Larry Young Mosaic.

Hardbopjazz

A Larry Young Mosaic set shows up on Ebay two or three times a month. The usual end price is around $250, but it has also gone up to $350.

The lowest price I've seen was $150, it was a "US only" auction and the seller didn't accept Paypal.

Edited by Claude

You know, I haven't really done any direct comparisons but that version of "People" off of the Talkin' 'Bout session just totally gives me goosebumps on the Mosaic set. This does not happen for me on the 24bit McMaster. Actually, I gifted it to someone... B)

Great set, sure wish I had a box and booklet... :w^_^

Currently available albums from the Mosaic set:

RVG:

- Unity

Connoisseur:

- Into Somethin'

- Mother Ship

- Of love and peace <--scheduled

regular Blue Note:

- Talkin' about (Grant Green)

- I Want To Hold Your Hand (Grant Green)

- Street of dreams (Grant Green)

So, only two albums are missing:

- Heaven on earth

- Contrasts

Edited by Claude

I think the Young Mosaic is one of their better efforts. Most Mosaics pretty much color inside the lines when it comes to stylistic coherence, but the Young box runs the gamut from inside to outside and all points inbetween. I think it provides an almost unprecedented opportunity to view the development of an artist and his music. Indespensible IMO.

Speaking of Larry Young, I picked up an interesting Jimi Hendrix recording the other day. It's a 2 CD British release consisting of studio outtakes from 1966-1970. Three of the tunes, one of which runs over 10 minutes and is called "Larry Young Jam", feature our man on the Hammond. I think these are from a rare session called "Nine for the Universe" or something like that. Interesting stuff and very good sound. They claim it's 48 bit remastered. Can't say I've heard of that before.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

The Larry Young is among my very favorite Mosaic sets.

This is one of the few sets that I make an effort to listen to from one end to the other. I love the way the intensity and creativity build throughout the set and how the music evolves and takes shape with each succeeding album. I'm a big fan of the second half of this set which I know has not drawn rave reviews. Dare I say it's my favorite Mosaic??? There are many many great ones and sometimes favorites change based on mood etc, but if someone had a gun to my head....... :w

The Larry Young is among my very favorite Mosaic sets. 

This is one of the few sets that I make an effort to listen to from one end to the other.  I love the way the intensity and creativity build throughout the set and how the music evolves and takes shape with each succeeding album.  I'm a big fan of the second half of this set which I know has not drawn rave reviews.  Dare I say it's my favorite Mosaic???  There are many many great ones and sometimes favorites change based on mood etc, but if someone had a gun to my head.......  :w

So true. Larry Young's music goes through a big chance from Talkin' about and Into Somthin' to Mother Ship. Such underrated artists.

The sides he did with Tony Williams are so different then most of his BN stuff. The fact that he would play with musicians like Jimmy Hendrix shows how devise he was.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Speaking of Larry Young, I picked up an interesting Jimi Hendrix recording the other day. It's a 2 CD British release consisting of studio outtakes from 1966-1970. Three of the tunes, one of which runs over 10 minutes and is called "Larry Young Jam", feature our man on the Hammond. I think these are from a rare session called "Nine for the Universe" or something like that. Interesting stuff and very good sound. They claim it's 48 bit remastered. Can't say I've heard of that before.

Is this still available? What's the CD title, and what are the three tracks Young is one, and the personnel? Thanks!