Euro 2004

Wasn't able to watch the second half, so what happened?? 2 - 0 up, result 2 - 3?? What went wrong?

Came to 2-2, no problem yet, but then there was a red card through a typical schwalbe. Fuck Nedved. Absolutely uncalled for as the whole game was very fair.

The dutch were better throughout. I think, for whatever that's worth.

May the Czechs level the Germans and the Dutch LEVEL the Latvians BIG time, then justicy will be.

And may Nedved BURN

From a unbiased opinion a draw would have been a fair result to one of the best games I've ever seen .

Nobody metioning that Nedved was fouled threwout the first half & Van Nistleroy's offside goal??

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the rules Van Nistelrooij was not offside when the ball was passed to him, and that's what counts. BBC's Gary Lineker was absolutely right about this.

You're absoloutely right! But it is a bollox rule. How are the defending players supposed to know who's passive or not ? & as hes has shown in the Premiership Van Nitsleroy is a master of exploiting this rule. But you are right he was within the rules.

Did anyone think the Czechs deserved a penalty in the second half ? Or did that even up the Dutch claims in the first half??

I thought the second Czech goal was fantastic - easily the goal of the tournament.

If they can continue to play as they did in the second half tonight they could/should go on to win the competition outright . Nedved is such a quality player.

Can the Dutch really go out behind such a poor German side?

Edited by Gary

Brownie,

Why did the Czechs deserve to win in your opinion?

They were the underdogs. Were led 0-2. Did not give up. Went on and on and faced strong opposition.

I feel sorry for the Dutch but the Czechs got my vote.

I'll try to be impartial next time France plays B)

Portugal just beat Spain 1-0, many chances on both sides. Great game.

Russia beat Greece 2-1.

Greece equal to Spain in points but ahead on goals.

Portugal and Greece to the quarterfinals.

Great game indeed, but not as great as yesterday's game (:()

Another unsuccessful tournament for Spain.

Spain got what they deserved for playing like that. With so many star players they should've easily overtaken a weaker Portugal. Why did they put in Morientes only in the last 10 minutes? Is he injured?

Odds are Portugal won't progress out of the next round; they don't have an essential necessity, a reliable dispatcher, like Zidane, Nedved or Beckham. Figo is just not what he used to be. With the sloppy passing they have no chance in the quarter finals, no matter how good their defence is.

Nevertheless, they persevered against a stronger Spanish side, so good for them! :tup

Why did they put in Morientes only in the last 10 minutes? Is he injured?

I couldnt understand that one either . Morientes is one of the best players in the tournament.

I dont think the eventual winners will come from tonights group.

Odds are Portugal won't progress out of the next round; they don't have an essential necessity, a reliable dispatcher, like Zidane, Nedved or Beckham. Figo is just not what he used to be. With the sloppy passing they have no chance in the quarter finals, no matter how good their defence is.

Nevertheless, they persevered against a stronger Spanish side, so good for them! :tup

But they have the greatest young talent in European soccer with Ronaldo.

Still, the many misses were painful. They certainly had sympathy on their side for being the host country. For the reputation and players they have, the Spaniards played not good enough. The same should happen to the Germans so they wake up.

I knew we were in trouble tonight when I saw the referee (my apologies, Swingin Swede). That fool nearly cost us a quarterfinal victory against Ireland two years ago. Spain didn't deserve to win because they played not to lose. When you play like that, you will lose. You need to grab the proverbial bulls by the horn. The Portuguese basically took it to them and except for a few occasions I didn't see much. The one goal that Morientes scored in the tournament was nice, although a mistake by the defense. Other than that Raul and Morientes didn't show that much.

Following the heels of the disaster in 98, the robbery in 2002, this is just extremely disappointing. I can hardly wait for 2006 :angry:

Englands turn next to see if they can gain 1 point .

I'm not 100% confident , we need a couple of our senior players to start to play as they can (mostly Beckham & Owen).

I think tonight's match looks tougher than any of our potential opponents in the quarter finals if we get there.

CMMMOOONNN ENGLAND!!!

These are the qualification rules:

If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria shall be applied to determine the ranking:

1. Number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question;

2. Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question;

3. Number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

Yes, and what this means is that if Sweden and Denmark play 2-2 (or 3-3 etc.), then Italy is out no matter how many goals they score against Bulgaria. There has reportedly been a lot of talk in Italy during the last couple of days about there being a Scandinavian conspiracy (meaning that they will play 2-2). Some have even seen more Scandinavian conspiracy in that a Danish camera followed Totti during the first match and thus caught the spitting so that he couldn't play against Sweden! :rolleyes:

I think both Sweden and Denmark will go out with the mindset to try to win the match. We have seen several times before in this tournament how a defensive mindset is punished. But of course, if it happens to be 2-2 with five minutes to go, then maybe we won't see too serious attacking attempts...

Englands turn next to see if they can gain 1 point .

I'm not 100% confident , we need a couple of our senior players to start to play as they can (mostly Beckham & Owen).

I think tonight's match looks tougher than any of our potential opponents in the quarter finals if we get there.

CMMMOOONNN ENGLAND!!!

Following up on the Spanish debacle, England should not play for the one point, as Spain did, but play as if they needed the 3 points. Anything less than a full out performance will not them a loss. It's amazing to me how coaches in both football and american football will get cautious. In american football when the coaches go into a defensive mode they play what's called a prevent defense and the saying is that the only thing a prevent defense prevents is victory.

Why are these matches played at the same time?

This is strange at times where TV coverage means everything. German TV is showing the two matches on their two main channels, but most people will only watch one of them, which means less advertisement revenues.

Why are these matches played at the same time?

Because these are the decisive group games. If they were played at different times, the teams playing at the later time would have the advantage of knowing the result of the earlier game and would be able to adjust their tactics accordingly, which wouldn't be fair.

Edited by J.A.W.