What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That's good to hear. I only have this and two with Satoh, 'Canto Of Aries' and one I can't recall its title.  I'm a bit wary of a MOR tendency that I have no evidence to support. Any pointers for others?

I have mostly listened to the early 70s ones, which are a mix of big band, funk and electric keyboards. Tsuchi no Ne and New Herd are my favourites I think. The first of those is streamable I think (土の音). 

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I have mostly listened to the early 70s ones, which are a mix of big band, funk and electric keyboards. Tsuchi no Ne and New Herd are my favourites I think. The first of those is streamable I think (土の音). 

Thanks, I'll have a look around

16 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I picked up many of the Singers Unlimited albums on CD at a library sale. They sound great, big improvement over the LPs, many of which I had. One performance that I can't get out my head is "The More I See You," the ending especially.

Have them all on MPS vinyls. Great vocal group beside the Hi-Lo's (different sound) and my # 1 vocal group  favorite "The Frosh"

All the talk about Moodsville got me to pull out a few tonight... first up:

Kenny Burrell - Bluesy Burrell (Moodsville MV-20). I have the blue Prestige label, not the green Moodsville one. Some crackles on side one but otherwise, OK for a spin.

Kenny Burrell With Coleman Hawkins - Bluesey Burrell | Discogs

That was followed by Coleman Hawkins - Coleman Hawkins Plays Make Someone Happy From Do Re Mi (Moodsville MV-31).

Coleman Hawkins - Make Someone Happy | Releases | Discogs

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

All the talk about Moodsville got me to pull out a few tonight... first up:

Kenny Burrell - Bluesy Burrell (Moodsville MV-20). I have the blue Prestige label, not the green Moodsville one. Some crackles on side one but otherwise, OK for a spin.

Kenny Burrell With Coleman Hawkins - Bluesey Burrell | Discogs

Wow..."Tres Talbras"?!?!?! And on the cover no less?  And I'm not going to the mat on this one, but I think it was originally a bolero, not a bossa? Glad they fixed that on subsequent releases!

GREAT record, though!

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow..."Tres Talbras"?!?!?! And on the cover no less?  And I'm not going to the mat on this one, but I think it was originally a bolero, not a bossa? Glad they fixed that on subsequent releases!

GREAT record, though!

Isn´t Tres Talbras on a Joe Henderson album from the 70´s also (Canyon Lady) ? 

Roscoe Mitchell - L-R-G / The Maze / S II Examples (Nessa, 1978)

L-R-G_The_Maze_SII_Examples_Cover.jpg

My wife slept in this morning so I took the opportunity to introduce the kids to one of the classics. 

Findings:

Still a great record.

The toddler loves a boogie so much that she can find the rhythm in literally anything. How you can shake your thing to Leo Smith, Roscoe Mitchell and George Lewis playing with no discernable time structure at all bewilders me, but she managed to find the beat somehow.

The 3 year old has so little interest in music that he thought this was a Lenny White record that I had played the day before. Austere jazz-linked composition does just as well as any other kind of music.

44 minutes ago, Pim said:

R-1498770-1225465428.jpeg.jpg

2008 Souljazz issue. Sounds great and the music is out of this world. Theme de Yoyo could make every day a happy one, even a boring grey Sunday afternoon in January. I do wonder if they paid their dues to Nessa records @Chuck Nessa Nessa records isnt mentioned anywhere.

Mr Nessa tells that story somewhere on the board, I'm sure. He ended up with a consignment to sell as payment iirc

1 hour ago, Pim said:

R-1498770-1225465428.jpeg.jpg

2008 Souljazz issue. Sounds great and the music is out of this world. Theme de Yoyo could make every day a happy one, even a boring grey Sunday afternoon in January. I do wonder if they paid their dues to Nessa records @Chuck Nessa Nessa records isnt mentioned anywhere.

Original recordings were done in Paris by Pathé Marconi, licensed in the US by Nessa Records. I believe EMI still holds the rights but I am sure Chuck could fill in the details (and has elsewhere on the board).

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

R-12402306-1534555350-6186.jpeg.jpg

NY, mono

Yep, saw that band playing many of the tracks on Eastern Rebellion 2 but with David Williams in place of Sam Jones.

Williams still very active at Smalls. I frequently see him on their live stream on YouTube. It's obvious he carries a great reputation. Playing nowadays with the next generation of Farnsworth and Alexander. (But they themselves are now seen as the older generation by such people as Emmet Cohen and Benny Benack III.) The music marches on!