Stan Getz - Your Favorite Albums

Guest bluenote82

I'm currently really enjoying the early Prestige sides and my French CD of "The Master". I didn't

know about this West Coast Sessions set, just ordered a copy. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

You'll love those, I'm sure!

I only just got the early Prestige CDs (mentioned in another thread), but the Roost set, the West Coast set, the Clarke/Boland, they're all among my favourites. The Dizzy jams never quite did it for me, though (not even the one with Rollins/Stitt, it's ok, but...)

But my later Getz is still rather thing, I have "People Time" by now, one of the two Anniversary/Serenity (always mixing the titles up, which keeps me from buying the missing one, don't want to end up with two of the same), the Rowles Peacocks, Poetry with Dailey - most of these are great, too, but I generally prefer early Getz.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

so sweet rain is not a favorite of most people?

my cent on captain marvel is that airto is annoying.

For me, Sweet Rain ranks up there. And I also agree with all of the folks who have cited the latter-day recordings with Kenny Barron.

My take on Captain Marvel is decidedly different than yours. Airto is one of the reasons I like it. However, I wouldn't say that it is among my top favorite Getz sessions.

well i would probably characterize airto as annoying on every single album he is on where he plays percussion rather than drums. i like him as a drummer but find him an intrusive percussionist. just because you can play a water buffalo's jawbone doesn't mean it makes "bitches brew" sound better.

Sweet Rain is probably 5 or so on my list.

Anyone ever compare The Penguin Guide to Jazz's 1st edition to the 4th and later editions? "Bland but occasionally beautiful, this was one of the more willowy of Get'z quartets, with Corea the probable culprit and Carter failing to save the situation..." to "This was an excellent quartet and the youthful Corea proved to be a sympathic and encouraging partner for the cantankerous leader...and Carter and Tate have the measure of the situation."

well i would probably characterize airto as annoying on every single album he is on where he plays percussion rather than drums. i like him as a drummer but find him an intrusive percussionist. just because you can play a water buffalo's jawbone doesn't mean it makes "bitches brew" sound better.

:)

I love Airto as a trap drummer and a percussionist, as a band leader. . . .The man just is a force of nature.

Guest Bill Barton

When I heard Airto In performance with his own group a few years ago he did an unaccompanied pandeiro solo that was amazing. Yes, "force of nature" is a very good description.

One of my favorites, sadly not in print in the U.S. now, is "The Soft Swing," though it may be available in MP3 form. Unbelievably relaxed and lyrical, and Stan, while typically lyrical of course, wasn't always that rhythmically relaxed IMO. I'm also very fond of "Hamp and Getz," a very excited and exciting record all around. A celebrated one that I find a bit hard to take is "Focus." Have no problem with Sauter's writing for strings; it's that Stan was into his "moo-ing"/"oy-vey" bag at the time.

This reminds me of something that happened when I worked at B&N. I often played my favorite jazz cds over the in-store play (even though it was technically forbidden). One morning, I was playing a Stan Getz album (possibly one of this collaborations with Bill Evans) and this old Jewish man came back to the music department. He asked, "What is this?" and I told him. He said, "Getz? Really? Usually he's got too much schmaltz for me!"

I have a TON of Getz. He's far and away one of my all-time favs on tenor (even Trane said of Getz that "we'd all sound like that if we could"). It's very, very hard for me to choose my favorites. I have so many, and from so many different periods of his career. "The Steamer" and "West Coast Jazz" two big favorites. The ones I hear the MOST would be "Jazz Samba" and "Getz/Gilberto" because my in-laws own them and they play them EVERY week when we eat over there on Sundays.

• 3 years later...

My favorite Stan Getz albums are:

1) Whatever is now available to cover his work in 1950-52 with Jimmy Raney, Tommy Potter, Roy Haynes and Al Haig or Horace Silver. (I have this on vinyl).

2) East of the Sun/West Coast Sessions (Verve). 1955-56 sessions with Lou Levy, Leroy Vinnegar, Conte Candoli and Shelly Manne or Stan Levey.

3) Stan Getz and J. J. Johnson at the Opera House (Verve). 1957 session with the Oscar Peterson trio and Connie Kay in which everyone blows up a storm!

A Jimmy Raney date that was reissued as Early Getz is outstanding (the other side on the vinyl edition had a small group out of Woody's band). Raney wrote some excellent originals like Motion, Signal, and Lee, and there's a memorable Round Midnight. Hall Overton, Red Mitchell, and Frank Isola (I think) are the rhythm section. Getz-Raney got a great blend. The live stuff is better known, though. Give this one a listen.

From later periods I like Pure Getz. The series from the Montmarte with Kenny Barron et. al. (Serenity, Anniversary) are perfection. People Time is great, as is The Master, with Albert Dailey. And let's not omit The Peacocks (actually Jimmy Rowles' date).

My favorite Getz recording currently is the wrong track on the Hippo box. I can not believe these creeps ask us to live with an mp3 as a correction on a premium price set. I have purchased a number of their products and have stopped there. The lame Coltrane sets do not encourage more spending.

If I can send out corrected discs and print material, why can't these conglomerates?