How many of us can listen to music at work?

Hardbopjazz

I've tried it, but I can't. Jazz is just too interesting. I start listening to what each musician is doing, then I start drifting off into another world, then I start tripping out.....needless to say, it leads to unproductive work days. I work in silence, then reward myself with jazz for the ride home.

In my last three jobs (present job first):

Yes, providing it's things like 'Wheels On The Bus' and other children's faves.

Yes, anything I liked, all of my chosing, but at a sensible volume and battery power permitting (why did I stop working there?).

Yes, but it was an old guy called Trevor (who was actually a deathly, fish-belly white colour as he had worked night shifts since leaving school) who owned the radio. So we got things like local radio chat and Golden Greats -- you know the score! Stuff you would rather not have on.

In my current job, my listening only becomes restricted when I am doing careful audio editing, and I have to concentrate.

Not only does it not bother the boss, but she even returned from Brazil with a Brazilian jazz CD for me. And on top of that, I am now near the end of my second go-round through the 2500 CD collection. In fact, in order to spread things out this time, I think I will drop the picking and choosing and just go from A-Z. At ten CDs per day, that's 50 a week or about 50 weeks. Who said collections get so big you can't listen to it all? :)

I can and do. All day every day. :)

I have a basic receiver, five disc changer and some decent bookshelf speakers and bring 8-10 discs with me evey day.

It doesn't necessarily make the day go faster for me, but at least there is something going on in the background that I enjoy.

It's also nice to pop in new discs as soon as the arrive in the mail.

On my job, I'm in a relatively open area, and we have a radio, but I have no control over what goes on it. Generally, it's either a classic rock station or a disco station, both of which are interminably boring(I might hear the same tune 6 or 7 times in a day!) and repetitive. We have a general rule that if something on the radio is horribly offensive to you, speak up and the station will be changed. It's not worth it for me to speak up(like everyone will listen to jazz!!!), so I just tend to tune it out. But I better have that Discman for the ride home so I can listen to some GOOD music.

I primarily listen to my collection of unofficial live recordings on the JVC boom box in my office throughout the day. I save the official recordings for times when I can give the music a more attentive listen. Most of the time I am not listening very closely - instead I am basically evaluating the sound quality of the discs for trading purposes. There are occassions, however, where the music will grab my attention and I will really listen for several moments.

Edited by relyles

I sometimes sneak something in where I can find a vague connection with the history lesson I'm teaching.

The kids normally throw things at me, however.

Managed Josh White, Mingus and Big Bill Broonzy in a class doing the Civil Rights Movement recently.

I normally hang around for 90 minutes after work to mark and put music on to ease the pain.

Then the other staff throw things at me.

No restrictions with regard to my ability to listen. Actually listening is another issue altogether. I put on a CD, get busy, get distracted, and the next thing I know the CD is over and I haven't heard a thing. Guess I need to prioritize my attention heirarchy.

Up over and out.

My 20 GB mp3 player comes to work with me every day. I have to use headphones which begin to annoy me pretty quickly. When I really need to concentrate I have to turn it off. If a REALLY need to concentrate I turn the music off and leave the headphones on, that way people don't get annoyed when I ignore them.

"Jacknife" is going right now (still don't like the cover). I can listen, rather quietly most of the time at work. Thank goodness! Like Mule I have difficulty listening at home during the week to anywhere near the extent I listen at work . . . but I can listen more loudly at home when I can listen. Most of my quality listening is the weekend.

Come on Saturday!

I can listen at work but choose not to.

One, I tend to listen to the music rather than working. Not good.

Two, I don't like for my jazz collection to remind of where I work. I like to have my jazz listening associated with relaxation, enjoyment, and the many other positive vibes of home.

I can listen to music at work, but it's difficult to hear it sometimes, because I work in a lab that typically can have a lot of noise (from running water), and there are 2 other CD players that when playing can bleed into my area, so to listen to jazz is very difficult because you can't make out some of the wonderful subtleties, plus the crowd that I work with think Guns N Roses and Bon Jovi is "wicked, kick-ass" music, so jazz doesn't appeal to these people.

I cannot listen to jazz when I am working. I simply can't concentrate. However, I can listen to classical music. I ususally have the classical station on at a low level, or play classical CDs. I find Bach, Mozart, Couperin, Marais, and various Baroque performances not only relaxing but also help me focus most of the time. When I really have concentrate, I turn off the music.

When I get home, I go straight to the jazz collection :D