Are there any box bargains currently available?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like we discussed those collections before and that the quality was inconsistent.

I got the Ramsey Lewis, and was not pleased, even at the price. It's really bad when you "upgrade" to the Real Gone Jazz sets, but that's what I did with the Lewis.

Edited by felser

• 2 weeks later...

Black Saint/ Soul Note sale at ImportCDs.

Prices look okay...but what do I know? ;-)

Amazon France has the Jimmy Lyons set for 16.47 euros & The Chico Hamilton one for 17.70 euros (once VAT removed) plus shipping (13 euros for both to Australia) - other sets not as cheap as these

Interestingly, the most recent batch appears to be more expensive than previous releases

Edited by romualdo

I went for the Muhal, Cyrille and Threadgill.

That Cyrille set is spectacular. The Ed Blackwell is also really good.

And the Richard Abrams set is terrific as well, so you should be very happy. I like the Air albums the most in the Threadgill box. The live set from Montreal sounds really great. I spent 100 dollars and got the Blackwell and Lacy Vol 2 sets from Grooves, Inc a couple months back. I'm pretty happy with both of them. The only Lacy album I 'm not crazy about is the 2 CD The Cry, Otherwise it's a great set.

They're pricing many from "the first run" (about 2 years ago) like that: see Alice Cooper, Linda Ronstadt, The Cars, Santana, Tim Buckley, Tower of Power, etc.