Glad to be back

troyk

I joined at Peter Johnson's invitation a year ago. Made nice with most of you, bumbled on a few of your toes, apologized and then we were all getting along fine. Then after the db crash, I lost my supergrover status and I just drifted away, but I've been doing some research lately and Peter urged me to come back. I've gotten some great help this week from both searching and posting.

Thanks to all. I'm happy to be back. I'll watch my p's and q's.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lived around. Been in Seattle, Washington since 2000 and pretty happy here. I am a sometime busily working jazz bassist with a day job that I don't care enough about to mention very often. Won't catch me mentioning politics or religion except in the very broadest senses of the terms. I generally tend to be interested in the world and care about people.

I'll admit to being somewhat of a narrow listener. I really love hard bop. Mobley, Morgan, Henderson, Dorham, Golson and the gang. As a bassist, I have a connection to the playing of Butch Warren that I can't quite explain and I had a chance to meet him and see him play this year that was very moving to me. Ray Brown, Sam Jones, Oscar Pettiford, Chuck Isreals, Andy Simpkins are some of the many great players I love listening to.

I don't think there will ever be a finer jazz musician than Clifford Brown on any instrument. Despite opinions to the contrary, I think Dexter Gordon was a beautiful artist. I can sit and listen to either of those gentlemen for a week and not blink. Mingus continues to inspire me.

I also like vocal jazz more than most who are into bop. I do listen to other types of music, especially latin musics; Cuban, Bossa Nova, Tango, etc. I used to live in Miami and hear things that don't know how to categorize. I'd like to know how to play those things better some day.

Occasionally I find something like Teddy Charles that expands my horizons and I'm happy about that too. Listening to jazz, playing jazz, knowing the history and musicians and fans is all a very important part of my life.

I know a few people, but I don't claim to be anyone of any consequence. I've been happily married since 1993. My lovely wife works for NPR which carries with it some nice perks.

I do a lot of reading, worthwhile literature and completely worthless stuff alike.

That's a little more than you asked for, but I thought I should reintroduce myself.

No disrespect intended to Mr. LaFaro, but no, it wasn't an oversite. He is a great bassist and a very important one, but as admitted, I'm somewhat narrow in my jazz obsession. I like and admire Bill Evans Trio. Have some in my collection and it comes out for specific listening moods, but it's not my sweet spot. Evans, LaFaro and Motion were the start of something different in my mind. Something good, really talented cats, but something different.

I still haven't gotten over Sonny Clark Trio, Wyton Kelly Trio, Ray Brown Trio.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've been away for a good 18 months. Found I was repeating myself between two boards so chose one with more members from my neck of the woods. Very unhappy with recent events there (don't ask!).

Is it OK to rejoin here?

Bev (a bloke! See I've been reading if not posting!)

Welcome back, Bev! Those recent events at the other board have been bewildering to say the least.

You can color me bewildered, too, Noj. I honestly am not sure what happened, even now.

But that really is water under the bridge at this point, so... Lots of music to catch up on, no?! :)

Edited by seeline