Favorite recent vinyl purchases??

wolff

I've been going crazy with vinyl since getting my new table - some favorites over the past 3-4 months:

Sealed copy of Neil Young's COMES A TIME (Reprise) for $7.99!

Sealed copy of XTC SKYLARKING (Geffen - this is the first pressing with "Mermaid Smiled" instead of "Dear God") for $12.99!

Kenny Burrell - FREEDOM (Toshiba Japan)

Beatles - MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (Capitol - original mono pressing)

Beach Boys - PET SOUNDS (DCC 180 gram vinyl - another sealed copy, $60 which is an amazing price for a sealed DCC record)

Clash - LONDON CALLING (CBS UK original pressing)

4 of Bobby Hutcherson's Milestone LPs, $12.00 for the lot: COLOR SCHEMES, AMBOS MUNDOS, IN THE VANGUARD, and CRUISIN' THE BIRD

Ike Quebec 45 Sessions and Johnny Hodges 51-56 Mosaic LP sets

Edited by DrJ

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad the TT is working out!

If you want to support vinyl that's in print, try a couple of these that I recommend:

Art Blakey w Monk (4 Men)

Solomon Burke: Don’t Give Up On Me (DBK)

Sonny Clark: Sonny’s Crib BN 1576 (Classic 200G mono)

Al Cohn: Cohn On The Saxophone (Sundazed LP)

Nat King Cole: Just One Of Those Things (S&P /Hoffman)

Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban: Mambo Sinuendo

Duke Ellington: Piano In The Foreground (Classic)

Joe Farnsworth: It’s Prime Time (Eighty Eight’s)

Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man….(4 Men)

The Great Jazz Trio: Autumn Leaves (Eighty-Eight's LP)

Johnny Griffin: The Congregation BN 1580 (Classic 200G mono)

Roy Haynes: Love Letters (Eighty Eight’s)

Eddie Henderson: So What (Eighty Eight’s)

Jack Johnson: In Between Dreams

Jack Johnson: Brushfire Fairytales

Peggy Lee: Latin Ala Lee (S&P/Hoffman)

Hank Mobley: Hank BN 1560 (Classic 200G mono)

Hank Mobley: Soul Station BN 4031 (Classic 200G mono)

Lee Morgan: Candy BN 1590 (Classic 200G mono)

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Roy Orbison: Greatest Hits (S&P/Hoffman)

Art Pepper: The Intimate (Analogue Productions/Gray)

Pink Floyd: Dark Side (30 year anniversary)

Lonnie Plaxico Group: Live at the Jazz Standard (Eighty Eight’s)

Sonny Red: Out Of the Blue BN 4032 (Classic 200G mono)

Dizzy Reece: Star Bright BN 4023 (Classic 200G mono)

Sonny Sharock: Black Woman (4 Men)

Sinatra and Jobim (Rhino/Kevin Gray)

Sinatra: September Of My Years (Rhino/Gray)

Bruce Springsteen: Devils and Dust

Joss Stone: Soul Sessions(UK Import)

Jesse Sykes: Reckless Burning

Linda Thompson: Fashionably Late

Muddy Waters: Folksinger (Classic)

Lucinda Williams: World Without Tears

Lester Young:: The President Plays With

The Oscar Pederson Trio (Speaker’s Corner)

Rolling Stones - Flowers (London)

Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet (London, gatefold)

Beatles - Revolver (1st Apple pressing)*

Stanley Turrentine - Let it Go (Impulse)

Africa: Drum, Chant, & Instrumental Music (Nonesuch Explorer)

My first Beatles purchase in something like 15 years...

Edited by Brandon Burke

Hadn't purchased 45ers in a long time but could not resist these latest finds. Four EPs as they were called:

- Quentin Jackson (Ducretet Thompson)

- Art Simmons (Ducretet Thompson)

both from the Ducretet Thompson 'Jazz From Paris'. The Quentin Jackson seems to be the only date recorded under his name by the great trombonist. A late 1959 session with Clark Terry, Art Simmons, Elec Bacsik, Michel Gaudryand Kenny Clarke. Jackson sings on two of the four tracks.

