What's the worst song of all time?

Aggie87

"Sugar Shack." 

I've read the entire thread and it's "Sugar Shack."  Nothing mentioned even comes close.   

'Nuff said.

As lame as that song was. Sugar,Sugar not only comes close but it passes it .One of my candidates for the jukebox in hell.

"Sugar Sugar" is dorky pop. "Sugar Shack" is evil. There is no comparison.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few off the top of my head....

Phil Collins - Against All Odds

Phil Collins - Another Day in Paradise

Phil Collins - I Wish it would Rain Down

Phil Collins - Do You Remember

Phil Collins - Don't Lose My Number

Phil Collins - Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

Phil Collins - Groovy Kind of Love

Phil Collins - Both Sides of the Story

Phil Collins - True Colors

Phil Collins - You'll Be in my Heart

Phil Collins - One More Night

Hmmmm....I think there might be a pattern here, but I can't quite put my finger on it :D

heheheh, reminds me of that scene in some recent German television film, in which some guys break out, take a hitchiking girl along and are bound for Denmark or whatever. Takes them a long time to get there. At one point the girl, after waking from a nap, asks where they are and the answer is "North of Hamburg." "Ah, Phil Collins Zone," the girl replies, switches on the radio and there's that drek filling the bus. Great scene.

Tried it myself some time ago. We were near Kiel (North of Hamburg), I jokingly remarked that would be Phil Collins Zone, switched on the radio and DAMN, it's true!!! :rmad:

Edited by couw

Here's a few off the top of my head....

Phil Collins - Against All Odds

Phil Collins - Another Day in Paradise

Phil Collins - I Wish it would Rain Down

Phil Collins - Do You Remember

Phil Collins - Don't Lose My Number

Phil Collins - Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

Phil Collins - Groovy Kind of Love

Phil Collins - Both Sides of the Story

Phil Collins - True Colors

Phil Collins - You'll Be in my Heart

Phil Collins - One More Night

Hmmmm....I think there might be a pattern here, but I can't quite put my finger on it :D

Yeah, but "I Can't Dance" makes up (just a bit) for some of those songs!

(But nothing can ever make up for "Another Day in Paradise"!)

At the risk of suffering the slings and arrows of the masses, I nominate "Jailhouse Rock".

The sight of Elvis, dancing around the tiers of cells, singing this ridiculous song, haunts me to this day.

Keep in mind that I speak as a rabid fan of "The King", when he was at the peak of his career. In fact, my older brother once reduced me to tears by derisively telling me that I was "not really an Elvis Presley fan".

Edited by patricia

At the risk of suffering the slings and arrows of the masses, I nominate "Jailhouse Rock".

The sight of Elvis, dancing around the tiers of cells, singing this ridiculous song, haunts me to this day.

Keep in mind that I speak as a rabid fan of "The King", when he was at the peak of his career. In fact, my older brother once reduced me to tears by derisively telling me that I was "not really an Elvis Presley fan".

There should be a separate thread for Elvis songs, there really should. You're in a whole 'nother world with him (the Elvis Zone, as it were.) He did some of the worst and best pop songs of all time----but with some of his worst songs, the kitsch doubles back on itself, and the song becomes a masterpiece. So bad it's great, sort of. "Viva Las Vegas" is an example. Yet even many of his best songs have an element of kitsch to them. He was an enigma (wrapped in a cheeseburger...)

Not to mention other fried cholesterol bombs that the King indulged himself in.

I have actually made a low-fat, modified version of his favourite sandwich, which I have, occasionally, for lunch.

The original involved thick slices of white bread, buttered, both on the inside and the outside, suitable for frying later. The filling was a thick layer of peanut butter, on the inside of both slices of bread, on top of the butter already there. This was topped with a sliced banana and then topped again with as much bacon as the King was able to cram in there. This heart attack on a plate was apparently a favourite snack.

My own version is two slices of whole-grain bread, no butter, peanut-butter right to the edges, sliced banana and hold the bacon. Grill in one of those sandwich thingies. It makes a very nice lunch and I don't anticipate reaching three hundred pounds, anytime soon, as it is rumoured the King did. No wonder.

Yes, Elvis did turn into a characature of himself, as did Sinatra, toward the end of his career. Neither one of them could remember the words to their huge hits. Sad really.

May I nominate Marty Robbins' "El Paso"? This was a song that was I think over four minutes long and played constantly, on every radio station, for months. By the time the torture was over and it had moved down the charts, I was thisclose to paying somebody to kill the D.J.s and have Robbins pummelled.

Edited by patricia

Keep in mind that I speak as a rabid fan of "The King", when he was at the peak of his career.  In fact, my older brother once reduced me to tears by derisively telling me that I was "not really an Elvis Presley fan".

There should be a separate thread for Elvis songs, there really should. You're in a whole 'nother world with him (the Elvis Zone, as it were.) He did some of the worst and best pop songs of all time----but with some of his worst songs, the kitsch doubles back on itself, and the song becomes a masterpiece. So bad it's great, sort of. "Viva Las Vegas" is an example. Yet even many of his best songs have an element of kitsch to them. He was an enigma (wrapped in a cheeseburger...)

I love Jail House Rock. If that song or anything by James Brown comes on while I'm driving, I resist the urge to pull over, get out of the car, and do the funky chicken. Not a pretty sight, I might add.

Elvis' song about the child in the ghetto prompts dry heaves every time I hear it. It was a cynical attempt to produce a song "relevant" to the times. Yeeeeechh.

What I don't understand is this - why is it that on that fateful night, when, in desperation, the young man breaks away, that he buys a gun and steals a car? What's the message here - that he's driven to crime but still remembers his manners?

Either an incredibly sick stereotype or some sublime nuance, I can't tell which. But coming from the same guy who did "Baby, Don't get Hooked On Me..."

Not to mention other fried cholesterol bombs that the King indulged himself in.

I have actually made a low-fat, modified version of his favourite sandwich, which I have, occasionally, for lunch.

The original involved thick slices of white bread, buttered, both on the inside and the outside, suitable for frying later. The filling was a thick layer of peanut butter, on the inside of both slices of bread, on top of the butter already there. This was topped with a sliced banana and then topped again with as much bacon as the King was able to cram in there. This heart attack on a plate was apparently a favourite snack.

My own version is two slices of whole-grain bread, no butter, peanut-butter right to the edges, sliced banana and hold the bacon. Grill in one of those sandwich thingies. It makes a very nice lunch and I don't anticipate reaching three hundred pounds, anytime soon, as it is rumoured the King did. No wonder.

The original (Elvis) version of that would be fine if it weren't for the damn banana. (Yuck!)

I've gotta say, I'm with Rainy on "Jailhouse Rock"---a classic (to me). But "It's Now Or Never" was pretty vomit-inducing.

Actually, any song that you don't particularly like, if it's played ad infinitum (as hits tend to be) begins to seem like it's sucking your soul out with a straw every time you hear it. Personally painful examples:

"You Light Up My Life"

"Material Girl"

"My Life" (title?)---by Billy Joel....I swear, for years, everytime I got in the car with my parents this song would be playing on the radio. It went from harmless ditty to soul-sucking demon from Hell.

Any one of these songs, if I had heard them only once, I would have no hatred for at all. (Though in that case, I probably wouldn't remember them, either.)

Edited by BruceH

I remember 'You Light Up My Life', what a disgusting piece of tripe,and it seemed as if it were playing everywhere simultaneously.Debby Boonewas also the daughter of the man who made the vanilla versions of Little Richard('Tutti Fruitti', anyone?) AND did a heavty metal album- a truly revolting family who should only sing at home and never record again!