Paul Quinichette

mikeweil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I'm on a Quinichette kick lately. Of the three Basie tributes he recorded in the late Fifties, this one seems the best to me:

R-12394036-1534371526-5381.jpeg.jpg

Great recorded sound by Tom Nola, much better than the two for Prestige Van Gelder engineered. Lots of dynamics. Nola catches the punch of the four trumpets so well. Jo Jones' drums sounds great here, too.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, mikeweil said:

I'm on a Quinichette kick lately. Of the three Basie tributes he recorded in the late Fifties, this one seems the best to me:

Great recorded sound by Tom Nola, much better than the two for Prestige Van Gelder engineered. Lots of dynamics. Nola catches the punch of the four trumpets so well. Jo Jones' drums sounds great here, too.

Nice to see this is being reissued in Japan.

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Nice to see this is being reissued in Japan.

Is Mosaic put of this, finally? It was a Mighty Quinn release when they had it. It may or may not be gone?

mosaic web site is "revamped", but before spending JBucks, I'd at least call and see if they answer. If they do, see if that got any lying around collecting dust or whatever their stuff does. It's a really good record!

On 6/20/2021 at 7:19 PM, mikeweil said:

Is that the same as this? (Image found on Dusty Groove, but out of stock):

quinic_paul_likewho~~_101b.jpg

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Looking at this song list... was Mainstream a legit label? On this CD, they assigned almost all writing credits to "(R Ellen) Molique Music BMI" and gave themselves copyright of all of the music with ℗ Mainstream Records. Clearly these things are not true.