George Russell

Shrdlu

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the one that really got ahold of me is the "New York, N.Y." album. Ya gotta hear that! I got it as one of two LPs in an early 70s twofer, but it's on CD too. The LP set had no personnel details, so I listened as a blindfold test, just for fun. Wow, lots of major guys there! Hey, that's Bill Evans, ... , Bobby Brookmeyer, ... and Trane, ... wait, there's Art Farmer, ... Benny Golson....

Up.

Just picked up this date tonight (the Decca/MCA edition, not the Impulse!) and yes, its yet another great album! Just this year in fact, is the first time I heard Russell (Live at the Five Spot) and was absolutely knocked sideways by it! What an incredible album! So just tonight, after one listen, NY, NY has left yet another indelible impression on me. And yeah, what a cast, but it has that same crispness that the Five Spot date has. I'm so glad that I took a chance on these dates and now I positively want to pick up the Riverside dates and so forth. With just these two date for Decca, I have an incredible respect for Russell's art.

• 14 years later...

I was looking for Bernt Rosengren videos, prompted by his recent passing. I happened to find this recording of George Russell and a (mostly) Swedish Big Band, including Rosengren, from 1967. Audio is missing from the last couple of minutes, but there is a link to another video with the missing part in the YouTube description.

19 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I was looking for Bernt Rosengren videos, prompted by his recent passing. I happened to find this recording of George Russell and a (mostly) Swedish Big Band, including Rosengren, from 1967. Audio is missing from the last couple of minutes, but there is a link to another video with the missing part in the YouTube description.

Folke Rabe in the trombone section -- nice!

I love the way he presents everybody in the band before they start to play. A trombonist I play with participated in some of Russell's other projects in Sweden at the time, and I seem to recall he has told that the rehearsals were not always smooth.

15 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

George Russell did a fantastic exotica track called "Fellow Delegates." 

Excellent track! I would never have guessed it was a Russell tune.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Folke Rabe in the trombone section -- nice!

I wonder who pulled together the band. Do you know who trombonist "George Bernard" is? I cannot find a trace of him online. He looks as if he might be in his 50s, so somewhat older than most of the other players.

Denny Zeitlin has discussed time he spent one summer toward the end of his medical training talking about music at length with Russell in his NYC home.

As I remember, the Five Spot album sounds like a studio recreation of a live gig, as the piano is remarkably in tune for the Five Spot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 8:51 PM, Daniel A said:

I wonder who pulled together the band. Do you know who trombonist "George Bernard" is? I cannot find a trace of him online. He looks as if he might be in his 50s, so somewhat older than most of the other players.

Just not to spread potentially misleading information - it turns out that the trombonist is frequent session man George Vernon.