wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,028 posts in this topic

hampton hawes is excellent on rhodes- blues for walls and northern windows.  this is not "throwaway fusion"- these are very thoughtful albums and hawes has a good rhodes sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

hampton hawes is excellent on rhodes- blues for walls and northern windows.  this is not "throwaway fusion"- these are very thoughtful albums and hawes has a good rhodes sound

Agreed ! 

I love Hampton Hawes on the Gene Ammons Montreux 1973 Album, very fine rhodes Sound. He really could hold his own on Fender Rhodes and is underrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thumbs up for Blues for Walls from me too. I like it almost as much as Red Clay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herbie Hancock "The Prisoner", Blue Note white label promo with Van Gelder stamp (apparently for the UK market).

Prisoner.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Herbie Hancock "The Prisoner", Blue Note white label promo with Van Gelder stamp (apparently for the UK market).

Prisoner.jpeg.jpg

Interesting - I have that UK issue in a blue/white Liberty. A short-lived phenomenon.

Didn’t realise they were on Mortimer St.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting - I have that UK issue in a blue/white Liberty. A short-lived phenomenon.

I am curious to know what sets it apart from a US release. My copy is in US printed sleeve, so only the sticker reveals it as a UK release. Were these pressed in UK (though the VAN GELDER stamp maybe suggests they were not)? 

Edited by Daniel A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

From my recollection the sleeve is US but the vinyl indicates made in the UK on the label. A bit like the German Liberty LPs of the vintage. I’ll have to check but I think it is ‘Van Gelder’ in the runout.

These UK issues were definitely very short lived. In 1970 the economy was still doing OK. The industrial unrest and power cuts of 1972 onwards would have decimated budgets allocated to UK Blue Note shenanigans. Major own-goal. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting, thanks for the trivia! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Huckle-buck & Robbins' Nest - A Buck Clayton Jam Session (Columbia CL-548). I do like these jam sessions a lot. This music has slowly become one of my favorite Mosaic box sets. As great as these LP cuts are, hearing the unedited tunes with the full alternate takes on the Mosaic set is even better.

Buck Clayton - Huckle-buck and Robbins' Nest - Amazon.com Music

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a Buck Clayton kick... Buck Clayton with Buddy Tate - Buck & Buddy Blow The Blues (Stereo Swingville SV 2030). This is an unusual LP for the times as it has a regular purple Prestige/Swingville label but a textured cover, which I've not seen on an older Prestige release. As for the music, I do dig those blues, so what's not to like here?

Buck & Buddy Blow the Blues - Wikipedia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clifford Brown's Study In Brown, Nippon Phonogram pressing from 1971.

This was one of the first jazz albums I heard at home when growing up, so I know it well and there is obviously some nostalgia involved. However, I haven't listened to it for some years, and I am probably hearing some things today that were beyond me in the past. 

The interplay in the band is just superb, and to me, Harold Land is the ideal partner for Brownie. Great tunes, too; the perfect hard bop album. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38690657wd.jpg

Jack De Johnette: The De Johnette Complex. CBS Milestone 64076 [1970]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In memoriam Lennie Niehaus

38685183be.jpg

 

38685178vs.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-9837643-1495037295-3513.jpeg.jpg

Complete Commodore Recordings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bresna said:

The Huckle-buck & Robbins' Nest - A Buck Clayton Jam Session (Columbia CL-548). I do like these jam sessions a lot. This music has slowly become one of my favorite Mosaic box sets. As great as these LP cuts are, hearing the unedited tunes with the full alternate takes on the Mosaic set is even better.

Buck Clayton - Huckle-buck and Robbins' Nest - Amazon.com Music

That Clayton Mosaic is a corker - love the way it captures the 30th St studio ambience. My CD version was obtained from the ‘Horse’s Mouth’ i.e. M. Cuscuna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Quinchette, Like Who (United Artists)

Bobby Hutcherson, Natural Illusions (Blue Note)Image result for Paul Quinchette lie whoImage result for bobby hutcherson natural illusions

On 6/2/2020 at 11:54 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

hampton hawes is excellent on rhodes- blues for walls and northern windows.  this is not "throwaway fusion"- these are very thoughtful albums and hawes has a good rhodes sound

I rather like the solo album, Universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Paul Quinchette, Like Who (United Artists)

Bobby Hutcherson, Natural Illusions (Blue Note)Image result for Paul Quinchette lie whoImage result for bobby hutcherson natural illusions

I rather like the solo album, Universe.

i need it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

this, the pointer sisters 2nd to last album, and last lp, is grade AAA fantastic.  Every track is a keeper, i feel no need to skip one second.  SQ= 9, maybe 9.5/10, it sounds good, tracks are great.  on MOTOWN (1990)

Picture 1 of 6

ok maybe last track could be slightly better but its still great production, up until the last track i was 100% into it

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

this, the pointer sisters 2nd to last album, and last lp, is grade AAA fantastic.  Every track is a keeper, i feel no need to skip one second.  SQ= 9, maybe 9.5/10, it sounds good, tracks are great.  on MOTOWN (1990)

Picture 1 of 6

ok maybe last track could be slightly better but its still great production, up until the last track i was 100% into it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

i need it

Yes, indeed you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

My copy is mono.

The_Big_Sound_(Johnny_Hodges_album).jpg

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

oh wow thanks my guy i didnt cross check it w/ youtube that looks great- will watch-

 

just bought this- its mostly real good, but too "airy"- hopefully the mono will sound focused and direct

 

s-l1600.jpg

and i supposedly have a 10 dollar copy of prestige yellow fireworks label 1st cover ed. Gene Ammons Funky on the way

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

38698451vo.jpg

38698452yi.jpg

:tup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.