the Shandar & Pathé LPs is wonderful tool. Sunny's own poetry on "An Even Break," Archie Shepp's poetry, Amos Mor with Muhal Richard Abrams... all important.

More recently, Steve Dalachinsky's CDs with Joëlle Léandre, Matt Shipp, and Dave Liebman are all incredible.

Amina Baraka & The Red Microphone, a newer CD with Rocco John Iacavone and Ras Moshe Burnett, is good and worth hearing too.

If we're talking beats, the Kenneth Patchen Reads with Jazz in Canada LP is fun and interesting. I love Patchen even without the jazz.

Mike Pearson reading Patchen with Brötzmann's Chicago Tentet is also awesome: https://www.discogs.com/release/1790932-The-Peter-Brötzmann-Chicago-Tentet-Featuring-Mike-Pearson-Be-Music-Night

Some interesting recommendations here.

Few more spring to mind:

Jorge Amado - Guia Das Ruas E Dos Mistérios Da Cidade Do Salvador Da Bahia (with Egberto Gismonti's Academia de Danças)

Michael Mantler - Hapless Child (with Robert Wyatt, Carla Bley, Terje Rypdal, Steve Swallow & Jack DeJohnette)

R-9220396-1476895960-9174.jpg.a5f7fac79fafb0e1e4151bf4538cf15e.jpgR-450820-1222100077.jpg.a7b17a822d8ddab18713d1a4aaa75248.jpg

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Mi05NjM2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Both highly recommended on both counts.

Often wonder about that top one, I should seek out a listen someday and stop wondering.

Second looks interesting if only for WLS and Hopkins 

18 minutes ago, sambrasa said:

Jorge Amado - Guia Das Ruas E Dos Mistérios Da Cidade Do Salvador Da Bahia (with Egberto Gismonti's Academia de Danças)

Oh wow.  That looks interesting!  

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Often wonder about that top one, I should seek out a listen someday and stop wondering.

Second looks interesting if only for WLS and Hopkins 

I should revisit the India Navigation. I wasn't as into it but I think was expecting something it didn't purport to be (i.e., Jihad/Black Dada Nihilismus action).

To put it simply, LeRoi with the NYAQ doing BDN was life-changing for me.

On 5/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I would highly recommend Rhino's three-CD Beat Generation box set, if you can find it.

Found the three CDs of that set for the "pricey" sum of 1 EUR each at the clearout sale of a local record store about 4 weeks ago - but no box case nor booklet, unfortunately. Did find the discographical details online but to get some (more) context surrounding these recordings I'd love to get my hands on a scan of the relevant sections of the booklet.
Apart from that - yes, these recordings are very interesting - and enlightening.

Re- other recommendations, the "Heinrich Heine/Attila Zoller LP mentioned earlier is called "Lyrik und Jazz" and is an achievement in its genre (but probably was plugged to death in the media at the time of its release in ANOTHER attempt at securing "respectability" of jazz among a "wider" public). But to appreciate it fully you would have to be able to master the German language, of course.
But it's not overly expensive on amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/Heinrich-Heine-Lyrik-Jazz-Westphal/dp/B000GH3DVK

Edited by Big Beat Steve

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Found the three CDs of that set for the "pricey" sum of 1 EUR each at the clearout sale of a local record store about 4 weeks ago - but no box case nor booklet, unfortunately. Did find the discographical details online but to get some (more) context surrounding these recordings I'd love to get my hands on a scan of the relevant sections of the booklet.
Apart from that - yes, these recordings are very interesting - and enlightening.

Re- other recommendations, the "Heinrich Heine/Attila ZollerW LP mentioned easrlier is called "Lyrik und Jazz" and is an achievement in its genre (but probalby was plugged to death in the media at the time of its release in ANOTHER attempt at securing "respectability" of jazz among a "wider" public). But to appreaciate it fully you would have to be able to master the German language, of course.
But it's not overly expensive on amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/Heinrich-Heine-Lyrik-Jazz-Westphal/dp/B000GH3DVK

PM sent.