Best jazz performance you never saw ...

mikeweil

I think I have to get me that CD: what is the issue with the most tunes on it, please? ;)

It was first issued by Circle on Lp with 3 cuts, then by Westwind with 4 cuts then by Circle on cd with 5 cuts. And it was recorded October 1978. The cd says Circle Records RKCD/3. My copy has a sticker saying "distributed by North Country Distributors 315 287-2852 email

northcountry@cadencebuilding.com."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 years later...

Mingus played Dallas, at SMU, in the fall of 1974, ny freshman yeat at NTSU. No publicity. NONE. Found out about it the day after from the (sadly) late Jim Lacefield, who just happened to be in Dallas the prior afternoon and overheard somebody mention it. He went straight over to SMU, and was one of, he said, about 50 people in the auditorium/

I was at that concert.

A double whammy, kind of: I scheduled a trip to New York in the spring of 1988 to go to Sweet Basil and hear Gil Evans, one of my heroes. He died about a week before the trip. And I didn't learn of this until I got back to Atlanta, but while I was in NYC, there was a memorial concert for Mr. Evans (at St. Patrick's?), with the Evans Orchestra, Cecil Taylor, and others.

I missed one of the Von Freeman-Ed Petersen tenor battles at the Green Mill because of a huuuge blizzard. This was probably 1999. I actually called and they said they would be open. But it kept snowing or something. At any rate, I didn't call a second time, and I headed over to the club through snowdrifts and such only to find the club was shut down.

I did see them battle it out at least on one other occasion, but I had three or more times to see the battle over the years around New Year's, but I lived further away and just couldn't be bothered. So that's a bit of a regret.

I also regret never going down to the old Velvet Lounge to see Fred Anderson in residence. I definitely should have, particularly that year that I lived in Hyde Park. But I just never did. Now I did see Vonski on several other occasions and Fred Anderson 2 or 3 times, so it could have been worse, but I definitely should have taken more opportunities to see them when I could have.

I was supposed to see David Fathead Newman at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago but he didn't make the gig, and he died roughly two or three weeks later. That was particularly disappointing, as I was going to bring my father-in-law, who was a fan of Fathead.

Edited by ejp626

I have only been in Chicago about 3 times and those times were in the late 90's and I am eternally grateful that I went to see Von Freeman twice and I was able to see Fred Anderson at The Velvet Lounge.

First solo by Von was in medium tempo and it was about 10 to 15 minutes and for whatever reason the memory of it being as brilliant an excursion on tenor as I have ever experienced live remains.

And on one trip was able to see Eight Bold Souls (in a blizzard so it might have been 1999)

I was also looking forward to seeing Don Pullen at Sweet Basil which would have been one of my first jazz show when we all found out he had passed away.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Ellington was in Houston in the summer of 1973, at the Fairmont iirc, for either a wone or two week engagement. We were in Texas City for a long weekend, visiting an uncle, I was 17, and the old man wouldn't let me take the car into Houston on my own, and all the adults were either too tired or too disinterested to go. Had to have an adult, because they served alcohol.

Had managed to finagle a trip to La Bastille to catch two sets of Kenny Burrell the summer before, but the Fairmont must've been in another bracket financially, because going in to see Duke was never really seriously considered.

Can't really blame anybody, all things considered, but....damn.

Ellington was in Houston in the summer of 1973, at the Fairmont iirc, for either a wone or two week engagement. We were in Texas City for a long weekend, visiting an uncle, I was 17, and the old man wouldn't let me take the car into Houston on my own, and all the adults were either too tired or too disinterested to go. Had to have an adult, because they served alcohol.

Had managed to finagle a trip to La Bastille to catch two sets of Kenny Burrell the summer before, but the Fairmont must've been in another bracket financially, because going in to see Duke was never really seriously considered.

Can't really blame anybody, all things considered, but....damn.

I remember hearing about that club, La Bastille. I was lucky to hear Duke that summer 1973 at Interlochen Music Camp. But I missed Ella with Tommy Flanagan at the Dallas Fairmont, not to mention any number of headliners at the Lark Club before my time like Lou Donaldson and Sonny Stitt.

Not quite jazz, though jazz musicians were involved.

51HRsS4RU-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A friend and myself were nuts about the whole Soft Machine/Henry Cow/Canterbury thing at university and would have made the trip from Reading for this one - I think it was Wyatt's first performance after his accident and tied in with the release of 'Rock Bottom'. Unfortunately it was still the university vacation and I was in Germany stacking shelves in the NAFFI to earn my pocket money. Remember reading about it in NME and being very green.

I've missed a few.

