Miles

7/4

He was playing his ass off!

No kidding ! Those Kix tracks on 'We Want Miles' are pretty impressive by any standard and Miles was definitely 'up for it'. Teo also did a great job on that particular 2LP set capturing the dynamism.

Also, that bit in Chris's interview about Miles listening to the band from the wings with great concentration certainly jibes with my experience of seeing him live at close quarters. Even very late in his career.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what made “Bitches Brew,” but they need guidance: Mingus needs guidance; Omette needs guidance; nobody’s going to tell them what to do because then they might call them white bastards. They have to tell Mingus what to do, otherwise he’ll do the same shit all over again, and they have to tell Omette that he can not play the trumpet and violin.

:lol:

I was 32 years old when he died.

Miles was the reason I became a jazz-fan. The first jazz-record I ever heard (or better let´s say: "I liked") was one of his Prestige-recordings and this was the start of a live-long love affair with jazz. Whatever I´d listen to...from bop to 60´s avant-garde and some of the electric-stuff, Miles always was the centre of everything.

I was lucky I saw him quite often, even though I would have preferred to see him live with one of his quintets from the 50´s or 60´s .

Thanks, Marcello, I have no recollection of giving these guys permission. Is this, perhaps, a reincarnation of A Miles Davis Reader? I did give permission to Bill Kirchner for that compilation. Guess I'll look into this and see if I'm going senile. :)

The answer is YES, I'm going senile. I found that out today when a box containing five copies of Miles On Miles arrived by mail, along with a "thank you" for granting permission. Is my face red? You betcha, as they say in the Alaska trailer parks.

MilesonMiles.jpg

I was at the Village Vanguard seeing Johnny Griffin, when Griffin announced the news to the audience and there was an audible gasp!

Do you remember what he said? IIRC it was pretty callous.

I remember it being very respectful - I think a callous comment would have elicited a very negative response from the audience and I do not remember any such response.

• 11 months later...

Well, I was searching for some more discussion on The Complete "In a Silent Way" Session, my latest Miles favorite, and stumbled across this thread, noting the anniversary of Miles death...which happens to be TODAY....1 more year. And upon reading some of the threads it does kind of boggle the mind that the same guy who did Birth of Cool is also responsible for In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew.

I was lucky enuff to catch Miles many times before he passed, starting with the comeback appearance at avery fisher, some of which is also on We Want Miles. Any fan who simply dismisses this period of miles playing is certainly missing out on alot of great Music. Even just the sidemen, Bill Evans, kenny Garrett, Mike Stern, bob Berg, John Scofield, Joey D, and more, played there asses off trying to impress the master, esp kenny g. The man could whip the crowd into a frenzy with one of his solos!!(still can, BTW). RIP, Miles, we loved you madly!!!(still do!!!)

I was lucky enuff to catch Miles many times before he passed, starting with the comeback appearance at avery fisher, some of which is also on We Want Miles. Any fan who simply dismisses this period of miles playing is certainly missing out on alot of great Music. Even just the sidemen, Bill Evans, kenny Garrett, Mike Stern, bob Berg, John Scofield, Joey D, and more, played there asses off trying to impress the master, esp kenny g. The man could whip the crowd into a frenzy with one of his solos!!(still can, BTW). RIP, Miles, we loved you madly!!!(still do!!!)

Welcome to the board, chef!

Nice post, but I'd be careful about referring to Kenny Garrett as "kenny g". You know how those jazz guys are..... ;)

Much love for Miles, always!

• 5 months later...

This seems like a good place as any to ask my question: Does anyone know of a good article, or a good description in a book (outside of Szwed & Carr), about Miles Davis father, Dr. Miles Henry Davis? I'm doing some research on Miles, and I would like more information on Dr. Davis, he seems like a very interesting man.