Keepnews Collection

cayetano

I should've mentioned this earlier when answering about Creed Taylor: when Legacy did the reissues of CTIs back in the late 90's/early 00's, at least the focus was mainly on the artist. Sure there was the obligatory blurb about Creed and his accomplishments/influence, but there was nothing on the level of the Keepnews collection (self-congratulatory liner notes (two sets of 'em); pictures of Creed; Creed Taylor's name highlighted on the side of the jewel box).

Every time I hear about Creed's ego, I remember something I read where his ego was battling Freddie Hubbard's ego in contract negotiations in the mid-70's. I guess it takes a pretty big ego to keep the playing field level.

In the grand scheme of things, yeah Creed has/had an ego; but it's planets away from Orrin's; which is why my respect for Orrin sinks lower every time I see his name slapped on a reissue of some sort.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should've mentioned this earlier when answering about Creed Taylor: when Legacy did the reissues of CTIs back in the late 90's/early 00's, at least the focus was mainly on the artist. Sure there was the obligatory blurb about Creed and his accomplishments/influence, but there was nothing on the level of the Keepnews collection (self-congratulatory liner notes (two sets of 'em); pictures of Creed; Creed Taylor's name highlighted on the side of the jewel box).

Every time I hear about Creed's ego, I remember something I read where his ego was battling Freddie Hubbard's ego in contract negotiations in the mid-70's. I guess it takes a pretty big ego to keep the playing field level.

In the grand scheme of things, yeah Creed has/had an ego; but it's planets away from Orrin's; which is why my respect for Orrin sinks lower every time I see his name slapped on a reissue of some sort.

Yeah, but who was it who had his signature reproduced on every album sleeve?

MG

Yeah, but who was it who had his signature reproduced on every album sleeve?

MG

Sure, I won't argue that; but a simple signature is still a far cry from "I am unshakeably and unreasonably proud of my work," which you'll find in every Keepnews collection disc.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone figure out the Keepnews put-down of "Urgetsu" (to me, one of the strongest of all Messengers albums) in his notes to the new "Caravan" reissue? He never finishes his point - not like him to miss an opportunity for an anecdote.

I picked up "Everybody Digs Bill Evans"

First off I want to say that Joe Tarantino did a great remastering job (24 bit) as usual- I think the sound on this version is a somewhat of an improvement over the 20bit K2. (anyone want to buy my K2 version? PM me)

I think Orrin Keepnews's liner notes are, for the most part, interesting.

I do have one issue. The lp and all prior cd issues of this included Evans's slight tune "Epilogue" at the close of of each lp side. The Keepnews reissue just has this tune play at the end, that is once, just before the bonus track. Presumably this is because the cd has just one side? I am not sure and no explanation is given

But, given Keepnews's insistence in the liner notes about how faithful he is to the original LP, this change from the original seems to fly in the face of that.

adderl_cann_cannonbal_112b.jpg

cd sounds really good to my ears

:w

I'm in total agreement with you. Sound is fabulous on this and the Wes (so far the only two in the series I own).

Those two I have as well (also the Gene Ammons "Boss Tenor", Groove Holmes and "Hawk Relaxes"). I agree about the Adderley, sounds good! Still have to play the Wes and can't tell about Ammons, Groove & Hawk, these are the first versions I ever got of the respective albums (they all sound good, but I just have nothing to compare them to).

and it has material not on my earlier cd.

Doh, I missed that. How come these weren't reissued before?

1. Few Words By Cannonball... And This Here, A

2. Spontaneous Combustion

3. Hi-Fly

4. You Got It!

5. Bohemia After Dark AKA Birdland After Dark

6. Straight, No Chaser - (bonus track)

7. There Here

8. You Got It! - (previously unreleased)

3. Hi-Fly

4. You Got It!

7. There Here

I didn't realise there was new material on this either.

MG

3. Hi-Fly

4. You Got It!

7. There Here

"Straight, No Chaser" did appear on the OJC.