The Art Simmons date has the same personnel but Eric Dixon replaces Quentin Jackson on that one.. With Billie Poole singing on one track.

Neither albums seems to have been reissued.

Same goes for this one:

- Guy Lafitte Jazz Sextet (Columbia France) with Raymond Fol on piano, Bibi Rovere on bass and Franco Manzecchi on drums. Arrangements by Fol and Martial Solal,

plus this one:

- Lucky Thompson in Paris (Symphonium) with Gerard 'Dave' Pochonet et son Orchestre (including Martial Solal). This one was reissued on the HighNote album 'Lucky Thompson in Paris'.

Got all these on an exchange deal!

Yoshi Wada - Off the Wall (SAJ) quartet for two bagpipe players, electric organ and tympani, a more primitivist 'In C' if you will. Except that it's probably not in C.

Jiri Stivin and Rudolf Dasek - System Tandem (Japo) great set of reeds-guitar duets from two storied Czech improvisers.

Richard Landry - Fifteen Saxophones (Wergo) - the sidelong tenor-with-echo solo is well worth investigating.

Glad the TT is working out!

If you want to support vinyl that's in print, try a couple of these that I recommend:

Art Blakey w Monk (4 Men)

Solomon Burke:  Don’t Give Up On Me (DBK)

Sonny Clark:  Sonny’s Crib BN 1576 (Classic 200G mono)

Al Cohn: Cohn On The Saxophone (Sundazed LP)

Nat King Cole:  Just One Of Those Things (S&P /Hoffman)

Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban: Mambo Sinuendo

Duke Ellington:  Piano In The Foreground (Classic)

Joe Farnsworth:  It’s Prime Time (Eighty Eight’s)

Aretha Franklin:  I Never Loved A Man….(4 Men)

The Great Jazz Trio: Autumn Leaves (Eighty-Eight's LP)

Johnny Griffin:  The Congregation BN 1580 (Classic 200G mono)

Roy Haynes:  Love Letters (Eighty Eight’s)

Eddie Henderson:  So What (Eighty Eight’s)

Jack Johnson:  In Between Dreams

Jack Johnson:  Brushfire Fairytales

Peggy Lee:  Latin Ala Lee (S&P/Hoffman)

Hank Mobley:  Hank BN 1560 (Classic 200G mono)

Hank Mobley:  Soul Station BN 4031 (Classic 200G mono)

Lee Morgan:  Candy BN 1590 (Classic 200G mono)

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Roy Orbison:  Greatest Hits (S&P/Hoffman)

Art Pepper:  The Intimate (Analogue Productions/Gray)

Pink Floyd:  Dark Side (30 year anniversary)

Lonnie Plaxico Group: Live at the Jazz Standard (Eighty Eight’s)

Sonny Red:  Out Of the Blue BN 4032 (Classic 200G mono)

Dizzy Reece:  Star Bright BN 4023 (Classic 200G mono)

Sonny Sharock:  Black Woman  (4 Men)

Sinatra and Jobim (Rhino/Kevin Gray)

Sinatra:  September Of My Years (Rhino/Gray)

Bruce Springsteen:  Devils and Dust

Joss Stone:  Soul Sessions(UK Import)

Jesse Sykes:  Reckless Burning

Linda Thompson:  Fashionably Late

Muddy Waters:  Folksinger (Classic)

Lucinda Williams:  World Without Tears

Lester Young:: The President Plays With

The Oscar Pederson Trio (Speaker’s Corner)

Jesus H. Christ! That's like, $1000+ worth of vinyl right there, Wolff. How do you do it?

Nice counterfeiting operation?

Rockefeller heir?

:blink::crazy::excited::wub:

Yeah, COMES A TIME is a great Neil Young album. Maybe not his "best" from a purely artistic standpoint - lacking the edginess of his best work - but one of his most consistently enjoyable/playable records for me over the years. There's a nice vibe therein.

Wolff - so you are a fan of those Classic Records BN mono editions, eh? I've been curious...will have to pick one or two up and give them a try. The prices for original pressings on those on eBay are cray-zee IN-sane...

