Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From what I've heard, these are the same remixes that appeared on the 1993 release, just with higher resolution mastering. The 93 remixes were flat and distant sounding compared to the original LP release. If you already have these on cd there is no reason to upgrade. If you want the best sound, go vinyl on this.

A crazy deal on Rhino Led Zeppelin 10 miniLP cd set. I believe this is a Japanese remastering job, which they retail for $174. Price slashed to $87.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/product/led-zeppelin-definitive-collection-mini-lp-replica-boxset?xpcid=CROZ&cmpid=CROZEP%3E%20&cmpid=CROZEP

:crazy:

This thread is taking its toll on my wallet. I've had some less than stellar experiences with Rhino and their shipping. Three weeks seems to be the norm with them so add on another three weeks because this is a "special order" and maybe this will be here for spring.

I've just read some of the reviews on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Collection-Mini-LP-Replica/product-reviews/B001FSDP08/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

and decided to order it. Most people who posted there, say that this is indeed a new remastering, and betters the 1994 cds. I don't have those cds to compare, so I'll have to gauge the quality of these miniLPs on their own merit. Free shipping didn't hurt either!

My Amazon UK order is now 24 days & counting.

Mine is up to 30 days. huh.gif

Wow. I ordered the Masters of Cinema dual-format (BD and DVD) version of the reconstructed METROPOLIS from them on January 2. It took less than a week for it to make its way from the UK to Texas. Granted, it was probably a considerably smaller package than some of the ones being discussed here, and I'm still waiting on a much larger order of MoC DVDs I ordered directly from Eureka Entertainment during the recent sale they had.

Wow. I ordered the Masters of Cinema dual-format (BD and DVD) version of the reconstructed METROPOLIS from them on January 2. It took less than a week for it to make its way from the UK to Texas. Granted, it was probably a considerably smaller package than some of the ones being discussed here, and I'm still waiting on a much larger order of MoC DVDs I ordered directly from Eureka Entertainment during the recent sale they had.

It's one CD. I believe it's lost. They have no tracking system.

Most people who posted there, say that this is indeed a new remastering, and betters the 1994 cds.

It's new mastering, but it's the same remixing. The problem is the remixing. The mix on the original LPs was much punchier and dynamic. The new mixes sound distant and weak. I think it's the use of digital reverbs as opposed to wire or acoustic reverbs and tape slaps. The new box will certainly sound cleaner, but noise wasn't the problem. The original mixes aren't available on cd so unless you go with vinyl, you don't have any choice.

Edited by Bigshot

Interesting to see some (not all) Newbury orders are now "fulfilled by Amazon"! As a member of Amazon Prime, I now save $3 on each disc ordered from Newbury

It's one CD. I believe it's lost. They have no tracking system.

Got my December 13th Amazon UK order (from a Marketplace seller in France) today, a month and a day after it was shipped. So once again, hope springs eternal. rolleyes.gif

Interesting to see some (not all) Newbury orders are now "fulfilled by Amazon"! As a member of Amazon Prime, I now save $3 on each disc ordered from Newbury

It's a good deal, Amazon is finding ways not to be undercut by its marketplace sellers. They also pay for shipping on book trade-ins.

For classical fans, 60 CD Living Stereo box set....

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Stereo-60-Collection-Box/dp/B003UCPEJ2/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=5174&s=music

Classic Reined and Munch. Uses the most recent SACD remasters.

A remarkable collection, near every record is a masterpiece! I would be on this box like fly on honey, if these were SACDs.

From what I've heard, these are the same remixes that appeared on the 1993 release, just with higher resolution mastering. The 93 remixes were flat and distant sounding compared to the original LP release. If you already have these on cd there is no reason to upgrade. If you want the best sound, go vinyl on this.

Overall, the sound is brighter than what it should sound like.

A remarkable collection, near every record is a masterpiece! I would be on this box like fly on honey, if these were SACDs.

I have a few of the SACDs, and I couldn't discern any real difference between the SACD layer and the standard rebook CD layer. The mastering is exactly the same.

I have a few of the SACDs, and I couldn't discern any real difference between the SACD layer and the standard rebook CD layer. The mastering is exactly the same.

So do I, and the sonic difference between the sacd and cd is quite audible to my ears. The mastering IS the same, as it is on all hybrid sacds, but the dsd-encoded master-tapes are downsampled to 16/44.1 for the cd layer, whereas the sacd layer presents them au naturel.

I'm still amazed how these 60 cds can be had for $2 apiece. Some of these records are landmarks of recorded classical music.