What live music are you going to see tonight?

mikeweil

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tyshawn Sorey Sextet @ Jazz Gallery @ 7:30

one long set - expected to be a continuous 2 hour set - maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes. I’m looking forward to hearing these younger unknown to me musicians perform tonight. Alto & tenor saxophonists, pianist, vibraphonist & bassist.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Pianist Tom Snow is bringing local legend Ralph Norris to Jocko's in Methuen tonight. Ralph, even at the age of 84, swings like hell and he's been doing it for a long time. I'm assuming that they're going to play music from their last recording together, "Duke's Diamonds - An Ellington Celebration" (https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/thomassnowtrio) 

Sorry to say Dave Liebman - Richie Beirach have chancelled their scheduled concert here in Vienna , it would have been the coming Sunday and me and my wife had tickets. Due to the corona virus Mr. Liebman decided not to take the trip to Europe. I really can understand that. But it´s sad news we were looking forward to that concert, since Mr. Liebman was one of my first idols......

33 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Sorry to say Dave Liebman - Richie Beirach have chancelled their scheduled concert here in Vienna , it would have been the coming Sunday and me and my wife had tickets. Due to the corona virus Mr. Liebman decided not to take the trip to Europe. I really can understand that. But it´s sad news we were looking forward to that concert, since Mr. Liebman was one of my first idols......

Oh that's a bummer!  Sorry to hear that, Gheorghe.

Hopefully, they will re-schedule in the near future.

Tuesday night, at the House of Blues in Dallas, Kamasi Washington. In a concert "every note" of which was dedicated to McCoy Tyner (including a performance of Passion Dance), Kamasi's group featured his father on soprano and flute (he is very good), plus trombone (also quite a fine player), voice, keyboards, bass (doubling on acoustic and bass guitar), and two drummers. At the HOB, there is a standing room only area on the floor, which was packed, and a seated balcony (half or less full). The youngish crowd was very enthusiastic for a nearly two hour long concert featuring extended solo work from every player. Kamasi's solos were mostly in updated Pharoah Sanders land (a land that I'm happy to revisit). I quite enjoyed the concert; it was better than what I've heard on record.

I have tickets for Parlour Game with Jenny Scheinman violin, Allison Miller drums, Carmen Staaf piano and Tony Scherr bass on Sunday at SFJAZZ. Sadly, that show and several others (incl the 2020 NEA Jazz Masters & Tribute Concert) over the next few weeks have been canceled. :(

According to what I see online this morning, all of the major NYC jazz clubs are still planning to be open (although the Vanguard has cut back to one set on weeknights).  Given what's going on here I can't imagine that that is going to last.

Was supposed to go out tonight to catch Kirk Lightsey at Mezzrow.  Although I would like to help them in what I am sure is their hour of need, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it.  Might be the last show I'm able to see for a while though...

2 hours ago, Al in NYC said:

According to what I see online this morning, all of the major NYC jazz clubs are still planning to be open (although the Vanguard has cut back to one set on weeknights).  Given what's going on here I can't imagine that that is going to last.

Was supposed to go out tonight to catch Kirk Lightsey at Mezzrow.  Although I would like to help them in what I am sure is their hour of need, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it.  Might be the last show I'm able to see for a while though...

Hope it goes ahead - I want to catch Kirk via the streaming tonight (or rather tomorrow morning).

None. Was supposed to see Jaimie Branch tonight in Cleveland (cancelled), Ethan Iverson and Tom Harrell in Buffalo on Sunday (cancelled), and Ken Vandermark, Nate Wooley, and Paul Lytton on return to Pittsburgh on Monday (also cancelled).

Notice a trend?

Thankful for music I have been able to see this month (Patrick Breiner and Charles Tolliver before that) but looks like no more live music until late spring.

Possibly...

LWayne

Edited by LWayne

What was going to be a great month has been wiped out.  The Roy Haynes and Norman Simmons gigs that I had planned on attending in New York have been canceled.  Before making plans to visit New York, I had a ticket for a Charles Lloyd/Gerald Clayton and Alfredo Rodriguez/Pedrito Martinez double bill that has now been canceled.  Although it was going to be hard for me to attend, Brotzmann's solo stop in Buffalo has been canceled.

Locally, gigs by Vandermark/Lytton/Wooley, Jaimie Branch, Joe Daley/Scott Robinson/Warren Smith and Simone Baron have been canceled. 

John Clayton was scheduled to appear at 4 area venues with a local symphony orchestra to perform a commissioned work.  I caught the world premiere on Wednesday and the other 3 performances were canceled.  It is a shame because Clayton's writing and soloing were at a high level.

Here's hoping for a better and healthy April.

Edited by Justin V

Tonight in Northampton, MA I caught Steve Swell's Kende Dreams with Rob Brown (as), William Parker (b) and William TA Thompson (d). This may be my last live music experience for a while since it seems like most shows in my area after this weekend are being canceled. At least it was a good one that will hopefully hold me over for a while.

Edited by relyles

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Nubya Garcia at the Barbican, music made me forget I had a face mask on. First live concert since Grant Stewart in February. What a delight.

Yazz Ahmed at Kings Place next month if London avoids more restrictions.

Anthony

London

I would love to see Yazz Ahmed.