Art Pepper 16 CD Boxset "The Complete Galaxy Recor

Zweitausendeins had these Fantasy sets for years in the catalogue, for 5 Euro/CD (80 Euro for the Pepper set). That's a normal price, given the cheap packaging.

Then they decided to sell out these sets. The price of less than 2 Euro/CD was exceptional, and they were gone very quickly.

As far as I know, the remastering of the sets is identical to the US sets. I have the Pepper, Miles, Monk and Bill Evans Riverside sets and the sound is decent but dated. ZYX started their own (partly horrible) remastering only later.

I find the official prices of the US sets is to be too high. They're almost as expensive as Mosaic sets, but their collector's value is much lower.

Edited by Claude

The sets sound like the first CD reissues from Fantasy (1986-89): Lacking dynamics and frequency extension. Dull but rather clean. For non-audiophiles it will be acceptable, but the K2 CDs of the same recordings are much superior.

The packaging consists of jewel cases containing 4 CDs each (probably like the US sets). Whereas the US sets are packaged in LP-size boxes with a LP-size color (?) booklet containing complete discographical info and notes (like Mosaic sets), in the ZYX sets the jewel cases are in a very tightly fitting carton sleeve (difficult to handle), and the b/w booklet is reduced to CD size (very small text) and missing much of the content (notes and original album listing)

Luckily, John (couw) made some additional booklets with complete discographical info (session info and original album names) in MS Word, that can be printed and folded and fit the boxes. They are phenomenal.

You can find the download location for the booklets with the board search function, as well as other discussions of these sets.

Edited by Claude

The german issues are shabby, the cardboard box flimsy and the booklet unreadable. :angry:

Yes, but affordable.

And the music's magnificent!

Yes, but coupled with all that and Claude's view that the sound is ok, there would seem to be a reason why the US edition is somewhat more ($225). However, I also agree with his view that it's probably overpriced. Based on what I hear here, I'll pass on the ZYX set.

BTW, when this discussion started, this seller had for set. Now, there are 2. We've got market power ;)

Edited by Brad

The german issues are shabby, the cardboard box flimsy and the booklet unreadable. :angry:

Yes, but affordable.

Yes, but coupled with all that and Claude's view that the sound is ok, there would seem to be a reason why the US edition is somewhat more ($225). However, I also agree with his view that it's probably overpriced. Based on what I hear here, I'll pass on the ZYX set.

BTW, when this discussion started, this seller had for set. Now, there are 2. We've got market power ;)

Well unfortunately for me the saying

'Beggars cant be choosers'

rings true.

Yes, but coupled with all that and Claude's view that the sound is ok, there would seem to be a reason why the US edition is somewhat more ($225).  However, I also agree with his view that it's probably overpriced.  Based on what I hear here, I'll pass on the ZYX set.

BTW, when this discussion started, this seller had for set.  Now, there are 2.  We've got market power ;)

Brad, I purchased the German set from another eBay seller a few months ago. I am VERY pleased with the sound. although I do agree with the complaint about the booklet. However, for this price, and unless you have the ears of an Alsatian (and I don't mean from Alsace-Lorraine) then this is a bargain in comparison to the U.S. set. I have seen the U.S. set go for anywhere between $150-190 on eBay.

Now.. can someone point me in the direction of Couw's invaluable improvement on the German booklet, please?

Edited by garthsj

Yes, but affordable.

rings true.

Hey, I'm no beggar, impoverished, maybe, beggar no. Course I never refuse a handout :P

My Galaxy box has a tiny sticker from Tower Records with a $223,99 price tag.

Bought the box when it came out around 1990 but can't recall buying this in the USA (and carrying it back). Probably got it in Paris at a more reasonable price.

Yes, but coupled with all that and Claude's view that the sound is ok, there would seem to be a reason why the US edition is somewhat more ($225).  However, I also agree with his view that it's probably overpriced.  Based on what I hear here, I'll pass on the ZYX set.

BTW, when this discussion started, this seller had for set.  Now, there are 2.  We've got market power ;)

Brad, I purchased the German set from another eBay seller a few months ago. I am VERY pleased with the sound. although I do agree with the complaint about the booklet. However, for this price, and unless you have the ears of an Alsatian (and I don't mean from Alsace-Lorraine) then this is a bargain in comparison to the U.S. set. I have seen the U.S. set go for anywhere between $150-190 on eBay.

Now.. can someone point me in the direction of Couw's invaluable improvement on the German booklet, please?

Garth,

Here's the link to couw's work.

Yes, but affordable.

rings true.

Hey, I'm no beggar, impoverished, maybe, beggar no. Course I never refuse a handout :P

OOPs sorry Brad . Does that read that I was calling you a beggar? I wasnt trying to say that at all-I was reffering to me . All I was trying to say was my choice was some cheap Art Pepper or none at all.

Well, I'll 'fess up, I bought a set based on the first post and the comments back and forth. I have probably 1/3 of the music as individual CDs, but it sounded like a pretty good deal, especially since I could get the better liner notes (thanks couw!).

No question that this forum is hard on the wallet. Recently I got Ranelin's Vibes from the Tribe, which I like, and just ordered Whitaker's Black Renaissance based on forum comments. So far I haven't been disappointed.

OOPs sorry Brad . Does that read that I was calling you a beggar? I wasnt trying to say that at all-I was reffering to me . All I was trying to say was my choice was some cheap Art Pepper or none at all.

Gary,

I didn't think so. Just thought I'd bring some levity :winky:

Gary,

I didn't think so. Just thought I'd bring some levity :winky:

:tup