Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland

B. Goren.

Three of their CDs where reissued this week:

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland & Compnay: The Golden Eight-Encore! 1733822.jpg

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland Big Band: At Her Majesty's Pleasure 1733825.jpg

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland Big Band: Complete Live Recordings At Ronnie Scott's 1733827.jpg

All very welcome! :tup

Hope they will be better distributed than the previous (limited editions) on Rearwind!

In the past for LPs I've always ordered direct 'from the horse's mouth' in Italy via the Rearward/Schema website and stuff has arrived fine. Must pick up this 'Encore' - at first I thought it was just a reissue of the Blue Note 'Golden Eight' but I see it is new material. :excited:

Hope they will be better distributed than the previous (limited editions) on Rearwind!

In the past for LPs I've always ordered direct 'from the horse's mouth' in Italy via the Rearward/Schema website and stuff has arrived fine. Must pick up this 'Encore' - at first I thought it was just a reissue of the Blue Note 'Golden Eight' but I see it is new material. :excited:

So you're one of the few that would not be exited about a reissue of the original "Golden Eight"?

• 2 weeks later...

I had that as soon as it was available. 'Blowing The Cowebs' or the like was its title. The most unpratical cd edition ever, kind of a long black hard-paper box...

I am really happy for this 'Golden Eight Encore'; always liked the original Blue Note album, CBB's first if I'm not wrong. Maybe these are recordings from the early years of the band.

Edit:

"All the tracks, taken from the second of the May 1961 Golden Eight recording sessions, are now released for the first time, with liner notes by Mike HennesseyThis reissue is great news for the jazz-loving community. The multi-national Golden Eight ensemble assembled by Gigi Campi featured Kenny Clarke and Jimmy Woode (USA), Francy Boland and Chris Kellens (Belgium), Dusko Gojkovic (Yugoslavia), Raymond Droz (Switzerland), Derek Humble (UK) and Karl Drevo (Austria). And it was the forerunner of the legendary Clarke-Boland Big Band. Seven of the eleven pieces in the album are distinctive originals by Boland, the remaining four tracks being devoted to classic standards.The album opens with You Dig It, a brisk, marching blues by Boland with sprightly solos by Dusko Gojkovic, Derek Humble (in Parkerian mode), Karl Drevo and Kenny Clarke. There follows the Arthur Schwarz/Howard Dietz ballad, Alone Together, written in 1932 for the musical, Flying Colors. It is taken at a lively tempo and has Raymond Droz playing the melody on alto horn, followed by solos from Boland, Drevo, Humble and Woode."

Good enough for me. Hennessey is the writer of the fine, only Kenny Clarke biography 'Clook', an enjoyable jazz bio long OOP I had some years ago.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

• 1 year later...

Just realized this: it seems one track from The Golden Eight - Encore was after all previously well-known and circulated: I'm quite sure that "A Ball for Othello" is the very same cut that was on Now Hear Our Meanin'!

Exactly! It was also included in some 2 LP drummers anthology on French CBS. But it was recorded at the Golden Eight sessions.

Just realized this: it seems one track from The Golden Eight - Encore was after all previously well-known and circulated: I'm quite sure that "A Ball for Othello" is the very same cut that was on Now Hear Our Meanin'!

Exactly! It was also included in some 2 LP drummers anthology on French CBS. But it was recorded at the Golden Eight sessions.

If the 2010 reissue is correct, it's from the Encore session - to nitpick a bit... I realize you write "sessions", but it was common knowledge that it is possibly from the "Golden 8" session, while now it seems to be from the "Golden Eight - Encore" sessions done a few days later (each of them done in two days in May 21, the "Encore" on May 23 and 24) ... but if it was was on a French CBS anthology, why was the previously available information sketchy and just guesswork? That does include Frohne's CD-rom discography attached to Hennessey's Klook biography (of which I have the german edition only, but it's still nice!)

Edited by king ubu

I guess not even Hennessey knew everything still lingering in the Campi vaults ...

Yes! The whole discography is pretty messy, with some sessions from unknown dates etc.

And the early Rearward releases (Calypso Blues, Sahib Shihab and All Those Cats, Griff'n'Bags) didn't exactly help... nor did their decision to change to actual albums and re-duplicate things again!

• 3 months later...

Just got the Encore! The other day and it's indeed a very good session on first listeng. Since it was recorded only 5 days after the first Golden Eight in may 1961, I was however a bit surprised that the CD is in mono.

Any thoughts on that? The original GE is in stereo and I guess was recorded in the same studio in Cologne, Germany.

The sound quality is fine but stereo would be nice - especially for a 1961 recording.

Yes, mono. My guess was that perhaps the stereo tapes did not survive. And there's a chance that it may have been recorded in a mono-only studio, that would certainly seem possible to me at that time. . . . I don't know, it would be very nice to have some specific knowledge.