Coltrane Complete Prestige Box

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the sound on the Evans really bugged me... which is why I got rid of it 6 months ago... (Also NO Booklet??? :angry::angry: )

Ya know, for a set that came out in '91, the sound quality of this s--- sounds damn MF good. Ditto for the Evans box.

To my ears, early '90's Fantasy CDs generally sound pretty damn great. :tup

Are the individual recordings about the same, better or worse than those on the box set? Since they ran out of Evans Complete Riverside before they got to my order, I'm giving strong thought to buying up the individual recordings included in the box. I won't be able to do it for what I would have paid for it in the blowout sale, but I can do it for considerably less than what the set is selling for in various places on the internet.

I guess I probably shouldn't be too concerned. I never seem to notice or be bothered by the sound quality of any recordings some seem to find fault in. Maybe my stereo and ears aren't as high end as others. :wacko:

Despite what others on the board say, the sonics on the Evans box are fine to me (similar to other early 90s Fantasy CD reissues) and not "terrible". However, I am not an audiophile, so don't listen to my opinion. :D

Edited by trane_fanatic

Excellent!! Looks like everyone who wanted one got one.... :cool::cool:

I have to say that despite their blunders...this is very good news...

Now if anyone's got any pull left... Can we get them to put the Wes Montgomery on sale?

Got an email from Concord today, saying that my Coltrane box is on the way (ordered 7/30)! :tup:excited:

Edited by tranemonk

I am, in a very twisted way, laughing at how the jazz gods are toying with me. My Coltrane box arrived at the Fed Ex depot, fifteen miles from my home, Friday, and it's still hasn't been delivered. I could drive there and pick it up in twenty minutes. Amazing how slow Fed Ex is.

It took me about a month as my parents visited for a couple of weeks and cut into my listening time, but I finished listening to the Coltrane box backwards :P just the other night. (Also listened all of the other 32 discs in my order at least twice.) I do love K2's but I'm very pleased with the sound quality of the "regular" mastering of the set, and there's a lifetime of enjoyment to be had here. Hmm, maybe I should work my way back and listen to it from the beginning to end. I did drop in First Meditations somewhere in the middle just to remind myself as to what came later. :)

Great set and a terrific book. I think I will make some handy playlist inserts to make it easier to play albums should I be in the mood for that (not that the mood happen that often.)

Great set and a terrific book.

I knew I was missing out on something when I saw that small ZYX booklet. The discographical data (even

including small b/w covers of all LPs) is all there but there's no essay or commentary on the sessions.

What's the big US booklet like exactly?

I've only made it through the first two discs of the Coltrane set and everything has been very enjoyable so far except for the occasional Paul Chambers bowed-bass solo. This one has been waiting for a while because I was still working my way through Dexter Gordon's Prestiges, Donald Byrd's Royal Flush and the Crusader's 2nd Crusade which came before or about the same time as the Coltane did. I haven't even had a chance to look through the book yet but I'm really looking forward to diving into that and the rest of the set over the next week or so.

Great set and a terrific book. I think I will make some handy playlist inserts to make it easier to play albums should I be in the mood for that (not that the mood happen that often.)

Couw has some made a booklet that is great for this purpose! Plus he's made them for some of the other box sets that some of us have as well! :tup

Couw's booklets

That disk with the 'Dakar' album on it is my personal favourite. :wub:

"Dakar" is spread over two discs and is my favorite too. It reminds me a lot of very early Sun Ra, with the two baritone saxes and just with its overall flavor. I mean the Sun Ra of "Sun Song", "Supersonic Sounds", "Jazz In Silhouette".

Couw has some made a booklet that is great for this purpose! Plus he's made them for some of the other box sets that some of us have as well! :tup

Couw's booklets

The instructions on how to put together couw's trifold Coltrane booklet can be found here (it's similar to the Monk Riverside and Mingus Debut booklets). I've used his brochures for every applicable set I have--even the ones that came with the large booklets. They're much easier to use during listening than the large booklets, and make all session and album information incredibly easy to follow. And, FWIW, I print them out reduced to 91%, which makes them fit perfectly inside of each jewel case. :rolleyes:

I've said it before but I'll say it again: THANKS, JOHN! :tup

Great set and a terrific book.

