What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

91KCCPxI7BL._SX425_.jpg

Jerome Richardson Goes to the Movies (UA mono). I found this one, as well as the Med Flory above, at a "pop-up" LP sale in a warehouse not far from my house - 40,000 unsorted records in boxes on the floor. I spent about an hour there and probably only looked through a quarter of the boxes. Mostly junk, of course, but I walked out with seven LPs, in exchange for which I gave the guy the five bucks he asked for. Anyway, this Jerome Richardson album, which I thought could be pretty lame, is very good.

Later: To elaborate - no matter how unpromising some of the material looks ("Never on Sunday"?), the arrangements are imaginative, and Richardson plays as if his life depends on it. Really glad I discovered this one.

I've seen that LP a couple of times - seems to be fairly coveted by the DJ set.

When O-Board Shawn (the All-Time A-1 World Champeen Jerome Richardson Fan, for sure!) lived here (in the DFW area, not in front of my computer in my house), he hipped to this side. It is indeed a solid stone gas, and came up as one of those mystery-pressed New Copy vinyls at DG a while back. I can only second what implicit implications to carpe diem this bad boy that are in the air at this moment.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, live often provides that extra shot of energy that can turn even a ballad into a heavy hitter.

More Motian, but also some Jim Pepper:

Paul+Motian+Quintet+-+Misterioso+-+cover

MISTERIOSO - Paul Motian Quintet - w/Jim Pepper (ts, ss), Joe Lovano (ts), Bill Frisell (elec g), Ed Schuller (b). Soul Note 1986.

John Clark - Faces [ECM] w. David Friedman, John Christensen (guaranteed satisfaction)

Gallery - s/t [ECM] w.David Samuels, Michael DiPasqua, Paul McCandless, David Darling, Ratzo Harris

two LP only ECMs (I'm prepared to be corrected) that have a similar soundworld my ears - an open and wide "American" sound that differs from the contemporaneous European ECM sound. Too simple to say one sounds sunny and the other more wintry but there's something in that.

Both very worthwhile I find.

24558_2.jpg

YOUR TONIGHT IS MY TOMORROW - Eric Watson (p), Steve Lacy (ss), J-P Celea (b), Aaron Scott (d). 1987. Paris. Owl LP

Not sure what the connection was between Watson and Lacy, but they recorded twice AFAIK. Interesting to hear Lacy here as a "sideman," playing in a group different from his own. Alas, Lacy's only on 3 of the LPs cuts.

Tonight's 45 RPM Mardi Gras playlist:

1. Professor Longhair - Go to the Mardi Gras/Everyday, Everynight (Ron)
2. Professor Longhair - Big Chief, parts 1 & 2 (Watch)
3. Earl King - Street Parade, parts 1 & 2 (Kansu)
4. Olympia Brass Band - Mardi Gras in New Orleans, parts 1 & 2 (Olympia BB)
5. Olympia Brass Band - Gotta Woman/Tuba Fats and Drums (Olympia BB)
6. Dave Bartholomew - Yeah Yeah/People Are Talking (Imperial)
7.Fats Domino - So Long/When My Dreamboat Comes Home (Imperial)
8. Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Blackbird Special, parts 1 & 2 (Mad Musicians)
9. Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Lil Liza Jane/Feet Can't Fail Me Now (Mad Musicians)
10. Bill Sinigal and the Skyliners - Second Line, parts 1 & 2 (White Cliffs)
11. The Wild Magnolias - Iko Iko/Smoke My Peace Pipe (Make It Right) (Polydor)
12. The Wild Magnolias - They Call Us Wild/Jumalaka Boom Boom (Barclay)
13. Chuck Carbo - Second Line on Monday/Meet Me With Your Black Draws On (sic) (504)
14. Chosen Few Brass Band - Food Stamp Blues/Big Leg Woman (Syla)
15. Rebirth Brass Band - Put Your Right Foot Forward/New Second Line (Syla)
16. Lee Dorsey - Ya Ya/Give Me You (Fury)
17. Jessie Hill - Oop Poo Pah Doo, parts 1 & 2 (Minit)
18. Oliver Morgan - Who Shot the LaLa/Hold Your Dog (GNP Crescendo)
19. Al Johnson - Carnival Time/Good Lookin' (Ron)

and my favorite New Orleans R & B single of all time:

20: L'il Queenie and the Percolators - My Darlin' New Orleans/Wild Natives (Great Southern)

The Dirty Dozen and Rebirth records have never appeared on an album, and a few others here are equally rare.

Jeffcrom I admire your patience! In my teens/early 20s I thought 45s were the coolest but now I find them a royal pain in the butt. Maybe in 20 years after my kids have grown up I'll have the time to enjoy the 1000 singles I have collecting dust currently ;)

They're mainly indie/punk rock stuff though...very little "jazz" outside of some early Nels Cline singles, etc

Right now:

Magma "s/t" (Philips, France). In a magma mood tonight after buying tickets today for their April appearance in Vancouver. I last saw Christian Vander here in Vancouver at the Glass Slipper with his jazz piano trio around 1994 and interviewed him for a fanzine I produced around that time. That show was great, but I'm excited to see him with Magma finally!

Jeffcrom I admire your patience! In my teens/early 20s I thought 45s were the coolest but now I find them a royal pain in the butt.

I know that a lot of folks think that getting up to turn over the record every three minutes is a pain - but I just figure that, at my age, the exercise does me good.

Tonight's 45 RPM Mardi Gras playlist:

1. Professor Longhair - Go to the Mardi Gras/Everyday, Everynight (Ron)

2. Professor Longhair - Big Chief, parts 1 & 2 (Watch)

3. Earl King - Street Parade, parts 1 & 2 (Kansu)

4. Olympia Brass Band - Mardi Gras in New Orleans, parts 1 & 2 (Olympia BB)

5. Olympia Brass Band - Gotta Woman/Tuba Fats and Drums (Olympia BB)

6. Dave Bartholomew - Yeah Yeah/People Are Talking (Imperial)

7.Fats Domino - So Long/When My Dreamboat Comes Home (Imperial)

8. Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Blackbird Special, parts 1 & 2 (Mad Musicians)

9. Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Lil Liza Jane/Feet Can't Fail Me Now (Mad Musicians)

10. Bill Sinigal and the Skyliners - Second Line, parts 1 & 2 (White Cliffs)

11. The Wild Magnolias - Iko Iko/Smoke My Peace Pipe (Make It Right) (Polydor)

12. The Wild Magnolias - They Call Us Wild/Jumalaka Boom Boom (Barclay)

13. Chuck Carbo - Second Line on Monday/Meet Me With Your Black Draws On (sic) (504)

14. Chosen Few Brass Band - Food Stamp Blues/Big Leg Woman (Syla)

15. Rebirth Brass Band - Put Your Right Foot Forward/New Second Line (Syla)

16. Lee Dorsey - Ya Ya/Give Me You (Fury)

17. Jessie Hill - Oop Poo Pah Doo, parts 1 & 2 (Minit)

18. Oliver Morgan - Who Shot the LaLa/Hold Your Dog (GNP Crescendo)

19. Al Johnson - Carnival Time/Good Lookin' (Ron)

and my favorite New Orleans R & B single of all time:

20: L'il Queenie and the Percolators - My Darlin' New Orleans/Wild Natives (Great Southern)

The Dirty Dozen and Rebirth records have never appeared on an album, and a few others here are equally rare.

A reminder to me to put on some Jesse Hill - preferably the Charly CD with a few bits of hilarious studio talk.