Steve Lacy

Late

What do you all think of Dutch Masters? I have too little Misha Mengelberg.

I've been listening to a lot of Lacy in the past week (and searching out threads on him, obviously). What a master.

Anyway, I happened to pick up Dutch Masters last weekend. It's really good. Basically, a "blowing session", head-solos-head type of thing, relaxed and very enjoyable. You can't go wrong with the band: Mengelberg, Lacy, George Lewis, Ernst Reyseger and Han Bennink. Two comps each by Lacy, Mengelberg and (of course) Monk. I haven't heard Change of Season or Regeneration, earlier records by similarly constituted bands, but Dutch Masters is a winner.

I'm curious about The Beat Suite. I could get a reasonably cheap copy, but I haven't seen a whole lot about it on the boards. Anybody have any thoughts...?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to Gil Evans & Ten the other day, and was struck by how fully formed Lacy already was by '57.

Me too. I just got it in SACD. It's a hybrid with the cd in stereo for the first time. Worthwhile even if you don't have an SACD player. (To be honest I barely hear any difference-- but my ears are shot from too many rock concerts and too much time on mixing stages.)

There's a new biography of Gil in which the author states that Evans took a huge chance giving such a new comer so much solo space. It sure paid off.

Finally opened up Monk at Town Hall only to realize Lacy isn't there; he shows up in the Monk Big Band at Lincoln Center in 1963. Has anyone heard the Monk Quartet of 1960 with Lacy in Monk's band?

Also, do any of you remember the Chicago Jazz Festival concert in the 1980's (?) when a Monk re-union Big Band played Hall Overton and Oliver Nelson's arrangements of Monk's music from the Lincoln Center AND Town Hall concerts? The buzz at the time, if I'm remembering clearly, was that Lacy didn't solo on the 1963 concert -- the recording features Thad Jones, Phil Woods, Charlie Rouse, Monk and Frankie Dunlap in solo roles.

Yet, Lacy's voice in the heads and occasional soloist-prompting ensemble riffs is clear and distinctly blended giving the music added character. He's up on Monk's phrasing, accent, swing, line.

I can't remember if he told me or if I heard the subject of him not soloing in 63 discussed on WBEZ (?) but I think he said he was glad he didn't because of nerves next to Rouse, Woods and Jones in that context.

In any case, the Chicago re-union bore a sense of righteousness for giving Lacy a chance to be heard soloing in those charts.

If anyone cares to set that straight, by all means.

Edited by blue lake

Andrew McKinnon posted this on rec.music.bluenote March 18, 2000 and the print out has been on my office wall ever since.

Steve Lacy, when asked by Derek Bailey to describe in 15 seconds the difference between composition and improvisation:

"In fifteen seconds the difference between composition and improvisation is that in composition you have all the time you want to decide what to say in fifteen seconds, while in improvisation you have fifteen seconds."

Of course this description came in at exactly 15 seconds long.

Also, do any of you remember the Chicago Jazz Festival concert in the 1980's (?) when a Monk re-union Big Band played Hall Overton and Oliver Nelson's arrangements of Monk's music from the Lincoln Center AND Town Hall concerts

No Oliver Nelson charts performed at Town Hall, Philharmonic Hall or the Chicago reunion. Thank God for that.

I do have a tape of the reunion.

Also, do any of you remember the Chicago Jazz Festival concert in the 1980's (?) when a Monk re-union Big Band played Hall Overton and Oliver Nelson's arrangements of Monk's music from the Lincoln Center AND Town Hall concerts

No Oliver Nelson charts performed at Town Hall, Philharmonic Hall or the Chicago reunion. Thank God for that.

I do have a tape of the reunion.

Not a fan of Oliver's???

I like Blinks as well.

I have 17 CDs with Lacy under his name (and a few more under Waldron's name with Lacy on them), and have been listening to them. Such beautiful playing. I was thinking of getting a couple more. Does anyone have an opinion on Vespers? The Rent?

A Lacy story, which I think I told before. I saw him at the Jazz Bakery in Los Angeles in 1998 (or maybe late 97). At the time, I was trying to reach Mal Waldron, because I had put together a Shirley Clarke retrospective and wanted a comment from Waldron on Clarke and "The Cool World." I went up to Lacy after the show (eminently approachable) and asked him how I might get ahold of Waldron. Lacy just rattled off Waldron's home phone number in Brussels. Such a nice guy.

Adam,

VESPERS is an outstanding cd, with a major contribution from Ricky Ford, and Tom Varner's french horn added to the Lacy sextet of the time - Lacy, Potts, Few, Aebi, Avenal and Betsch. I think that it is an "essential" Lacy recording - but be aware that Irene Aebi does sing translations of Blaga Dimitrova's poetry.

THE RENT is a very well-recorded live concert (2 sets on 2 discs) of Lacy's trio playing Lacy's compositions and Monk's "Shuffle Boil" - Steve only tackled the "easy" Monk compositions.

You will not regret either purchase.

I just got two more Lacys, The Beat Suite and The Cry. Both are quite good, and I'm especially fond of The Beat Suite. I'm definitely coming around to Aebi's voice (every tune on both records is based on her singing of poems), which has taken me some time.

(If nothing else, given Lacy's comments about her as his muse, and her role in his work of setting words to music, I have to imagine that his music would be a different and perhaps lesser thing without her.)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Shortly before he left Paris in 2002, Steve Lacy took part in the recording of the soundtrack of the film 'Sansa' directed by Siegfried. The film which I have not seen was released earlier this year in France. So was the soundtrack CD which seems to be a limited edition issue. It came out on the Naive label.

Steve Lacy plays on a couple of tracks. Other featured musicians are violonist Ivry Gitlis and trumpet player Erik Truffaz.

There is a website for this film:

http://www.vagabondages.net/

A good set to play after The Way is Blinks. Both live, and some overlap of tunes — for useful comparison. I can't think of any other horn player that plays eighth notes quite like Lacy. Even as far back as '54, his conception of "swinging" eighth notes was his own.

I have very few Lacy CDs but would love to hear more, these are great recommendations.

REFLECTIONS I love - some of the best Monk interpretations ever.

He's great with Herbie Nichols too - recently got a used copy of the disc that I think was under Mengelberg's name CHANGE OF SEASON: THE MUSIC OF HERBIE NICHOLS (Soul Note). As much as I like the Herbie Nichols Project (and I like them a LOT, especially their first disc LOVE IS PROXIMITY), I have to say this CD puts all of theirs in the dust, in large part due to Lacy's getting so far inside Nichols' head.

I recently scored a copy of the out of print Novus CD ANTHEM which is outstanding and has made me want to explore more from that particular configuration of musicians he was using around that time. All the Novus discs look really promising based on the AMG writeups at least.