Andrew Hill - Passing Ships

Grant Green - First Session

Wayne Shorter - etcetera

other:

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond

Bireli Lagrene - Inferno

Dave Douglas - Tiny Bell Trio Live in Europe

Dave Holland Quintet - Not for Nothin'

I wish I could find used deals like that down here!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was the first day of sales in Paris stores. Somebody mentioned a visit to the Virgin store on the Champs-Elysees avenue might be worth it. Not my favorite place to buy jazz albums but I was there when the store opened.

Boy, it was really worth it and I must say I overspent. But Virgin really meant sales this time.

Here is what I got:

- Sun Ra ' Holiday for Soul Dance, the recent Saturn reissue LP,

- Jacques Coursil 'Way Ahead', the Actuel reissue LP,

- Alan Silva 'Skillfullness', the ESP reissue LP.

All the LPs were priced at 2.90 euros (3 bucks) and they all disappeared in minutes. One guy was showing off his hauls of other Actuel reissues plus Hank Mobley's '2nd Message' and Larry Young 'Groove Street' LP reissues! All sealed.

They also had lots of Japanese CDs on sale. Got the following (all at 9 euros instead of the regular 39 euros prices):

- Charlie Mariano 'Portrait of France',

- Cedar Walton Trio 'At Good Day Club',

- Roland Hanna/George Mraz 'Romanesque',

- Roland Hanna Plays Alec Wilder (they had half a dozen different Hanna albums),

- John Young 'Young John Young'

and some non-Japanese discs at 6 euros each:

- George Shearing/Cannonball Adderley at Newport,

- Steve Lacy/Evan Parker 'Chirps',

- Steve Lacy 'Packet',

- Evan Parker 'The Two Seasons' (the 2CD Emanem issue at 6 euros!)

- Tiny Grimes/Jerome Richardson 'Tiny in Swingsville',

- BB King 'The Modern Recordings 1950-51' (the double CD from Ace).

Now I'll need time to listen to all that stuff and to fill the hole in my pocketbook but who's complaining? :w

Brownie,

I now that this is the official 'state-sanctioned' sales period and I was planning on checking out the record stores, although the dollar is at a historic low. I didn't think the prices would be that low, though.

When do the sales end? I am flying out on 1/17 and will leave Paris on 1/27.

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Bertrand, the sales last for about one month but as far as jazz records are concerned this will be over in a couple of days at Virgin. The FNAC stores should have some sales within the next few days but I don't expect they will have any real goodies on sales. Just several albums. FNAC had several jazz CDs on sale at 8.99 euros but nothing exceptional.

Not to worry, I'll give you several adresses of stores which have interesting items on sale all year round (but not Japanese CDs at today's Virgin prices).

Dan, this was a real sales. Much better than on previous years. Virgin probably got rid of an overstock of Japanese CDs which must have been gathering dust in their backrooms after most customers kept away from paying the 'regular' prices.

Dan, that's just part of the tradition of sales. They don't really sell more than a few hundreds of CDs that way. You've probably seen those footage of Londoners crowding the sales at Harrod's to get loads of precious china for peanuts. They do that at every sales.

Keep the customers happy. No problem with that.

I'm happy :P

• 2 weeks later...

mosaic-complete nat king cole on capitol box set of 18 discs-discs were new-shrink wrapped- with booklet and box. box was not wrapped-has some crinkled corners -$60.00 plus tax.

barry harris plays barry harris-used cd-EPM reissue of xanadu date-$1.00 plus tax

george benson-one of blue moon's subsidaries' reissue of the cafe caribe concert in plainfield new jersey-apparently includes all of the material-about 130 minutes worth-2 cds new-$10 plus tax

mosaic-complete nat king cole on capitol box set of 18 discs-discs were new-shrink wrapped- with booklet and box. box was not wrapped-has some crinkled corners -$60.00 plus tax.

Wow! And I thought I did well getting this one for $95 recently (I even hemmed & hawed about it at that price, until enough kind souls here helped me see the light). Congrats!

billie holiday remastered columbia material on a cbs 10 cd box set-sealed $50.00 plus tax.

chrome-where did you go into the borders outlet store? around cleveland or michigan or someplace else? the last time i was at the 4 borders outlet store that ring cleveland last fall I thought that their musical stock has gone down dramatically in quality.

anybody interested in the smithsonian 5 cd box set on jazz singers? can get them for around $30.00

Spent my february jazz budget today, got the following (around 200$ all together):

Willie "The Lion" Smith - Music on My Mind (Jazz in Paris)

George Russell - The African Game (Blue Note)

Brad Shepik Trio - Drip (Knitting Factory) (used)

