Have You Ever Heard A Big Band Live?

JSngry

Although I've heard many big bands over the years

( including most of those cited here ), it had been awhile ..

until six weeks ago, when I got to hear my OWN big band live ( the NW Prevailing Winds ) ..for the firsttime when we did two Cd release parties!

Having been a creature of a studio for many years, I forgot the sheer power coming outta those guys! It was really a treat to just sit down in front of 'em and let them go at it !!

I must say.. with some modesty, I DID manage to blow myself away ..

..or rather, the guys did ..it was incredible!

I sure hope we'll be able to do it again later this year ..I've put in some feelers about several NW jazz festivals ...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the saying? "Luck is when opportunity and preparation meet" or something like that. I feel very lucky to have gotten the chance to play with Woody's band, especially since I got to start in '84 when Woody was still around. It was a total groove sitting in that band night after night. It didn't matter if it was Carnegie Hall or a VFW hall in the boonies- the band put out 100% every time they played. And Woody's presence was always inspiring- even though he wasn't playing real well at that point, the energy he'd bring to the stage was amazing. After a while you'd get to the point where you didn't have to get the book out, and that's when things would really get romping. Everyone would have the ears totally on and the shit would get amazingly tight. And the best thing about Woody's band is that there were no stylistic restrictions on how you played. Definitely not a repertory band in that respect. Once in the UK we were doing a clinic and I had just finished playing Bijou, and someone in the audience was bugged that I hadn't played Bill Harris' EXACT solo. I think the response was something like "Well, you know, even Bill Harris didn't play the famous Bill Harris solo night after night". We would sure listen to all the recordings of the band while on the bus, though. There was extreme respect for all the great players who passed through that band. And we got to meet and play with many of them- Getz, Perkins, Nistico, Sims, Cohn etc. Man!!

And talk about a book! Bill Stapleton, Nat Pierce, Neal Hefti, Ralph Burns, Tony Klatka et al. Often the charts would have the names of the players on them instead of "Trombone I" etc. So like Bijou would say "Bill" up in the corner. Or Carl (Fontana) or Henry (Southall) or Jim (Pugh) etc. Really put things in perspective.

Absolutely the greatest musical experience of my life. And when you got a chance to hang w/Woody that was always a trip! Many great stories.

I used to go hear all the big bands in high school (in the 70s) and really got the bug to do that someday. I was really lucky to have gotten in on the tail end of a great time in jazz history. I only wish that all these young players had the same opportunity as I did- it was educational, grueling, humbling, exciting and inspiring all at once. Oh, and I do have some great stories! :wacko::g:ph34r::alien::eye::eye:

The band still plays, just not the rigorous touring schedule that they used to maintain. We usually do a week at Ronnie Scott's every summer (Frank Tiberi leads the Herd these days). Maybe I can hook up with some of our UK friends this July!

Thank god there are people like Phil Kelly et al keeping the tradition alive!

EDIT: And yes, John Tapscott, Opus De Funk is still in the current book. A great chart!

Edited by Free For All

I am a fortunate man; I was an active participant first as a fan, then as a writer, editor and later a record producer while the glory days of the big bands were still with us, and I got to hear them all, some of them many, many times. Ellington, Basie, Herman, Kenton, Lunceford, Shaw, Goodman and on and on. There was nothing like it.

I once wrote a booklet for one of the Franklin Mint Record Society history of jazz volumes that was devoted to the bands of Basie, Herman and Kenton. A portion of the introductory paragraphs went like this, and I hope you won't mind my repeating them:

Those who may not have experienced the electrifying shock of hearing a great jazz band up close are to be pitied. Concert halls are fine, and jazz festivals blast throngs of listeners with huge sound systems, but unless you've had your head in the lion's mouth at a Blue Note, a Birdland or a Crescendo you don't know what it was really like to physically FEEL the energy being generated and to be absorbed right into that sound.

