First box-set you ever got?

My first Mosaic was the Monk Complete Blue Note box in 1985. But I can't remember what my first box set of any type was.

My first Mosaic and my first box!

That's 'cause it was THE first Mosaic and THE first Mosaic box! A treasured possession, even if Blue Note did reissue the music on a fine cd set a few years ago. Can't ever have enough Monk!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people would admit this...The very first multi-record set I ever purchased? Kiss' re-release of their first three albums as a set around '76. I was 13 and just got a set of drums. (Those were the "Metal" years.) By the time I was 17 I was into Mile's, Sonny, and Coltrane, and anybody with a good drummer.

The first Mosaic:

The Jazz Messengers and Ike Quebec sets purchased at the same time in the early 90's.

I think my first box set was Bob Dylan's "Biograph" about 20 years ago. My first jazz box set was the Crusaders' "Way Back Home" 15+ years ago . Ironically, my first Mosaic was "The Jazz Crusaders' Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings" in 2005. I didn't think I'd ever fill all the holes in the Way Back Home set. (I still need "Old Socks, New Shoes".)

Edited by mikelz777

It was a 3CD EMI compilation called "History of Jazz" which covers the blues to the modern jazz of the 1950s - quite a few of the numbers were recreations of the originals. I was fascinated by the music then, but looking at/listening to the collection now, it's much to be desired.