John McLaughlin - tokyo live (Verve/Universal) (used)

Chick Corea - The Song of Singing (Blue Note)

Junior Cook - Somethin's Cookin' (Muse)

Ramon Valle plays the Music of Ernesto Lecuona "Danza Negra" (ACT)

Steve Reich - Drumming (Steve Reich and Musicians) (Elektra/Nonesuch) (used)

René Thomas - Blue Note, Paris 1964 (Royal Jazz)

Lenox School of Jazz Concert 1959 (feat. Ornette, Cherry, Dorham, Pomeroy) (Royal Jazz)

Burkhard Beins, Martin Pfleiderer & Peter Niklas Wilson, Yarbles (hatOLOGY)

Ran Blake, Horace is Blue: A Silver Noir (hatOLOGY)

Anthony Braxton, Quartet (Dortmund) 1976 (hatOLOGY)

Richard Grossman, Even Your Eears (hatOLOGY)

Richard Grossman, Where The Sky Ended (hatOLOGY)

Steve Lacy, Clinkers (hatOLOGY)

Jon Lloyd, Four And Five (hatOLOGY)

Joe McPhee, Tenor & Fallen Angels (hatOLOGY)

Anthony Ortega, Scattered Clouds (hatOLOGY)

Wallin & Johannson, Proklamation I / Wallin, Janson & Wennerström, Farewell to Sweden (hatOLOGY) (2CD)

some pretty cool stuff!

I passed on the other Russell Blue Note, listened to it, but didn't like it.

ubu

Spent my february jazz budget today

Yuo're always early? I guess so ...

Guess that's one of my worst vices - no, serious: I went into that one shop were I bought almost all the things listed - they had a hat sale, 13.5 CHF per disc, which is some 8-9 euros, and a third of the usual prize! I had to jump on that. Then they had those real strange sales bins (where I found the Corea, the Russell, the Thomas, and the Cook), one of the strangest sales I ever saw. Lots of old Muse CDs, some rather rare BN discs (as the ones I picked up - it's been ages since I saw the Corea/Holland/Altschul the last time), original Contemporary CD (which have since come out in the OJC series) and lots of real strange stuff...

Listening to the trio bonus disc of the Wallin hat right now. Strong stuff! The opening tune, "Farewell to Sweden" (composed by Freddie Redd) is great! Then there's covers of Monk's "Work", Poweell's "Time Waits", and Sonny Clark's "Voodoo". Fascinating stuff!

ubu

Not jazz, but I picked up the Grateful Dead box set "The Golden Road 1965-1973)" a couple of days ago, for only $50. This 12 disc box set includes all of their Warners era titles, remastered in '01, each filled with bonus tracks. Also included the previously unavailable 2 disc set "The Birth of the Dead", though I believe that is now available separately.

Not a bad deal at all, especially considering I didn't have most of this before (only previously owned Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, like most other more "casual" fans). I'm working through the studio material first, followed by the live stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I did pretty good last night:

Found the Basie Live (8 CDs) and Thad Jones/Mel Lewis (5 CDs) sets for $40 each! These are lacking box and booklet, but otherwise complete and two of the jewel cases are still sealed. It's an especially great deal for the Basie as I previously bought the box, booklet, and half the set from Mosaic before they sold out completely...

:g

I just picked up a vinyl copy of this little gem:

flute1_gr.jpeg

recorded: March 10, 1965 live in Dresden

issued: 1965 (or 67 ?) AMIGA 855056 (Ex-East-Germany)

LEO WRIGHT (fl, as); "DR. BLUES" CANDY GREEN (p, voc, hca); ANDRÉ CONDOUANT (g); WOLFGANG KRAESSE (b ); HARTWIG BARTZ (dr)

Side A

1. Encore (Loose Walk or Stitt´s Tune)

2. It Might As Well Be Spring

3. Down Home Kansas City Blues

4. Kidney Stew

Side B

1. Every Day I Have The Blues

2. Blues March

3. Grooving High

AFAIK it has never been released outside the GDR.

now the hunt continues for part 1 of the same concert...

studio1.jpeg

I'm playing it right now (and recording it to harddisk). The thing is MINT. There is some (very) slight ringwear on the cover. Labels are like new. I am sure this one has never been played before. Sound is okay, considering this is a live recording from the GDR mind you. Vinyl itself is silent.

homer40.gif

WOO HOO!

on the 3rd track, Dr Blues starts playing claviola, you know that thing that looks like a cross between a small piano and a harmonica with a hose on it. This is good stuff!!! :tup

(when's my next turn for BFT?) :g

Edited by couw