Lee Morgan - Live at the Lighthouse

Peter Johnson

I know folks here have mixed opinions about the Fresh Sound label, and I know the subject topic has been discussed before, either here or at the BNBB, but I searched for it and couldn't find it.

Does anyone have the F.S. version of this date? I'm curious whether it contains any material not on the BN 3-CD set. IIRC, people thought (or knew?) there was *some* duplication between the two sets, but looking at the track listings here (scroll down and click on the title) and comparing them to my BN box set, there are clearly differences.

I'd love to get this set, but it appears to be unavailable (it's said "temporarily out of stock" for over a year). Does anyone have a source or, better yet, an extra (yeah, right!)? ;)

Thanks in advance for the info!

Edited by Peter Johnson

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternate take to what Chuck posted above: it now looks like it is from the Lighthouse (the first days of the week-long engagement). The sound is iffy, but the performances are very good, and the material is quite different.

Word on the street is it will be reissued.

Bertrand.

Just to clarify, which situation applies here:

1. doubleM has the official Blue Note box, and is looking for additional material;

or

2. doubleM has neither box, and is looking for the better deal (pricewise) of the two.

Because if #1 applies, I believe the record store down the highway from me has a sealed copy. I think! I’ll go there at lunchtime (at great personal sacrifice, of course :) ) just to be sure!

I have both the BN and the FreshSound. Plus a few lps that contain this material, like the BN 2lp set w/ Lee on the front sitting under a bridge holding a flugel. Also, one called "See Autumn", which I think was someone misunderstanding the title of one of the tunes, "Ceora". So, I'm covered! Big Al, I think you probably meant Peter J. ?

Since this great working band has been officially documented once, then yes I'd want more. It's a great and perhaps very important era in Lee's career so to me it's not a choice of 5,000 or 5,001 but 1 or 2 and I prefer two. The sound is OK, the performances are great, the material is different than the Blue Note material and it is perhaps also from the Lighthouse

Exactly. To me, it also isn't a matter of 5000 or any of that #'s b.s.. I was just commenting on Chuck's post. I enjoy the tracks like Ceora, Willow Weep for Me, that are on the FS set. Let's face it, aren't there more Lee completists in this house than just about any other trumpet player, except maybe Miles?

Is there any reason to disbelieve Bob Belden's account, in the BN "Live at the Lighthouse" booklet, of where the Fresh Sounds material came from? Belden, who's reliable on such matters to my knowledge, says (per Bennie Maupin) that the Fresh Sounds material came from a San Francisco gig at the Both/And (broadcast over the radio), two weeks prior to the Lighthouse gig. Thus, the FS performances are airchecks and do not duplicate the Lighthouse performances. Haven't heard the FS discs, but the sound on the Lighthouse performances has always seemed plenty beastly to me (clotted, distorted, you name it). Who was the idiot, one Dino Lappas, who recorded them -- or was Lappas working under weird restrictions? (Belden speaks of the source tape problems, more gently than he should have IMO.) I did hear the band live in Chicago, and somewhere in my brain there's preserved a decent sense of how they really sounded.

Hey, Double M -- "Bob Belden has lied to me on many occasions about these recordings" made me laugh out loud. What I remember most about the band's Chicago gig was how crisp Mickey Roker sounded and how unexpected his rather tight (almost Swing era) time feel was in the context of that band playing that music. (By "tight" I mean nothing negative BTW--just a different approach than I was used to from, say, Billy Higgins.) Another thing I recall is that I came up to Lee between sets and asked him if he knew what had happened to Tina Brooks -- who was still alive but long gone from the scene. Don't recall exactly what Lee said, but my recollection was that while he was verbally noncommital, his facial expression (maybe a wince, then pursed lips) was a three-act play.

Of course I don't have a fraction of Bertrand's - or even Bob Belden's ;) - knowledge on this subject, but I always thought the ropy piano on the Fresh Sound sounds curiously alike the piano on the BN set. And for the record: musically, I prefer the Fresh Sound. :)

• 1 year later...

Is this LP set on CD now?

Lee Morgan

Live Sessions 

Trip Jazz

TLX-5041

willow weep for me

peyote

speedball

ujamma

ceora

2 record set recorded live at performances in the summer of 1970, in Los Angeles.

r0063a.jpg

I don't know of that being on CD, would get it if it was. If I remember (I had the vinyl in a previous lifetime), that set was recorded after Billy Harper had replaced Benny Maupin in the group. Both were excellent foils for Lee. Harper is a monster, to me the most underrated musician in jazz.

• 1 year later...

chewy chew chew, just so you know, LOVES benny maupin. benny maupin, is like what joe henderson would of been like, if like, joe henderson was maybe ten years younger. benny maupin is good and funk but excells the greatest at hard bop. i have seen him do this in person and on record, and just today for the 1st time on youtube, video. whats that horace lp w/ him again? i dont have tghat one