Poor choices for record store names

I know this is a bit off the topic (but not too distant)

I remember a hairdresser here in Brisbane in the 70's called "HAIR-OSHIMA"

Their logo was a woman's head with an atomic mushroom cloud emerging from the top of it!!

Won the weekly "Golden Galah" award in our University mag

No matter how (dis)tasteful these names are, they invariably do achieve one major goal of any self-respecting publicity action: They get TALKED ABOUT and stick in one's (customer's?) mind. Mission accomplished.

Yeah, but I don't think it was a "mission" - just a desire to use English without sufficient knowledge of the language.

For apostrophe freaks, I'll just mention that there was an Italian brand of jeans at the time called JEAN'S WEST. :lol:

There is the other storied Minneapolis store, Treehouse Records, which was formerly known as "Oar Folkjokeopus." For reals.

Love the Electric Fetus, which we all refer to simply as "The 'Fetus". For better or worse. More worse, methinks.

"Folkjokeopus" - That's the title of a Roy Harper LP (1969) - probably took the name from the record

Edited by romualdo

I always found this one a bit curious: Electric Fetus

http://www.electricfetus.com/Home

The Electric Fetus was born in 1968 so it's a name that is reflective of its time. I've been to 2 of their 3 locations and they are pretty cool stores.

Speaking of signs of their times, I suppose it is not hard to see where the (stylistic) origins of the SICK WRECKORDS store in Frankfurt (Germany) lie either ...

There's a shop in Windhoek, Namibia, called 'American Imports'. But they have no American imports. WHole lot of South African imports, though :)

In Paris, there is, or was a few years ago, a record shop, with its own record label of the same name, called TAT Audio Visual! African stuff, of course.

Another record shop in Paris was Drame Afrique Tissus - partly a cloth merchant.

MG

I always found this one a bit curious: Electric Fetus

http://www.electricfetus.com/Home

The Electric Fetus was born in 1968 so it's a name that is reflective of its time. I've been to 2 of their 3 locations and they are pretty cool stores.

I stopped by one of the Minneapolis stores maybe 15 years ago. Figured the name was a function of the era ... and yeah, cool place.