Creating CD copies from LPs

Head Man

I have a large LP collection which I am gradually replacing by CD on an 'as and when' basis. However I have a number of LPs that I am sure will never be reissued on CD plus some that I quite enjoy but don't want to pay to replace by a CD.

Therefore I'm looking for the best way of converting my LPs to CD using some hardware/software and my Windows XP computer.

I don't want anything too complicated - who does? - but I'd like the finished product to sound good with gaps between tracks etc.

Can anyone recommend something that does this and is easily available in the UK?

BTW I saw in a newspaper today a very short review of something described as a 'PhonoPreAmpiVinyl' from a company called Terratec. It is a freestanding unit about the size of a cigarette pack and connects direct to a turntable, with another connection to a computer via the USB port. It does not require any drivers, sound cards or power supply, so seems very easy to set up etc. Does anyone know anything about this particular product?

PhonoPreAmp iVinyl

Digitise records and tapes with 24bit/96KHz for MP3-PlayersPhonoPreAmp iVinyl

The sound-rich duo for perfect audio recordings

With ease and speed, the PhonoPreAmp iVinyl can eternalize your LP, single or cassette recordings via the USB interface. All with no sound card!

High-quality PhonoPreAmp for perfect recordings

Record your old audio recordings to your PC without quality loss. The PhonoPreAmp is equipped with an input for your turntable (with moving magnet cartridge) and with a port for tape decks or other audio sources. Adjustable levels, shielded housing, not to mention carefully selected components and a first-class signal-to-noise ratio together guarantee the perfect recording. The phono PreAmp requires no drivers, no sound card and no power supply. Connect it to your computer’s USB port and start recording.

Easy-to-use restoration software for Windows and Mac

Do your records pop and crackle? Static noise on your tapes? TerraTec SoundRescue (Windows) and Roxio CD Spin Doctor (Mac) are powerful yet easy to use programs that will get rid of those annoying noises for you in no time at all. It operates in realtime, and with a simple click of the mouse. Now there is nothing standing in the way of listening pleasure in CD quality.

Package Content:

* Phono PreAmp iVinyl

* Cinch/RCA cabel

* USB connecting cable

* Quick Setup Guide

* Driver/Software CD

* Registration card

* Service card

ppA-iVinyl-Diagramm.jpg

Note: At around $150, it ain't cheap. If you really need something that allows you to do the same thing for less money, how about the iMic USB External Sound Card by Griffin Technology, which goes for $35? I've never used it, but it seems to garner good reviews from many owners. Here's an Amazon.com link that includes 68 reviews: iMic

I use an external Soundblaster card connected to a USB port on my PC and (via a USB extension lead, the line interface on the Soundblaster and custom adapter cable) to one of the output sockets on my pre-amp. Used with the Creative Smart Recorder software - gives fine results at up to 98 kHz.

Often, the results are even better than the issued CD.

Edited by sidewinder

What a great board this is!

Thanks to everyone for your help & advice. I've decided to go for the Xitel Inport since that seems to do what I want & comes recommended by Chuck. It's also cheaper than the 'PhonoPreAmp iVinyl' so that's another point in it's favour!

I'll let you know how things turn out.

I'm intrigued by the Inport (and the other suggestions as well), but was wondering what advantages it gives to just going from amp/preamp directly into your sound card? I have the burning software from Roxio already, so that's probably not an issue.

INport bypasses your sound card. That is usually a good thing.

Why?

I've gotten great LP tranfers using the soundcard and Goldwave. Although it would certainly save steps if their software recognizes track breaks and splits up the tracks automatically and also sets levels, I fail to see the advantage otherwise. If the point in bypassing the soundcard is the fact that soundcards are easy to overdrive, well - set the levels lower.

There's only a point in bypassing the sound card if the inputs on whatever device you're using are better than those of the sound card. Arguably, a separate device at some distance from the computer will not be subject to intereference from the computer itself to the same extent, but I think you'd have to go above $50 to really get an improvement over the sound card inputs.

Edited by Daniel A

Thanks to everyone for your help & advice. I've decided to go for the Xitel Inport since that seems to do what I want & comes recommended by Chuck. It's also cheaper than the 'PhonoPreAmp iVinyl' so that's another point in it's favour!

Just to be clear though - even using the Inport you still need either a phono preamp or a receiver with a built-in phono preamp. It's not just output levels but RIAA EQ curves you need to worry about - which is why you can't just plug your turntable into any jack on the back of your amp/receiver.

Why?

I've gotten great LP tranfers using the soundcard and Goldwave. Although it would certainly save steps if their software recognizes track breaks and splits up the tracks automatically and also sets levels, I fail to see the advantage otherwise. If the point in bypassing the soundcard is the fact that soundcards are easy to overdrive, well - set the levels lower.

When copying the fewer links in the chain, the better.

This looks very interesting. I had a quick shufti around Google on UK sites only and the cheapest I found was here

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=Xitel

£52.99 - post free.

It looks as if the cheaper option might be to get one from the US. Not sure about how to handle problems or faults, however.

MG

Why?

I asked Count Von Count and it's the exact same number of links

sesame_street_count_dracula.jpg

seems to me the INport is just an external soundcard. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why?

I asked Count Von Count and it's the exact same number of links

sesame_street_count_dracula.jpg

seems to me the INport is just an external soundcard. Nothing more, nothing less.

With audio software included.

That's exactly it - I was thinking that from the turntable RCA to the line input, I've got no extra links, and that device obviously does (even though its using the USB and not the line input).

This looks very interesting. I had a quick shufti around Google on UK sites only and the cheapest I found was here

http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=Xitel

£52.99 - post free.

It looks as if the cheaper option might be to get one from the US. Not sure about how to handle problems or faults, however.

MG

Plus the additional shipping costs & possible customs duties.

I'm getting mine from the UK

Why?

Here's a bunch of marketing hype that explains why the Inport is better.

But, from my perspective, some of the hype makes sense. Most commercial sound cards (even the expensive, high-end "gamer" cards) are mostly concerned with sound playback, rather than sound recording.

In theory, a device concerned only with recording (and priced about the same as most basic soundcards) will have better analog to digital components. The fact that it is external is also a plus -- any electrical noise present inside the PC case will have much less effect on an external device.

Heck, just the 30' cable and the software are worth the $60 pricetag, IMHO. The cable is very nice (not some cheapo-radio shack thing), and the software is very easy to use, yet powerful; designed specifically for recording analog signals to your PC.

No, I don't work for Xitel... just a very satifisfied customer. ;):cool: