What was the first Miles Davis record in your collection?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just realised that my initial response to this thread was wrong. It wasn't the 'Greatest Hits' LP (although this was the first one I actually bought) but a loan from an uncle (for which I will forever be grateful) of the 'Essential Miles Davis' 3LP set put out by Henri Renaud at French CBS ( :tup ). This is the one with the flock 'Indian restaurant wallpaper' style box cover (very early 70s) and the bonus 45rpm of 'Great Expectations'. That would have made the first Miles I heard side 1 track 1 'Bye Bye Blackbird' with Coltrane. Not a bad intro.

I've since got me a copy of that great 3LP set !

Miles_Essential_bx_Fr.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

Glad you enjoy it. The cover is psychadelic furry felt so it is also very pleasant to touch ! :rsmile:

Henri Renaud at French CBS put out such great material around this time (including those massive Basie sets) and fortunately some of it sneaked in to the UK. :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

It was around 1972, and I had heard Mahavishnu and was knocked out by McLaughlin's guitar playing. I went to a record store(all vinyl in those days!) with a few buddies and one noticed that McLaughlin was on a double album by Miles Davis, so I bought Live/Evil. 'What I Say' floored me, with Miles' pyrotechnic solo and Jarrett's long electric piano solo, and McLaughlin burnin' up the fretboard. Jack deJohnette became a hero to me(musically), and that album led me into more Miles, Jack, Gary Bartz, Airto, Jarrett, etc.

A cassette tape with Sketches of Spain on one side and In a Silent Way on the other. I would have eventually gotten deep into jazz anyway, but this particular purchase was inspired by a short story by Harlan Ellison where this guy decides to listen to Sketches of Spain as the world ends.

Not too long after I got the cassette version of BB, which I liked a lot. KOB was probably next after that.

It was his Blue Note stuff for me if I remember.

Actually never made a big secret of the fact that until about 4-5 years ago that was all the Miles I really listened to. Although now I do have the Prestige sides and Columbia ealrier stuff and some other stuff..........never really done much for me. Certainly never made my foot tap the same way that other stuff from that era did or any other era he played in