Anti-recommendations

AfricaBrass

I found McCoy Tyner's 13th House a bid dud. I didn't realize it had Hubert Laws on it and when I realized it that kind of ruined it for me. Music is too all over the place to suit me. It's probably ebay time for that baby.

Regardin Don Wilkerson I like all his stuff but Preach Brother just didn't do it for me, which is surprising when you consider that Grant and Sonny Clark are on that record.

Edited by Brad

• 4 years later...

Stumbled on to this thread while looking for something else, but I can think of one time where I couldn't get rid of a cd fast enough. Probably the biggest waste of money I ever spent was on Zorn's Naked City. As soon as I left the store and popped the cd in, I don't think I made it even half way home, when after the 6th song, I turned right around and headed right back to the store and returned it. Thankfully, Half Price had a cash back return policy the first week of purchase, but I couldn't wait that long. Just horiffic. But clearly, just my opinion. Other people may dig it, just not my cup of tea.

The one album that I wish I hadn't purchased is John Zorn's "Absinthe". I have read comments by its supporters that it is a fine example of an ambient album and that I just don't understand ambient sounds. I guess I don't. To me, it sounds like an effort to make as little sound as possible for the length of an album.

Hey, how come John Zorn's name is popping up so often in this thread?

Worst album I ever bought was Bob Dylan's Live at Budokan. I took it back to the store claiming it was warped. Fortunately there wasn't another, so I exchanged it for the Grateful Dead's Dead Set.

Heh, that was the very first Dylan LP that I ever bought. Still have it, still love it despite it's, uh, faults. :P

I’m in the same boat, AfricaBrass. It’s very rare to run across something that’s a complete waste of time and money. Now, I’m not much into fusion or anything approaching a ’70’s vibe. So I don’t think it’s fair to slam something that falls within my blind spot. Unless I can entertain myself while poking fun at my limitations, that is.

I was very disappointed by Mobley’s torpid playing on Thinking Of Home. Almost like he was saying, “I just don’t give a shit anymore.” Nearly the aural equivalent of being flipped off. If I’d heard this before buying it, I would have spent my money on something else. But it was Mobley, how could it be a clinker? Besides, there seem to be all kinds of people with tastes similar to mine that actually like this record. Expectation can be a terrible thing when disappointed.

Was it really that bad? I gave Thinking Of Home a second and even third spin recently and no, I’m not about to say I’ve found something intriguing that I’d missed before, but I did notice something. Recorded in 1970, Hank was tinkering with elements of the era. I’m now unclear as to if diminished capacity or interest was a factor, but even the production values lean toward that ’70’s sound. So while I don’t like the recording, at least I can make peace with my expectations and chalk it up to that ’70’s blind spot.

Y'know, the first time I listened to Thinking Of Home I was struck by the sound, an unlikeable aura so different from his earlier BN's. Then it suddenly occured to me that the production was more in a 70's mould; ahhh, THAT explains it.

It's far from Mobley's sprightliest playing, true...but I'm not sure I'd call it "torpid." I swing back and forth over the fence on this one; sometimes I actually get some pleasure out of it, other times it doesn't do a thing for me.

I thought "Complete Don Wilkerson Blue Note Recordings" was a real clinker. Talk about uninspiring play! The man seems devoid of ideas. I bought the set because of Grant Green, but I couldn't imagine that the tenor player would be so boring.

I dumpled the cds as quickly as if I had picked up a snapping turtle in a pond.

Damn, my hand is still sore.

Don Wilkerson is God!

MG

I’m in the same boat, AfricaBrass. It’s very rare to run across something that’s a complete waste of time and money. Now, I’m not much into fusion or anything approaching a ’70’s vibe. So I don’t think it’s fair to slam something that falls within my blind spot. Unless I can entertain myself while poking fun at my limitations, that is.

I was very disappointed by Mobley’s torpid playing on Thinking Of Home. Almost like he was saying, “I just don’t give a shit anymore.” Nearly the aural equivalent of being flipped off. If I’d heard this before buying it, I would have spent my money on something else. But it was Mobley, how could it be a clinker? Besides, there seem to be all kinds of people with tastes similar to mine that actually like this record. Expectation can be a terrible thing when disappointed.

Was it really that bad? I gave Thinking Of Home a second and even third spin recently and no, I’m not about to say I’ve found something intriguing that I’d missed before, but I did notice something. Recorded in 1970, Hank was tinkering with elements of the era. I’m now unclear as to if diminished capacity or interest was a factor, but even the production values lean toward that ’70’s sound. So while I don’t like the recording, at least I can make peace with my expectations and chalk it up to that ’70’s blind spot.

Y'know, the first time I listened to Thinking Of Home I was struck by the sound, an unlikeable aura so different from his earlier BN's. Then it suddenly occured to me that the production was more in a 70's mould; ahhh, THAT explains it.

It's far from Mobley's sprightliest playing, true...but I'm not sure I'd call it "torpid." I swing back and forth over the fence on this one; sometimes I actually get some pleasure out of it, other times it doesn't do a thing for me.

Thinking of home is my favourite Mobley...

MG

Thinking Of Home is a beautiful record, I find it heartbreaking. Mobley's later playing turns some off, but I've come to love it and I see it as a "stripping down to the essence".

I like the record too. Mobley's tone is a bit thin (the lung problems were evident by then I think) but it is a very lyrical date.

For once the 'Rainbow Series' cover art on the original LP with a shack under snow in what looks like Siberia was spot on.

I dumpled the cds as quickly as if I had picked up a snapping turtle in a pond.

You'll be sorry! I'm no big fan of this set, yet, but I'm gonna keep hold of it 'cause I have a feeling it will grow. Besides, the idea of dumping an album that has Patton, Green, Clark is completely ridiculous.

My tastes have changed. I've got to pick this up again. With BJP, Grant and Sonny? :o C'mon, it can't be that bad.

I like it a lot, too. Not my favorite Mobley album, but certainly worth getting!

I also like Thinking of Home. Agreed, not his best, but certianly not the worst (hard to think of any bad ones off the top of my head, well BN at least). I was always struck by the fact that the bass player's name is Mickey Bass. I guess that was a calling, if I ever heard one.

When I was a teenager with zero disposable income, I found the Byrds reunion album on Asylum in a cutout bin for 25 cents. This album, from the early 70s, had the five original Byrds. "How bad can it be for a quarter?" I thought. (The beards and cowboy gear on the cover were clues I chose to ignore).

Well, the album was so bad, I actually brought it back, claimed it was defective, and got my 25 cents back.