Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$%28KGrHqV,!l0FFznYis42BRg!5QHfeg~~60_35

Sabby Lewis - Boston Bounce (Phoenix). Six 1946 studio sides by Sabby's eight-piece Boston band, two 1944 New York airchecks by a full big band, and a 1944 jam session on side two. Paul Gonsalves, Big Nick Nicholas, Freddie Webster, and Ray Perry are on hand on various cuts, and there's a Tadd Dameron arrangement. JImmy Tyler is very impressive on alto sax. Hadn't spun this for awhile - nice stuff.

Bill Dixon - Considerations 1972-1976 [Fore]

first time listen - revelatory stuff

I'll have to look out for that. I have the CD reissue of Intents and Purposes, which is desert island music for me, and I'd love to find this on vinyl.

I picked up a copy of Kenny Wheeler's around 6 this morning, which seems excellent on first spin - Evan Parker on reeds, and Eje Thelin on trombone really stand out. Interesting to think about possible links between this music, and Miles Davis' ESP, or Sorcerer.

Edited by Liberdade

Clifford is your Tony Oxley vinyl quiet? My friend has a copy...looks fine but is quite noisy. I used to have "baptised traveller" on vinyl and it too looked mint but had annoying tics and pops.

As for Bill Dixon I must confess I still have not listened to much of the 6CD "odyssey" box set despite buying it upon release directly from Bill. I'm pretty sure some of that Fore material is on this box...

I picked up a copy of Kenny Wheeler's around 6 this morning, which seems excellent on first spin - Evan Parker on reeds, and Eje Thelin on trombone really stand out. Interesting to think about possible links between this music, and Miles Davis' ESP, or Sorcerer.

I absolutely love "around 6", but I'm a huge fan of both Kenny Wheeler AND Edward Vesala so it's a no brainer for me :)

Bill Dixon - Considerations 1972-1976 [Fore]

first time listen - revelatory stuff

Yes, both volumes are essential.

Thought you may say that! second volume's in the post

Clifford is your Tony Oxley vinyl quiet? My friend has a copy...looks fine but is quite noisy. I used to have "baptised traveller" on vinyl and it too looked mint but had annoying tics and pops.

As for Bill Dixon I must confess I still have not listened to much of the 6CD "odyssey" box set despite buying it upon release directly from Bill. I'm pretty sure some of that Fore material is on this box...

I absolutely love "around 6", but I'm a huge fan of both Kenny Wheeler AND Edward Vesala so it's a no brainer for me :)

possibly my favourite Kenny and I like a lot of them a lot

Loadsa vinyl this morning and afternoon

RGHHAF.JPG

Richard 'Groove' Holmes - New groove/Night glider - Groove Merchant twofer

Lionel_Hampton_Flying_Home.jpg

Lionel Hampton - Flyin' home - Verve (UK Polydor) - somewhat more modern plane than Lunceford's - but it was 1954

1310210925_folder.jpg

Lou Donaldson - Lush life - BN (Pathe Marconi DMM)

51AZXRNZ6JL.jpg

Art Blakey - The big beat - BN (Pathe Marconi DMM Mono)

115742733.jpg

Gene Ammons - Blue groove - Prestige mid price (!) - previously unreleased (until 1982) recordings done on the sly at Chess in 1962.

114600217.jpg

James Brown - Ain't it funky - King (Polydor)

Mm, yes, it is quite funky

blue-gene.jpg

Gene Ammons - Blue Gene - Prestige (OJC)

LesMcCann_Montreux.jpg

Les McCann - Live at Montreux - Atlantic

Just finished playing this - exhausted! (As usual, actually). 'Swiss movement' may be the classic session, but this one is the DEEP Les McCann. And, on side 4, halfway through 'Get yourself together' with most of Rahsaan's band on stage banging things, when Rahsaan walks on blowing like hell, my heart just overflows!

MG

Yeah, my copy of that Oxley is fine. The Baptised Traveller is a bit crackly in the quiet parts of "Stone Garden" but dealable.

The LP material on Odyssey was previously on The Collection (Cadence) and Bill Dixon 1982 (Edizioni Ferrari). If I recall correctly the Fore material is not on Odyssey as there have been problems licensing it from Splasch, who bought the Fore catalog. The unissued Fore triple LP, In the Sign of the Labyrinth, is a current interest for publication but again, it's tied up in another label's vaults.

Edited by clifford_thornton