On a good night the band would come at you in waves, and you couldn't do much but sit there helplessly. You knew you were being had, and you knew you were being stripped of all propriety, but you didn't care. There was a joy unmatched, and somehow you had shared something deep and unspoken with those men on the bandstand that you'd never forget. It was thrilling, and if it has never happened to you, I'm sorry.

Basie and Herman and Kenton provided many nights like that for uncounted thousands of people, and even though the voices grow fainter through attrition, if you listen closely you can hear an echo of the cry, "Bring back the big bands!"

As we knew them, they are not coming back, not ever. They are a vanishing breed, like condors or orangutans.

But neither will they ever be totally dead, not so long as there is a leader with the courage to form one, knowing full well the rewards will be small, and so long as there are still some hearts around that beat a little faster (in 4/4, of course) to five trumpets, four trombones, five saxes and four rhythm.

Jack Tracy

Kenny Clarke - Francy Boland Big Band (Boland on electric piano, due to circumstances, which was too loud) - a volcano of a band!

Sun Ra Arkestra (a little sloppy that evening)

Vienna Art Orchestra

Phillip Morris Superband (not super, but pretty good)

Gil Evans (but that was a mini big band)

Most recent was, I think, Andrew Hill with his UK/US band. Saw a lot of touring bands in the late 70s/early 80s though including Woody H, Buddy Rich (about 3 times), Louis Bellson (with Don Menza leading the sax section), Gil Evans UK Orchestra (with the likes of John Surman), Maynard Ferguson and Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy. Other bands seen in more recent years have been Gerald Wilson (absolutely phenomenal - the greatest !), Sun Ra (incredible stamina - best part of 4 hours high octane stuff), Bill Holman's Orchestra (highly impressive LA-based band) and the Italian Instabile Orchestra (total anarchy).

Buddy Rich was just incredible. One of the times I saw him the BBC were filming the show live and apparently my right shoulder featured on many of the shots (I'm assuming the tapes were wiped after transmission). The banter between Buddy and Ronnie Scott was hilarious and the power and precision of the band - just phenomenal.

Edited by sidewinder

For big bands live, just McCoy Tyner Big Band, Blue Note, NYC, about 5-6 years ago or so. Excellent show, Eddie Henderson was on FIRE and definitely took solo honors, but great playing by all. Jerry Gonzalez stopped by to sit in for a couple numbers on congas.

Ellington in the imitation of the Globe theater at the Shakespear festival in Ashland, OR circa '65 (I was outside when my dad walked up and asked if I wanted to go. Got most of their autographs, but quickly lost them. And Sun Ra several times in the '80s, including one truly magical performance at Reed College in Portland. I was in the truly amateur Reed Copllege Stage band, but that really doesn't count.

Jack, any stories from the Philips sessions? Woody's band was in terrific shape during that period.

I guess the sessions we did that I will never forget were in November of 1963. The first date was set for 2 p.m at New York's A&R Studios, which were on the second floor. Just as I was getting on the elevator to go on up, I heard a voice on a radio that was on in the cigar stand on the first floor saying something about someone getting shot.

When I got into the studio I learned that it was President Kennedy who had been shot in Dallas.

We sat there almost in disbelief as the story began to unwind. A decision had to be made: Should we call off the session? A double date was scheduled for the next day (three three-hour recording sessions were customary to complete an album in those days that resulted in about 35-40 minutes of music), and then the band had to leave on a long road trip.

After conferring with the band members, Woody made the decision to go ahead and record so that the album could be completed in time for the company's scheduled release date.

We did three of the sides that day. Not long after the date began came the news that Kennedy had died. There were a lot of grim and sober faces in that room that day, and the professionalism of everyone who was there was taxed. The recording engineer was Phil Ramone, who had done a lot of personal work for Kennedy and knew him well, and I'll never forget the stricken look on his face when we heard the news on the TC set in the control booth that JFK was gone.

The album was completed the following day, and I know that those of us who are still around (the list grows short) will always recall where we were when it was recorded.

