Shaving

To free up time in the morning (out the door by 6:45) I usually shave before bed.

Now there's an aspect to this we haven't discussed yet. I also shave at night before going to bed. I figure it's more important to have a close shave when I'm snugglin' up to Mrs. Moose than when I go to work...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To free upĀ  time in the morning (out the door by 6:45) I usually shave before bed.

Now there's an aspect to this we haven't discussed yet. I also shave at night before going to bed. I figure it's more important to have a close shave when I'm snugglin' up to Mrs. Moose than when I go to work...

I can relate, Moose. Mrs. jmjk is always the first to say, "you need a shave!", while the folks at work don't care.

My Anglo-Scots genes have given me the option of shaving every other day with little physical consequence, so unless I'm meeting a customer or teaching a new class, my appearance on the job is not a concern. Shaving at night is a win-win for all, even if it does grow a bit overnight!

I use an electric razor if I'm motivated to keep clean daily

A warning here, Jim. This will hardly endear you to the Metrosexual crowd. :P Just a friendly warning... :lol:

What the hell is this "metrosexual" stuff? I strted reading that thread but couldn't figure it out!

and check this out!

Why Do GreatRazors.com Razor Blades

Last Longer?

All of the razors we sell are Cryogenically Tempered (frozen) down to -300 F to improve the strength & durability of the blade. Our Cryogenic Tempering Process makes our razors the longest lasting razors you can buy. Whatever brand you are using now, you will see what a difference our process makes in shave quality and life. They actually shave even better than what you are using now. Customers with light beards report using the same cartridge for 7 months. Everyone's hair is different, so your results will vary. Multiply the number of shaves you get now with your normal razor times 4. This is how long our razors should last, Guaranteed! GreatRazors cost about the same as what you would pay at your local grocery store. Since GreatRazors last so long, buying fewer blades will save you 60%.

what do you think of dem apples?

What the hell is this "metrosexual" stuff? I started reading that thread but couldn't figure it out!

Jim, it takes a while to figure it out, but isn'tall that difficult: you're a metrosexual if you:

- live in the city

- dress sharp

- try to look as sharp

- use cosmetics a real macho would throw into the trash can

- go shopping on a regular basis to keep his image in style

- looks after his lifestyle

etc.etc.

judging from your avatar, cosmetics and shaving gear are not regular features in your bathroom, so it's no wonder you can't relate to this ...

;)

Oh, well after having read all your friendly recollections, I took the plunge and got me a Mach 3 today. F**king expensive! I paid like 10 $ for the thing itself, and about 17 $ for 8 blades!!! Hell, I could have gotten a CD for that despite our usual ridiculously high Swiss CD prices...

To answer the other questions:

- manual (and only that)

- before taking a shower

- daily (actually, not really, but I would sure like to... no metrosomething either)

- up, down, left, right

- alcoholic and non-alcoholic lotions (depending on my morning mood...)

ubu

Here's what I use for skin care, the smell is called Wild Utah ;) :

Wildutah.jpg

I use their pre-shave lotion which is meant for manual shave, but I use a probably twenty year old electric shaver that simply won't give up, replaced the blades once, that's it. If I shave manual I look like a freshly skinned lobster. Use their tonic after shaving, smells very nice. That's for the face, that is.

• 1 month later...

Organissimo Consumer Report: The Schick Quattro four blade razor.

After using my trusty Gillette Mach3 for almost 5 years, I recently picked up a Schick Quattro on a whim at the local supermarket for $7.99. For that price you get the razor itself and two blades plus this really bulky contraption that holds the thing.

I used the razor for the first time tonight. It took a minute to get used to it since it is quite a bit heavier than the Mach3 but with the first swipe I knew I had found a new love! My skin is notoriously easy to cut and I have to be very careful when I shave. I shaved my entire face (a five day growth) with no cuts at all.

This is a smooth as I've ever felt my face since I hit puberty! :) It's pretty amazing. I don't know how long the catridges will last and they are about $2 a piece, making them quite a bit more expensive than the Mach3 blades, but I can't see myself going back at this point.

Four blades really does make a difference!

Mug and brush do the job for me- and I have both a Mach 3 and an older Atra. The Mach 3 handles better. I change the oil regularly and they both run fine.

(rim shot)

...but seriously folks, If you haven't tried the mug and brush routine, do so. For those of us who are heavy in the five O'clock shadow department it's almost the best and easiest on the epidermis. The shaving in the shower routine surpasses it and you get used to shaving by feel without a mirror pretty quickly.

I don't know how long the catridges will last and they are about $2 a piece, making them quite a bit more expensive than the Mach3 blades, but I can't see myself going back at this point.

Hell! I pay some 10 to 11 $ for 4 Mach3 blades here! So it's not only CDs on which they cheat us!

ubu

i understand several of the previously mentioned companies have gotten together and started one company called:

REMSCHETTE.

They will be introducing a new blade made from a previously unknown metal taken from a large Meteorite. It has 5 blades, each blade is angled differently than the one before giving the user a better shave with only one stroke. Each blade will last approx. 6 months (for the average user, shaving 6 days a week).

Suggested MRP, will be $49.99.

At the risk of sounding like a real skinflint (partially true I guess) I'm going to own up to still using disposable single blade Bics with Gillette foam. I won't admit to how long I can make a Bic last but I don't buy that many. On the other hand I can get pretty bristly by the evening.

I've come off 4 months of chemo therapy during which I lost most of my hair ---everywhere. I didn't have to shave in all that time. Now that the effects of the treatments are wearing off, I'm starting to sprout chin whiskers and even re-growing my moustache. I've been using the Mach 3 for the past couple years and have resumed using it. However I'll soon be starting radiation and they tell me I can't shave with a manual razor so looks like I'll be in the market for an electric job soon!

Any suggestions on a descent electric razor anyone? Not looking for anything exotic as after the radiation is through, I hope I can go back to the Gillette product.

Edited by Out2Lunch

I'm happy with the Braun Synchro electric razor I bought after the one I had before broke down and had me reporting this on the forum to start this thread. It does the job fast and clean. It's the no-frill model not the self-cleaning top of the range one.

Out2Lunch, my heart goes to you. Hope you will be back at manual shaving very soon!