I knew I was missing out on something when I saw that small ZYX booklet. The discographical data (even

including small b/w covers of all LPs) is all there but there's no essay or commentary on the sessions.

What's the big US booklet like exactly?

The book is the size of an LP and 32 pages, mostly in black & white but 2 pages of 12 leader LP covers are in color.

Some of what you get includes:

2 pages listing the songs on the discs, with boldface print listing the leader and in some cases album titles.

A page with the alphabetical listing of songs giving the disc and track number. The facing page is a full sized close up photo of Coltrane.

A page listing the sessions with dates and players.

A 5 page essay about his work in the '50s.

2 pages of 12 LP covers in color. Another page of 19 LP covers in black & white.

9 pages describing the sessions. Many pictures interspersed, some larger than others.

3 pages of discography.

There are 4 photos of Coltrane that take up a full page and a few other photos (such as of Monk, Chambers and Miles Davis) that take up half a page. Black & white photos of Burrell and many other players in the sessions section are about 8.25 cm square.

One the one hand a book this size isn't that easy to handle if looking for information quickly, but it is a nice thing to look over in a more calm relaxing sort of way.

Couw's booklets

I was almost certain he had. In fact in my original post I typed in I was going to download couw's booklets, but as it was late and hadn't looked at his booklets since I've gotten the set I erased that, just in case I was confused. (It's been known to happen.) I mean, for all I know it may have just been pages of proper glassware for dubbels and trippels in disguise. ;)

Thanks couw!

Edited by Quincy

Mine finally arrived an hour ago and I've been playing disk one. Very nice sound, not muffled, seems very open, nice detail. Booklet is very good also, Prestige did a first class job on this from the looks and sound of this box. This is an ab-sol-ute steal at the price. Hate to see what it'll cost on Ebay in a couple of years. Glad I have it. :cool:

Who said you had to wait a few years for E-bay... when you get a Japanese edition...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...27405&BAB=E

I haven't listened to my set yet... but I suspect this HAS to be the Deal of the year... (far ahead of that Live at the Cellar Door debacle...)

Mine finally arrived an hour ago and I've been playing disk one. Very nice sound, not muffled, seems very open, nice detail. Booklet is very good also, Prestige did a first class job on this from the looks and sound of this box. This is an ab-sol-ute steal at the price. Hate to see what it'll cost on Ebay in a couple of years. Glad I have it. :cool:

Thanks for the detailed info on the booklet!

The book is the size of an LP and 32 pages, mostly in black & white but 2 pages of 12 leader LP covers are in color.

The ZYX booklet is the size of a CD jewel case, 12 pages in b/w.

2 pages listing the songs on the discs, with boldface print listing the leader and in some cases album titles.

A page listing the sessions with dates and players.

2 pages of 12 LP covers in color. Another page of 19 LP covers in black & white.

3 pages of discography.

These seem to be identical (except for the lack of color and the page size)

A page with the alphabetical listing of songs giving the disc and track number. The facing page is a full sized close up photo of Coltrane.

A 5 page essay about his work in the '50s.

9 pages describing the sessions. Many pictures interspersed, some larger than others.

There are 4 photos of Coltrane that take up a full page and a few other photos (such as of Monk, Chambers and Miles Davis) that take up half a page. Black & white photos of Burrell and many other players in the sessions section are about 8.25 cm square.

None of that is included in the ZYX booklet. :(

I really despise ZYX for doing this. I had no idea there were other editions of these box sets out there when I bought the small ones. The Miles booklet they did at least had the session descriptions but the Trane one seems reduced to an absolute minimum. One of these days I'll have to find a way to get my hands on one of those big US booklets (or at least scans thereof).