Edited by DrJ

• 4 weeks later...

Got some rare items on ebay recently:

Cal Tjader - Tjader (Fantasy, 1970), finally a very good sounding mint copy after a warped one ...

Cal Tjader - The Prophet (Verve, 1968) only a few ticks, I can't see why Verve forgot to reissue this great sounding album with some of Cal's warmest playing, nice Joao Donato organ, and tasteful arrangements from Don Sebesky. Very nice!

Chico Hamilton Trio (Pacific Jazz) with Howard Roberts or Jim Hall and George Duvivier - the latter has plenty solos here! Japanese pressing with a later Liberty reissue cover. Just learned this is due out on LoneHill CD ....

Found the double album, "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol II" today.

All his early stuff. NO cover notes. I have no idea when it was recorded but the picture of Dylan on the cover is an early one.

Was a HUGE Dylan listener in the sixties. A wave of nostalgia hit me when I saw this. Both records are in surprisingly good shape. No scratches or dirt. Unusual for records from the sixties, with the exception of jazz and classical, I find.

When you put on that Dylan Greatest Hits Vol II, go straight to Side Four. The stuff with Happy Traum (I Shall Be Released, Down In The Flood, and You Ain't Goin' Nowhere) is some of my all time favorite Dylan.

Thank you Z Man. I hadn't even thought about Dylan since the sixties, but was reminded of him when he did some work on the Michael Douglas film, Wonder Boys and won an Oscar.

His music certainly has legs.

The songs you mention are some of my favourites from my salad days. Thank you again. :wub:

Well sadly I'm gloomy about buying vinyl on ebay at the moment.

I started using ebay about 8 weeks ago. Out of 9 transactions, one failed to show up and in two record condition was pretty much unplayable. I thought I'd been pretty careful re sellers with good feedback. Perhaps this reflects the vulnerability of vinyl rather than unscrupulous ebayers.

Was a HUGE Dylan listener in the sixties.

I am a HUGE Dylan listener right now. :D Sundazed realeased a great sounding reissues of his early records from mono original master tapes at good price, reccomended...and I won a sealed first pressing of 'Desire' on ebay at ten bucks some times ago.

Mr. Zimmerman rules, he is one of these human beings like Miles or Trane, blessed by God, Allah or Buddah or whatever you call HIM

Edited by porcy62

Was a HUGE Dylan listener in the sixties.

I am a HUGE Dylan listener right now. :D Sundazed realeased a great sounding reissues of his early records from mono original master tapes at good price, reccomended...and I won a sealed first pressing of 'Desire' on ebay at ten bucks some times ago.

Mr. Zimmerman rules, he is one of these human beings like Miles or Trane, blessed by God, Allah or Buddah or whatever you call HIM

I had all his albums on vinyl as a teenager. Years later I briefly went to CDs and got rid of my records and turntable. I actually dumped my whole record collection and my turntable for fifty dollars!!! DUH!!!

I then had to start all over again, doing penance for making such a collossal error. Since then, having gone back to vinyl, I have mostly concentrated on jazz and the odd classical disc and hadn't even thought of Dylan. So, this was a departure, but I'm enjoying the set.

• 3 years later...

Inside Sauter-Finnegan, Sons of Sauter-Finnegan and Carlie Barnett - Redskin Romp. If you know anything about these records, they all have beautiful Jim Flora covers. These records are all in beautiful shape (one has a slight stain on the back but that's it.) I paid more for them than I'd care to admit, but I've been looking for them forever and the covers are in such good shape.

Not my copies, but mine are as nice, in not nicer (and mine are LPs, not 45 albums):

sauter-finegan.jpg

sauter-finegan-sonsof.jpg

redskin-romp-cover.jpg

Edited by Captain Wrong

Due to recent economic situation I turned myself in a annoying guest, begging for old and forgotten records. Some friends and relatives are happy to get rid of them, and of me, I presume.

So I got some classical and pop/rock stuff in these days, for free.

Times like these are great to familiarize myself with the great records I already have, rather than constantly dragging new things into the house.