Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?

mose_allison_6cd.jpg

It was delivered today by amazon. A properly licensed reissue, mastered from master tapes in the Warner vaults, sounding good - better engineering than on the Prestige albums. The music is groovy, all sidemen are inspired. I'm glad I got me a copy.

A small cardboard box with six CDs in separate cardboard slipcases and a nice booklet, btw.

... and there are such priceless lyrics as "Your mind is on vacation, and your mouth is working overtime."

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to hearing that Mose set myself.  Right now, revisiting discs 9-10 of the Herbie Hancock Columbia box, which cover the 1976 Newport Jazz Festival appearance that featured VSOP (first incarnation of this group, I believe?), the Mwandishi Sextet, and the Headhunters... quite the Herbie fest!

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fhd24bit.com%2Fuploads%2

On 8/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, mikeweil said:

mose_allison_6cd.jpg

... and there are such priceless lyrics as "Your mind is on vacation, and your mouth is working overtime."

I like the line before that even better:  "If silence was golden, you wouldn't be worth a dime.".   And of course the punchline to "Parchman Farm" is priceless.

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Music from early Antonioni films, L'Avventura, La Notte, l'Eclisse, and Il Deserto Rosso.

La Notte is a perennial favorite of mine. With Jeanne Moreau, Mastroiani and Monica Vitti. I hadn't ever stopped to consider its music, though. And I will now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 10:35 PM, Bluesnik said:

La Notte is a perennial favorite of mine. With Jeanne Moreau, Mastroiani and Monica Vitti.

I browsed IMDB the other day to learn about the music. And I found out Umberto Eco also appears in the movie as a guest at the party. He must have been young then. I read one of his books in university, The Definition of Art. He only got into writing novels later. At the beginning he was a non fiction writer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...