I was just getting Jazz when Stan Getz came into town in a duet with Kenny Barron (their Montmartre gigs from this tour were released on "People Time"). I wasn't into the Jazz scene enough then and had no idea that Getz was sick & would soon die. I also missed Art Blakey's last trip through Boston by about 4 months. I was looking for information about when he would be coming through town when I discovered he had died. The lack of the Internet made it tough to get Jazz news back then. It's not like it was reported on the Boston nightly news.

(Edited because I found the club's flyer) During a trip to the LA area in July of 1996, I went to the Club Brasserie in the Wyndham Bel Age Hotel that had Teddy Edwards on the bill. I went and had a blast. Absolute blast. Horace Tapscott was on the bill the week before and I was already in town but I had just arrived and was too tired to go. I figured I'd just catch him later. He was gone before I got the chance. Funny thing is, the week after I left, Red Holloway played there. I never got a chance to see Red either so there's two shows I would have gone to if I could have extended my trip.

Again as I was just getting into Jazz, Jimmy Smith came into town with Kenny Burrell on guitar and I think Stanley Turrentine on tenor. I wasn't into Jazz organ at that time so I blew it off. I've never seen Kenny Burrell to this day. He's never come back through town that I can recall.

I stupidly missed a great show because I wasn't that into vibes: McCoy Tyner & Bobby Hutcherson in a duo performance, I heard about it later that it was an incredible night.

One last one that will always haunt me: me & my buddy Rob had tickets to see Jaki Byard in a duet with Michael Marcus. We had great seats and were sitting right in front when the lights went out because of a car accident that wiped out the building's transformer. We were all standing around chatting with Jaki while waiting see if the lights would come back on but they cancelled the show for a couple of weeks. Jaki was murdered a short time later.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Horace Tapscott - good point. I missed a solo piano recital in Western Canada back in the mid-90s (low-key gig, really kicking myself for missing that one - a rare Canada tour) then about 5 years later I attended what was to be a benefit performance for him in LA. Turned out Horace died the day before and it ended up being his wake :( .

John Mayer Indo Jazz Fusions II - Got to the gig (local) in good time as they were setting up, then rushed back home to get an LP for him to sign. By the time I got back the gig had just started and the doors (a church) were locked - very, very frustrating as it sounded great. Mayer was killed in a car accident a year or so after that night..

Edited by sidewinder

It's pretty rare for international jazz artists to come to New Zealand (relatively small population and relatively isolated), so if you miss your chance you really miss out.

On that note, i really regret not going to see Ornette play in 2008. He was playing in a city on the opposite side of the country so it would have involved a bit of travel/accomodation etc but what the hell.

Also missed the Bad Plus in 2008 and Charles Lloyd in 2010. At the time i didn't care about the Bad Plus but now i'm a pretty big fan. I was overseas when Lloyd played but again at the time i wasn't that much of a fan. Now i am a fan and i wince a bit when i think about them having visited. Apparently they didn't get a very good turn out, which is not that encouraging.

Mark Murphy came here a few years ago to perform at the Bimhuis. My favourite national jazz pianist Rob van Bavel was going to accompany him with his trio. I had booked tickets but the day before the concert my friend cancelled since his father was on his death bed. Even though it was not my father, it felt not right going to the concert. The chance Mark Murphy will perform here again is slim.

Edited by page

I was going through some old club calendars that I saved from my traveling days and I found another one that I missed. In late October of 1996, I was in Goteborg, Sweden on a business trip and I bought tickets in advance to see Arne Domnerus in a septet with Bengt Hallberg on piano. I was so looking forward to going. Unfortunately, my customer made plans that night for us and I couldn't back out of it (not a good business decision). The worst thing was that the tickets were pretty expensive. Good thing my company ate the cost and not me.

On another business trip to Germany, I was in Berlin and Mal Waldron's trio was playing at a club. I went to go and got completely lost on the subway. Hours later I finally found it but didn't go in. It was late and I was beat. i should have gone.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Missed an AMM concert in Vancouver around 1994. Had tickets for a New Zealand based indie rock band called "bailter space" that same night whom I had scheduled to do an interview with for a little fanzine I was doing.

In hindsight I should have seen AMM as since I've only seen Eddie prevost perform a few times and never Keith Rowe or John Tilbury. Then again, the aforementioned New Zealand band never played vancouver again either!

Missed John Coltrane in London in the early 60s. I saw a poster for the concert the day after it took place.

I saw the poster for Nat Adderley's gig in Cardiff in the late seventies the day after. Missed Teddy Edwards like that, too.

All because I didn't go into Spillers on the right day.

MG

Missed John Coltrane in London in the early 60s. I saw a poster for the concert the day after it took place.

I saw the poster for Nat Adderley's gig in Cardiff in the late seventies the day after. Missed Teddy Edwards like that, too.

All because I didn't go into Spillers on the right day.

MG

Another thing for which the internet has proven to be a godsend. I get my schedules on line and rarely miss good shows.