Stan Getz - Your Favorite Albums

Guest bluenote82

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

I thoroughly concur on Focus!

Another one that I love is Change of Scenes with The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band, which includes some of Boland's most brilliant writing.

cos.jpg

would love to hear Dynasty with Rene Thomas and Eddy Louiss... is this available somewhere (at a decent price)?

That is a good one. Don't know if it's available. Speaking of "Captain Marvel," I saw that band "live" at The London House in Chicago. Probably one of the ten best performances I've ever heard. What a rhythm section -- and what loss it was when Stanley Clarke eventually went away in effect.

Difficult to pick a favourite. But they are all pre mid-fifties. The Roost Sessions, West Coast Jazz, the Getz/Brookmeyer Quintets, the Prestige quartet dates. They all give me a lot pf pleasure

In fact it was a friend's 78 of Getz doing Pennies From Heaven with Carlos Vidal that was one of my very earliest jazz memories. Those were the days!

Edited by JohnS

"People Time," the 2-CD duet album with Kenny Barron recorded about three months before Getz died in 1991, just kills me. Getz's melodicism is so extraordinary -- every phrase as natural as breathing, and the pair just seems to float so ebulliently through the swinging tunes. I'm fond of the late records with McNeely, but for me nothing compares to the depth of expression on "People Time" ...

Speaking of "Captain Marvel," if you haven't seen this, go now: http://youtube.com/watch?v=v5u747pBucM Larry, I'm extremely jealous that you saw this band live around the same time ...

I'd love to see the rest of this tape. I remember reading a story in Down Beat around 76-78 and somebody -- maybe Stan's wife? -- said something that always stuck with me, that (paraphrasing) Stan and Miles were the youngest 50 year olds in jazz.

Jim: I haven't heard the CD of "Captain Marvel." Your comment suggests a new mix or radically changed sound from the LP. Can you elaborate?

Edited by Mark Stryker

Jim: I haven't heard the CD of "Captain Marvel." Your comment suggests a new mix or radically changed sound from the LP. Can you elaborate?

Belden took away all the post-production reverb, so you get a very natural sounding listening experience.

Natural, but more than a little disconcerting if you['ve lived with the Lp for a few decades. But it takes care of itself in short order.Tony in particular comes into greater focus, and lordy merci, ain't that a good thing, especially since this is probably the last recorded exampleof his "classic" style (either this or Gil's There Comes A Time, but the ensemble vibe is so different there so as to make it a whole 'nother thing anyway...)

I'd forgotten about that Clarke-Boland thing, yeah, that's a doozy!

And sorry friends, but I'm with Larry on Focus. Mickey One, too.

"People Time," the 2-CD duet album with Kenny Barron recorded about three months before Getz died in 1991, just kills me. Getz's melodicism is so extraordinary -- every phrase as natural as breathing, and the pair just seems to float so ebulliently through the swinging tunes. I'm fond of the late records with McNeely, but for me nothing compares to the depth of expression on "People Time" ...

I haven't listened to that one for a long time. I'll have to give it a spin soon. When you talk about depth of expression, the song that really struck a chord with me on "People Time" was First Song (For Ruth). When I first heard this CD and that song came on I just stopped everything I was doing and intently listened to the whole song. I think I might have replayed it 3-4 times in a row before moving to the rest of the CD. Just talking about it makes me think I'll have to give it a spin much sooner rather than later.

Edited by mikelz777

Chick told me a few years after his time with Stan that he thought of himself then as filling the role of Stan's "keeper" (as in "minder"). Clearly a daunting task, and if someone wasn't doing or trying to do it, chaos could ensue, Likewise, perhaps, when I asked Gary Burton in an interview (the Chick remark was just conversation) how he'd learned to be so good (apparently) at taking care of business across the board, he said ironically that he owed it all to Stan, that he'd learned from working with Stan to do everything just the opposite of what he'd seen and experienced there. As I may have said before here, Stan somehow ran across or was told about that remark and at least two years later brought it up when we ran across each other at a club, emphasizing how deeply hurt he was by it. IIRC Jim McNeely was within range when Stan said this, and from the look on McNeely's face (which Stan couldn't see), it was fairly clear that he was now occupying the "keeper" role.

Guest Bill Barton

...And sorry friends, but I'm with Larry on Focus. Mickey One, too.

I saw Larry's comments on Focus but am I missing something on Mickey One? I used to have that one but got rid of it years ago as a generally forgettable, barely serviceable soundtrack. On the other hand, I respectfully disagree regarding Focus. Perhaps part of my love for this album hinges on nostalgia. Hearing "I'm Late, I'm Late" never fails to bring back fond memories of the wildly eccentric Al "Jazzbeaux" Collins in The Purple Grotto on WNEW-AM.

Edited by Bill Barton

I saw Larry's comments on Focus but am I missing something on Mickey One? I used to have that one but got rid of it years ago as a generally forgettable, barely serviceable soundtrack.

Exactly, although there was a little bit of From The People Who Brought You Focus hype about it for a quick minute...

I saw Larry's comments on Focus but am I missing something on Mickey One? I used to have that one but got rid of it years ago as a generally forgettable, barely serviceable soundtrack.

Exactly, although there was a little bit of From The People Who Brought You Focus hype about it for a quick minute...

Maybe I'm in the minority but I perfer Mickey one over Focus. There's something fresher about the arrangements and it not so lush-sounding as Focus tends to get. I have no plans of dispensing my copy of Focus because maybe it'll click later, but the clear favorite out of these two for me is Mickey One.

Edited by Holy Ghost

Getz has made so many many albums that I like a great deal, it is an impossible task to select just one or two favorites.

I decided to say a few words about the Getz albums based upon the pianist in his group. Stan made 8 albums with Kenny Barron on piano. I find Barron to be the ideal partner for Getz and like all 8 albums they did together very much. Lou Levy also was a fine match for Stan, and all the things they recorded together are also among my favorites. John Williams also recorded a number of times with Stan and all those albums are things I would not want to be without.

Finally, the Getz sessions with Al Haig, with Jan Johansnsson, and with Jimmy Rowles also deserve special attention.