Rooster_Ties

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A (typographical) comment in general ~

Have any of you ever noticed how Reid Miles almost consistently tended to make his leading (I think that's the right word) tight, whereas Patrick Roques' leading is looser? It seems a "give away" that it's a Roques' cover (which I still like) as a result.

Nice cover, Couw (Tippin')!

Thanks Ron! :tup

Hopefully I can re-enter the fray tomorrow.

Late,

That's a great observation about Roques vs. Miles. Roques does pull off the feel, but there is a difference. Personally I prefer the how tight Reid Miles covers were, but I do respect and appreciate Roques work and I'd love to see more of it.

Late,

That's a great observation about Roques vs. Miles. Roques does pull off the feel, but there is a difference. Personally I prefer the how tight Reid Miles covers were, but I do respect and appreciate Roques work and I'd love to see more of it.

Am I thinking leading or querning? (I guess I should just go and look it up.)

Another Jackie cover I'd like to see a "new" version of, for purely selfish reasons, is Demon's Dance. There's nothing wrong with the cover, I guess I'd just like to see a "Reid Miles" version of it.

Another observation: I think Reid was fond of pink! The shades of pink and purple he uses I've actually found very tasteful. If you look at Roques' covers to (using Jackie as an example) Vertigo and Jacknife, I don't think you would have seen Miles use those choices (red and yellow). Miles did use red a fair amount, but I think this was generally with a duotone. (Could be wrong about that.) Anyway, just some food for thought. Maybe I should be posting this in a Reid Miles thread. There probably is one!

If it helps, leading is the spacing between lines and kerning is the space between letters.

On the color issue. Miles oftentimes had a much smaller budget, thus he had one spot color and black (2 color). To me, that's the really classic BN cover look. I think if anyone wants to learn about duotones, Reid Miles is the man to study. I love his work.

I just wish that I had all those Francis Wolfe photos for my covers. :P

Ahh ... OK. Kerning it is — that's what I was thinking of. (Why did I spell it "querning"? Too much Scrabble, maybe.) Miles' kerning is usually tighter, and this seems (at least to me) a good path to follow to cop his lovely style. Not a diss on Roques, mind you. His stuff is very nice.

I've never been able to attach images either...they never show up...and they are under 100k.

Maybe it just ain't meant to be...

Keeps calling em' dynamic images....

that must mean you are trying to link to images on a website that returns a dynamic html address after a search. usually there are a bunch of dots and commas in there that do not belong in a static link.

or are you trying to attach an image to your post using the File Attachment function of the board?

I have no problems linking images...it's the file upload that I can never get to work.

Sometimes I get an error message (You cannot upload this type of file), other times I get no error message at all...but image still doesn't display.

I tried using both Jpeg & Gif versions even...same thing.

I'll check the specific file type when I get home this evening.

Gentlemen, your challenge for today: a cover for Grant Green's Iron City with the correct personnel listing.

Bertrand.

If I have time, I may accept your challenge. :D

I just wanted to compliment you on your Jack Casady avatar. He's one of my favorite rocks bassists. When I was a teenager, I played bass in a bands, and he was my biggest influence. It's funny, whenever I pick up a bass, I immediately play in his style. I sound like a mix of Casady and Phil Lesh (late '60s early '70s eras). :tup:g