• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple of new releases on Aum Fidelity:

AUM088.jpgAUM08990.jpg

I'm quite keen for the Farmers By Nature, but i'm going to go back and listen to the first two albums first to see if i need/want more. Always liked Gerald Cleaver but he's grown on me a lot in the last couple of years. Wouldn't mind the Shipp/Jones but like so many tempting new releases it comes under "if i had money to burn" for me.

The Farmers by Nature will be a shure shot for me. Really loved their previous album!

I'm on the fence at the moment. Touching on what Steve said i think they are an oddly hard group to warm to. I dug them at the time but pretty much never revisit the two previous albums on Aum... have been trying to revisit them recently and just find them strangely hard to get through. There's definitely something there, but it's definitely 'have to be in the right mood' type stuff for me. Wishlisted for now, i need for something to come out on Aum that i can't live without and then i might add Love and Ghosts to my order.

Funny how those things can differ so immensly. There's still tons of free/avantgarde stuff that (for now at least) I find hard to digest, but Farmers by Nature imediately hit me in the right spot when I first heard them. For some reason their interplay and use of rhythm conects with me on a very basic and instinctive level.

Yeah, totally. Mileages vary! And moods too... just not feeling FBN at the mo but i'm sure it'll come back to me.

Absolutely! Made my day colinmce, thanks for that great news. I'll be interested to see what difference IH-F makes on bass.

one of my favourite bands of recent years...can't wait

edit to add: just placed my order with Delmark's UK distributor - Yes!

Edited by mjazzg

John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble – Eternal Interlude (Sunnyside)
— With 18 piece ensemble, includes Tony Malaby, Ellery Eskelin, Jacob Garchik, Alan Ferber, Dave Ballou, Laurie Frink, Kermit Driscoll, Gary Versae, Matt Moran, Theo Bleckmann, a.o.

That one's been out for awhile, and it's great.

John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble – Eternal Interlude (Sunnyside)
— With 18 piece ensemble, includes Tony Malaby, Ellery Eskelin, Jacob Garchik, Alan Ferber, Dave Ballou, Laurie Frink, Kermit Driscoll, Gary Versae, Matt Moran, Theo Bleckmann, a.o.

That one's been out for awhile, and it's great.

Yes, I've liked all of the Hollenbeck large group recordings that I've heard. They're different than most other large groups.

Now playing:

Rob Mazurek Pulsar Quartet – Stellar Pulsations (Delmark)
— With Angelica Sanchez, Matthew Lux, John Herndon
61GRYEwV%2BAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Edited by alankin

Trost label & distribution releases for the rest of 2014:

Trost Records

TR120 CHRISTOF KURZMANN then and now 2LP
TR127 BRÖTZMANN / HAINO / O’ROURKE two city blues pt.1 CD
TR128 BRÖTZMANN / HAINO / O’ROURKE two city blues pt.2 2LP
TR132 SCHLIPPENBACH TRIO unreleased first recording 1972 / TBA CD
TR133 ZU & EUGENE ROBINSON LP

Trost Jukebox series
TR-JBX02 KURZMANN & VANDERMARK / KURZMANN & JERNBERG 7“

Cien Fuegos

CF011 SCHLIPPENBACH TRIO Pakistani Pomade LP
CFX05 EXTENDED VERSIONS same LP
CFX08 MITTAGSPAUSE same LP

The Thing

TTR002EP THE THING viking 7“
TTR003 THE THING & THURSTON MOORE LP/CD
TTR004 THE THING Garage LP

I bolded the good part. Nice to have PP back in print, but these LPs are overpriced as hell.

Eternal Interlude is literally one of my all time favourite albums, if not the favourite. It took me a few listens but when it hit i loved it so, so much that it almost turned me in to a raving lunatic at the time. I seriously considered burning a thousand copies and just distributing them in random peoples mail boxes. It had a profund effect on me, at that time in my life; i felt weirdly 'absolved' by it. YMMV! It stood up amazingly well to being thrashed but now i don't get quite the same high that i used to get from listening to it.