Jack Tracy

Those who may not have experienced the electrifying shock of hearing a great jazz band up close are to be pitied. Concert halls are fine, and jazz festivals blast throngs of listeners with huge sound systems, but unless you've had your head in the lion's mouth at a Blue Note, a Birdland or a Crescendo you don't know what it was really like to physically FEEL the energy being generated and to be absorbed right into that sound.

On a good night the band would come at you in waves, and you couldn't do much but sit there helplessly. You knew you were being had, and you knew you were being stripped of all propriety, but you didn't care. There was a joy unmatched, and somehow you had shared something deep and unspoken with those men on the bandstand that you'd never forget. It was thrilling, and if it has never happened to you, I'm sorry.

My sentiments exactly.

I'm of the genereation that still had the opportunity to hear the older big bands in person, but as "events", not as part of the fabric of everyday life.

In other words, I got just enough of a taste to know what it is I missed.

Jack, any stories from the Philips sessions? Woody's band was in terrific shape during that period.

I guess the sessions we did that I will never forget were in November of 1963. The first date was set for 2 p.m at New York's A&R Studios, which were on the second floor. Just as I was getting on the elevator to go on up, I heard a voice on a radio that was on in the cigar stand on the first floor saying something about someone getting shot.

When I got into the studio I learned that it was President Kennedy who had been shot in Dallas.

Jack Tracy

Saw the Basie Band in Chicago Symphony Hall on New Years Eve. They played a 2 hour concert then played dance music for 2 more hours. You could go up on stage and dance right in front of the band. It was very cool... Heard the Gordon Goodwin Big Phat Band last year. Another great band... Have also heard many others in the past, Buddy, Duke, Woodie, Maynard, Toshiko.

• 9 months later...

Up for any (relative) newcomers who might have stories, anecdotes, etc., about seeing and hearing big bands in performance.

I think its a shame that there are so few opportunities to hear large groups close up these days.

On such occasion ( for you in the Pacific NW ) is this coming Saturday 2/5 @ Tulas in Seattle, where the Northwest Prevailing Winds will be getting together tot run down some new charts for a ( hopefully ) upcoming CD later this year ..

end of shameless selff floggery!! :w:w

Since it was mentioned above - I saw the Machito Orchestra in the early 1980's, a years or two before his death, no 'bones, but 4 trumpets including the grteat Chocolate Armenteros and five great saxists, all getting their turn during an endless descarga tune - including Leslie Johnakins, who had been in the band in 1948! Great! Impressed me more than the big jazz bands I saw.

Great question!

Here's my "I saw/heard" list:

- Basie band many times, with and without Basie.

- Duke's band only once at Symphony Hall Newark - children's program - got to meet Duke and Johnny Hodges - still have Duke's autograph!

- Buddy Rich big band - literally hundreds of times between 1970 and last time December 1986. Mostly heard Buddy and his band at a place in Philadelphia called Brandi's Wharf

- Woody's band many, many times, also with and without Woody. Most recent was in 2002 - a concert, believe it or not, at Hollywood Forever Cemetary. This was commemorating the moving of Woody and his wife's remains to a nicer place within the cemetary. Great evening of music, poorly attended due to the cold weather - of course, Frank Tiberi and Woody's band, Joe Lovano, Joe LaBarbera, John LaPorta, Phil Wilson, Andy McGhee, my mom Rebecca Parris, Jake Hanna. I know I"m missing some very important folks. In attendance but not playing - Horace Silver and Buddy Colette. I was sitting next to Horace (a night I'll never forget) and he was so thrilled to hear the band play "Opus de Funk."

- Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin - as recent as about 1 1/2 years ago

- Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass - McConnell is one of my all time favorite arrangers (and an excellent composer, too).

- Stan Kenton - back in the 70's

Yup, I've been pretty darn fortunate!

Marla

As an old geezer, I too heard Goodman,Dorsey,Shaw,Barnet and the rest of them during the 40's and there was nothing more thrilling in the NY theatres when the band rose with the stage playing their theme. But the greatest performances I remember went to Boyd Raeberns band and Herman's herds. And although the least jazzlike band that was a thrilling musical moment was the Sauter Finegan orchestra.

