wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,013 posts in this topic

Stitt plays some wonderful sax on that album! Roach is a better choice than Blakey in the Giants of Jazz, IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Wonderful ! I love that record and if I want to hear original bop tunes with a better recording sound than the original Savoy´s or Dial´s , THIS is my first choice. It´s a real Allstar session, I think I like it even more than the "Giants of Jazz". 

One think I noticed About during that time, when I just had started to listen to jazz: Of Course I knew Dizzy , but it was the first time I saw Sonny Stitt and if you look at them, Dizzy Looks much younger than Sonny, though he is 7 years older. And when I saw them playing, I thought "who is that old man who Plays so Wonderful sax, who Looks like someone who might have been close to Charlie Parker...….? Incredible, but true. 

43 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Stitt plays some wonderful sax on that album! Roach is a better choice than Blakey in the Giants of Jazz, IMHO.

Agreed ! 

A few years later Dizzy played a great concert in NY, with an Allstar Bigband, and with a small Group (Dizzy, Gerry Mulligan, John Lewis, a bass Player, and Max Roach). I have the DVD and you can hear and see, how well Max fits in that set of vintage bop (they did HotHouse, and Tin Tin Deo). On the larger part, the Big Band tunes it´s Grady Tate on drums, but that sounds a bit rougher than Max, but that´s only my own Impression. 

To see Max in Action on that Video set of Music was also a nice experience for my wife, who doesn´t necessarly listen to jazz but said "that´s really a good Drummer"......

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

:tupVery nice line-up:tup ....

It was a good day :)

11 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

One think I noticed About during that time, when I just had started to listen to jazz: Of Course I knew Dizzy , but it was the first time I saw Sonny Stitt and if you look at them, Dizzy Looks much younger than Sonny, though he is 7 years older. And when I saw them playing, I thought "who is that old man who Plays so Wonderful sax, who Looks like someone who might have been close to Charlie Parker...….? Incredible, but true. 

Dizzy does indeed look much younger. 

R-11969429-1525714643-9770.jpeg.jpgR-11969429-1562986345-8274.jpeg.jpg

R-11595718-1519126292-8981.jpeg.jpg

R-2445856-1399126097-8880.jpeg.jpg

Surprise!!!

21 hours ago, sidewinder said:

R-7181639-1435574777-6480.jpeg.jpg

Toshiba pressing

I also have the Toshiba. Really a wonderful record and probably the only occasion whan Dannie Richmond recorded for Blue Note

On 31.1.2020 at 11:19 PM, sidewinder said:

R-3792268-1351988918-4472.jpeg.jpg

NY mono

I love this too

Les Filles de Illighadad (Sahel Sounds)Image result for les filles de illighadad sahel soundsImage result for Kai Winding Penny Lane

Kai Winding, Penny Lane and Time (Verve)

R-6768168-1426246367-3817.jpeg.jpg

CTI  CTX 6031/32 Don Sebesky " Giant Box" - Rec at Van Gelder Studios April / May 1973

with

Don Sebesky (p/ep/organ/clavinet/accordion) / Bob James (p/organ) / Ron Carter (b/eb/ piccolo b) / Billy Cobham (dr) /  Airto (perc) / George Benson (g) /  Margaret Ross (harp) / Paul Desmons (as) / Joe Farrell (ss) / Groov er Washington jr. (as) / Milt Jackson (vibes) / Freddie Hubbard (tp & fh) / Hubert Laws (fl /ss) / Jakie Cain (voc) +horns, woodwind section, violins  & cellos

37798111eb.jpg

37797911wz.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

On 2.2.2020 at 9:03 PM, sidewinder said:

s-l400.jpg

Another nice Toshiba

All three Don Cherry Albums are great. I think this was hard to find during my youth. I somehow could find "Complete Communion" and "Where´s Brooklyn?" but the "Improvisers" had to wait until the CD Era. 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

All three Don Cherry Albums are great. I think this was hard to find during my youth. I somehow could find "Complete Communion" and "Where´s Brooklyn?" but the "Improvisers" had to wait until the CD Era. 

And then came down Mosaic...

Edited by porcy62

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Which is why it was in the first batch of Connoisseur releases. Those first 12 Connoisseur releases were chosen specifically because of their scarcity.

R-1820374-1519511221-6318.jpeg.jpg

LP 1 of 2 - Originally released as Buck Clayton Jams Benny Goodman (Columbia, 1955)

EDIT:
Now spinning LP 2 of 2 - Originally released as Jumpin' at the Woodside (Columbia, 1955)

I never got the Buck Clayton Mosaic set, but these two LPs are Deeee-licious.  :wub:

Edited by HutchFan

Going through a pile of LPS I purchased at an estate sale probably last spring,  Lots of Duke Ellington, Ella and Satchmo were in the pile I got to first that day but probably listened to just some of the Duke stuff since then   Decided to correct that today so its Louis and Ella the rest of the day.  Currently spinning side two of a mono  6 eye of Louis Armstrong and His Hot Five Vol 1

R-13692003-1559135710-1547.jpeg.jpg

Eddie Harris - Bad Luck Is All I Have (Atlantic, 1975)

BeatBop.jpg

all praise be to the God Rammellzee spinning on the table that turns. 

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-13692003-1559135710-1547.jpeg.jpg

Eddie Harris - Bad Luck Is All I Have (Atlantic, 1975)

:tupExcellent:tup .... just the title track is awesome .....