Got the new Farmers by Nature album a few days ago and gave it a few spins since. While I doubt this album will convince the people who were not feeling their previous release, I think this is again an amazing album. Their sound is just so organic and in control, it seems to me they really can just play whatever they want in that right moment, without losing each other. They almost seem like a sort of telepathic unity which give them the ability to improvise as if being one (if that makes any sense :D).

fca2e42c359a5888-webcoverhi.jpg90c1a1dbf1cdf225-IMG_2311.JPG

WORLD OF OBJECTS - Jeremiah Cymerman (cl, elec), Nate Wooley (tp), Evan Parker (ts, ss). 5049 Records CD.

I received my pre-order copy today and gave it a spin. I think it's fair to say you will likely either love it or hate it. I love it.

Parker, Wooley and Cymerman play with rapt intensity and even a certain fury. But this isn't a latter-day version of "Chirps" or "Three Blokes." Well, maybe it is, but presented in a high-voltage electronic ambience engineered by Cymerman, who is both a marvelous clarinetist and also a highly experienced sound technician. The three players for the most part float in, or emerge from, a thick, pulsing electronic sonic field. This is music for the USS Enterprise crashing through the wormhole, or the director's cut of "2001: A Space Odyssey." There are some moments that approach the usual acoustic environment (recorded at The Stone but you would probably not guess that from the disc alone), some moments of recuperation and equipoise, then one is plunged back into the maelstrom. Heady stuff --if you like it.

fca2e42c359a5888-webcoverhi.jpg90c1a1dbf1cdf225-IMG_2311.JPG

WORLD OF OBJECTS - Jeremiah Cymerman (cl, elec), Nate Wooley (tp), Evan Parker (ts, ss). 5049 Records CD.

I received my pre-order copy today and gave it a spin. I think it's fair to say you will likely either love it or hate it. I love it.

Parker, Wooley and Cymerman play with rapt intensity and even a certain fury. But this isn't a latter-day version of "Chirps" or "Three Blokes." Well, maybe it is, but presented in a high-voltage electronic ambience engineered by Cymerman, who is both a marvelous clarinetist and also a highly experienced sound technician. The three players for the most part float in, or emerge from, a thick, pulsing electronic sonic field. This is music for the USS Enterprise crashing through the wormhole, or the director's cut of "2001: A Space Odyssey." There are some moments that approach the usual acoustic environment (recorded at The Stone but you would probably not guess that from the disc alone), some moments of recuperation and equipoise, then one is plunged back into the maelstrom. Heady stuff --if you like it.

You *almost* have me wanting to make the 10:00 set on September 11th

Wow - 13 years from that day - Wow

Just found out about a new Wadada Leo Smith on TUM soon, 'Great Lakes Suite' w. Threadgill, Lindberg, DeJohnette. I don't think it's been posted here already?

http://www.tumrecords.com/041-2-the-great-lakes-suites

sounds interesting to say the least

(thanks to Justin V for posting it in the 'listening to' thread)

Edited by mjazzg

Just found out about a new Wadada Leo Smith on TUM soon, 'Great Lakes Suite' w. Threadgill, Lindberg, DeJohnette. I don't think it's been posted here already?

http://www.tumrecords.com/041-2-the-great-lakes-suites

sounds interesting to say the least

(thanks to Justin V for posting it in the 'listening to' thread)

The music sample on the website sounds terrific.....a MUST-HAVE, I reckon.

81s-jdm-jXL._SL1425_.jpg

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Giving it the first spin now. Fans of the previous albums will not be disappointed I suspect. Writing's as strong as previously and they swing the tunes hard

:tup I've mentioned before that although i'm a big vibes fan and really dig Adasiewicz as a sideman (his name on a record is always, always a good sign) i've struggled to summon enthusiasm to check out his albums as a leader (i don't know why!), but i've been listening to this a lot via Spotify and i've finally cracked it. Ordered this and the previous Sun Rooms album.