The greatest band moment of real jazz went to an evening in Milwaukee at a dancehall when, on an evening when there was a huge snowstorm and Billy Mays' big band was present. There were maybe 50 or so dancers in a hall big enough for hundreds. The band started the evening playing their book and after a first set,, they gave it up, and played one chorus of a swing number and then we realized that Mays had thrown away the book and the musicians took multi-chorus solos, one after the other. They just jammed without stop and without more than a first and last chorus

from their book. The rest of the numbers were all improvisation and the 50 of us there stopped dancing and just stood at the bandstand listening to them all evening long. The musicians really dug just playing jazz and so did we. A memorable evening, not repeated in my lifetime. :P

Great question!

Here's my "I saw/heard" list:

- Basie band many times, with and without Basie.

- Duke's band only once at Symphony Hall Newark - children's program - got to meet Duke and Johnny Hodges - still have Duke's autograph!

- Buddy Rich big band - literally hundreds of times between 1970 and last time December 1986.  Mostly heard Buddy and his band at a place in Philadelphia called Brandi's Wharf

- Woody's band many, many times, also with and without Woody.  Most recent was in 2002 - a concert, believe it or not, at Hollywood Forever Cemetary.  This was commemorating the moving of Woody and his wife's remains to a nicer place within the cemetary.  Great evening of music, poorly attended due to the cold weather - of course, Frank Tiberi and Woody's band, Joe Lovano, Joe LaBarbera, John LaPorta, Phil Wilson, Andy McGhee, my mom Rebecca Parris, Jake Hanna.  I know I"m missing some very important folks.  In attendance but not playing - Horace Silver and Buddy Colette.  I was sitting next to Horace (a night I'll never forget) and he was so thrilled to hear the band play "Opus de Funk."

- Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin - as recent as about 1 1/2 years ago

- Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass - McConnell is one of my all time favorite arrangers (and an excellent composer, too).

- Stan Kenton - back in the 70's

Yup, I've been pretty darn fortunate!

Marla

I forgot three:

- Multiple times, Maynard Ferguson's big band in the 70's and 80's.

- Maria Schneider's Orchestra at Visiones in NYC

- Mel Lewis Orchestra more times than I can count (at the Vanguard).

Marla

My advantage is my age.

I saw Herman many times from The Band That Plays The Blues, through all the incarnations of the Herds. Kenton a few times, Ellington, Basie, McKinley, Oneof the greatest but little known- Georgie Auld, Goodman, Les Brown, Krupa, James, Calloway, Armstrong,Tommy Dorsey, Jimmy Dorsey, Glen Gray, Dizzy Gillespie, and last of all , but not least of all, Guy Lombardo. Jan Garber and Eddie Duchin. (The last three must have been on the bill with a movie my girl friend wanted to see)

This isn't bragging - this is just an example of one of the advantages of old age.

Fran

I saw Ellington (twice), Herman (both at the same club in Montreal), Basie at Disneyland!, Gil Evans in Paris, LA and Sweet Basil, and Sun Ra at a Country and Western bar in Toronto. However the only one I really got to dance in front of was (I guess ) a pick-up band called Manteca at the El Mocambo in Toronto. Dancing to a good big band that takes solos is really fun. Made me wish I was even older and had gotten to dance to Basie or Ellington. Oh, weel. I did go to a danace where the Dirty "Dozen Brass Band played.

SGUD MISSILE is far too modest. He's confessed elsewhere to having once sat in with the Thornhill band... details, details! :g

Actually, I didn't "sit in " ..During my summer break in college in '57 ( I think ), I actually worked with the Band for about two and a half months ( I think I was somewhere near Winston Welch )

Claude was still usng all that great Mulligan, Evans and Carisi stuff ..and the late ,great Gene Quill became my "road rabbi "

:tup:tup