Next batch of Conns (Fall 2004) - ???????

Rooster_Ties

Couple comments:

Another title in that series from Japan that included the Quebec FROM HACKENSACK... title was Tommy Flanagan LONELY TOWN (actually originally released on UA, from 1959 - a program of all Leonard Bernstein compositions and a quiet gem).

Many fine, fine requests have been logged already - so I'll just say my requests for Conns would be 1) "more old stuff," the 10" material on BN (ART HODES, people, ART HODES), and 2) a return of the West Coast Classics series (okay, not Conns, but close!).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

conns:

booker ervin.............unissued session

Who's on that unissued Booker Ervin session??? :excited:

I would take a gamble and assume that he means "Back From the Gig" which was of course coupled with Horace Parlan's Happy Frame of Mind. I don't think think it's ever been issued on cd, even overseas. If this is so, I am furthering my campaign for the Booker BN/PJ Select!!!

As far as McCoy Tyner goes, isn't there a Complete BN Mosaic scheduled for 2004? A McCoy Conn would interfere with that release I should think.

Well, Dance With Death with an unissued session or two is a near given, but what about these? Have they ever been reissued domestically on cd?

Here to Stay [unissued] / Freddie Hubbard

Freddie Hubbard (tp) Wayne Shorter (ts) Cedar Walton (p) Reggie Workman (B) Philly Joe Jones (d)

Lots more Freddie coming next year, howz 'bout we top the year off with this one?

High Frequency [unissued] / Jackie McLean

Jackie McLean (as) Larry Willis (p) Don Moore (B) Jack DeJohnette (d)

Oh and cancel that last post...though I still would rather see a Booker Select...

Booker Ervin [unissued]

Woody Shaw (tp) Booker Ervin (ts) Kenny Barron (p) Jan Arnet (B) Billy Higgins (d)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 24, 1968

Gichi

Den Tex

In a Capricornian Way

Lynn's Tune

ps. B) = bass

Kind of cute innit!!! B)

Edited by Jazzdog

I'd vote for Swinging Swede's list anytime! Okay Cuscuna, whatya waiting for???

I go along with Mike C's suggestion of issuing those Blue Mitchell sessions as a rare groove.

Jackie Mclean's "Demon Dance" badly needs some remastering. It would be a terrific RVG. Awesome date!

Booker Ervin, "Back from the Gig" another great Conn.

Add another Andrew Hill as well.

Man, I'd empty out my pockets again.

BTW, nice to see you resurrect that avatar, Rooster. Gettin me excited!! ;)

Edited by connoisseur series500

I second (or fourth?) AfricaBrass's suggestion of more early BN stuff, like the 10" series that went out of print way too fast.

A hearty :tup to Swinging Swede's list (love the Quebec cover!)----

And yes to JSngry's Chico Hamilton suggestion. Actually, I too would like the whole West Coast Jazz series to be revived, but I know it ain't gonna happen in this timeline.

Of course I like the idea about the unrelased Jimmy Smith session! :D Never heard of that one. I think 6 Views Of The Blues was a nice surpise. And even though there's a lot of Smith, unreleased stuff should be the highest priority for that man. Especially the Blue Note stuff....

Also...."On Broadway" by Reuben Wilson...I can't believe that's not been reissued...even in Japan to my knowledge.

Jazzdog Posted: Oct 20 2003, 08:23 PM   

Well, Dance With Death with an unissued session or two is a near given, but what about these? Have they ever been reissued domestically on cd?

Here to Stay [unissued] / Freddie Hubbard

Freddie Hubbard (tp) Wayne Shorter (ts) Cedar Walton (p) Reggie Workman ( Philly Joe Jones (d)

HERE TO STAY was out in the US in the late 80's and briefly reappered as part of the Collectors' Choice series. But it is WAY overdue for another issue, superb recording...RVG, RVG, RVG...

Edited by DrJ

Still being a Johnny one note here.....but I'm stickin' with Harold Land's "Take Aim". Okay, so it's a little short (37 min) but it still swings hard and is a helluva lot better sonically than "The Flip" was -- and they did a decent job cleaning that one up. Well, if they're now putting out stuff like 'Bossa Nova Warmmushannal', a title that doesn't seem to get anyone's juices flowing, I have to believe that this Cuscuna-produced one will soon find its way to the front burner. :huh:

Oh and cancel that last post...though I still would rather see a Booker Select...

Booker Ervin

Woody Shaw (tp) Booker Ervin (ts) Kenny Barron (p) Jan Arnet (bass) Billy Higgins (d)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 24, 1968

Gichi

Den Tex

In a Capricornian Way

Lynn's Tune

That session indeed was on the twofer LP "Back From the Gig" (BN-LA488-H2) in 1976 together with the Parlan "Happy Frame of Mind".

As all Booker Ervin Blue Note and Pacific Jazz dates except for "Gig" were out as Conns, I guess a Select is not in sight - and there isn't enough material for it - two Blue Notes and two Pacific Jazz dates as a leader.

Edited by mikeweil

At the risk of repeating myself from another thread, how about some of the earlyl BN stuff. BTW, the Erroll Garner is an excellent suggestion. There's a lot from the early years (40s) and early 50s that needs to be Conned.

Not to belabor the point (although I haven't done it in a while), how about a Three Sounds Conn, if a Select won't be forthcoming for awhile.

When Conns come out, I'd like them to reflect all the kinds of music that BN has reissued in its history. I'd say the most recent set was weighted towards later years.

I too would like to see more early BN 5000 series stuff and more Pacific Jazz stuff. Those CDs from Conn 10" series and the West Coast Classics series are some of my most cherished CDs. I also have some hot jazz CDs released in Toshiba's Blue Note Classics series, and they are very very nice. I for one think that the recent releases have been a bit one-sided -- too much of 1960s stuff and not enough else.

Well, that's odd that it was in the first series because I bought all twelve of the first series in order to have the obis to send in for the watch, and I never ever bought that title because I had it in the Mosaic box and was quite happy to have it there. . . .

But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong!