Solo Saxophone

Pim

So I was spinning 5X Monk 5X Lacy by Steve Lacy and Evan Parkers 'Snake Decides' and saw Joe McPhee's Tenor up for a reissue. It's probably an acquired taste and I have to be in a certain mood for it but if I am: I really like a solo saxophone record. My question to you guys: how do you feel about solo saxophone records and If you had to name that one favorite, what would it be. I'd give the ones who have difficulties picking one an expansion to a maximum of three records ;) Thread is nog intented as a name as much as you know but trying to find out which ones everyone would pick if they really had to choose.

For some inspiration the Free Jazz Collective made a nice list

https://www.freejazzblog.org/2008/01/solo-sax_15.html

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McPhee's "Tenor" would be near or at the top of the heap. I am a fan of solo saxophone recordings overall and if a saxophonist I like makes a solo record, I'll check it out. Beyond Lacy, Parker, Braxton, Mitchell, and Abe, who are the pantheon, I'd recommend Marion Brown's "Recollections," which I think is even better than his solo on Sweet Earth. The two volumes of David S. Ware solos on AUM Fidelity are quite beautiful as well. Brötzmann's 14 Love Poems is another choice disc. Dickie Landry's Fifteen Saxophones (15 delayed/looped horns) is a favorite; it also includes one alto flute piece and an out-of-this-world solo tenor piece ("Kitchen Solos"). I wrote the notes for its reissue many years ago. Rob Brown's Oceanic on RogueArt is one I need to pick up -- ordered one from a US seller and they sent me a different Rob Brown CD by mistake (which I didn't have either, so I didn't stress the issue). Apparently it is unreal.

That free jazz blog list is useful. Butcher, definitely. I like Lol a lot but admit to having spent much more time with his group music.

This is also worth checking out... I wish it included *all* of Frippe's Bird Notes recordings but that would've been far too costly to produce and an even more niche interest.

Second Clifford on Tenor, in my opinion it's the greatest of them all. I'm glad it's getting a reissue, hopefully it will get some attention, though I'm going to assume that Black Magic Man will be the one people want to talk about most. Variations On A Blue Line and Graphics are two other excellent early McPhee solos on Hat Hut. As Serious As Your Life is incredible, but it's not strictly saxophone.

That FJB list is pretty thorough but I would especially call out Lone-Lee as an essential listen, particularly in its unedited CD form. This one just really gets my mind humming.

I like Ken Vandermark's solo music quite a bit. Furniture Music might be the place to start, but A Knife In The Water and The Field Within A Line are strong as well. 

Charles Gayle's Unto I Am is mostly sax/reeds and is great.

Seymour Wright's Seymour Writes Back is a masterpiece

Kang Tae Hwan – Live At Café Amores and Makoto Kawashima – Homo Sacer are both fascinating

Ab Baars has a few very good solo albums (Verderame, Time To Do My Lions, And She Speaks)

Haven't listened to too much solo Mats but Torturing The Saxophone is a blast. The Steve Lacy tribute is also deep.

Oh yes, Kang is fantastic. Have several of his LPs/CDs. Used to have Lone-Lee on vinyl but let it go in a cull... should probably get it back at some point. 

some of these others I haven't heard... dig KV and remember when Furniture Music came out, but for whatever reason I just never picked it/those up. Baars, again, only had his ensemble music on disc, though I could imagine the solo work would be worth hearing. I've seen him duo with Ig and in various groups within and outside the ICP orbit.

I think that my overall favorite in the idiom is Steve Lacy. I like them all, but my favorite might be Hocus Pocus—Book 'H' of "Practitioners

Their beginning as etudes and Lacy's expansion of them really highlights the unpredictable inevitability that is imo the core of Lacy's art.

My choices have been covered already I think. Brotzmann (every solo album), Parker (soprano and tenor albums), McPhee (I like the run he did on Roaratorio).

As we're nearly all disregarding @Pim's limit of three I'll throw in these as well,

I have a fondness for Hamiet Bluiett's 'Birthright' and Hemphill's 'Blue Boye'

Evan Parker's 'Zanzou' took a while to track down and was definitely worth the effort.

There's more recent examples too I'm sure but they're not coming to mind right now

The favorite in my collection:

Marion Solo front (Copy).jpg

Marion Solo back (Copy).jpg

Marion Brown: Solo Saxophone. Sweet Earth Records SER 1001 [1977]

On July 1, 1990, Marion and I listened to the record and I took a photo:

Brown-M-photo (Copy).JPG

At the end of the record, Marion murmured, "Strong!"

It's a shame that the records from the small Sweet Earth Catalog haven't been re-released to this day. See: https://www.discogs.com/de/label/48031-Sweet-Earth-Records

18 minutes ago, optatio said:

Brown-M-photo (Copy).JPG

It's a shame that the records from the small Sweet Earth Catalog haven't been re-released to this day. See: https://www.discogs.com/de/label/48031-Sweet-Earth-Records

😍👍 ....

28 minutes ago, optatio said:

Brown-M-photo (Copy).JPG

Too bad the Ed Blackwell LP on Sweet Earth never got released. Maybe there's a chance some intrepid label will put the tapes out on CD...

Great photo of Marion, by the way.

My favorite ones are early John Butcher solo records - "13 Friendly Numbers", "Invisible Ear" and "Fixations (14)". These are the solo saxophone records I return to most often. 

I don't like solo Lacy that much, I definitely prefer Lol Coxhill when it comes to soprano saxophone. With Lacy I get a feeling that rhythm section is missing - particularly when he plays Monk tunes. With Coxhill it's all harmoniously complete.

One excellent solo record that I think was not mentioned is Mototeru Takagi "Love Dance". This is some really lyrical stuff.

https://www.discogs.com/release/22195261-高木元輝-Love-Dance-Solo-Live-At-Galerie-De-Café-伝-Tokyo-1987-1997  

61FFCW61vML._AC_SL1280_.jpg           

And Ellery Eskelin has a very nice solo record: 

I see Urs Leimgruber just released a new solo soprano album, I bet it's good:

MTQtMTQyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Lacy develops motifs, so bring the changes to the table with you if that's what you need.

What an insightful advice! Now I know how to listen to the music the right way. 

Here are couple more excellent albums: Joachim Gies "Whispering Blue" (Leo) and Hermann Bühler "Alto Solo" (Dreamscape).