Early Hank Jones

Larry Kart

Picked up one of those European bootlegs (shame on me), this one ( on Phoenix) of mostly ‘50s Hank Jones trio recordings, the core of the album being the 1955 Savoy album he did with Wendell Marshall and Kenny Clarke, preceeded by a 1953 track with Mingus and Max Roach and a four-tune Granz date with Johnny Smith and Ray Brown and followed by two tracks from Elvin Jones'  “Elvin!” and one from a Charlie Smith Dawn album. I’m surprised by how different Jones sounded back then than he did for the most part later on — very two-handed and almost lushly chordal, with a lot of shifty, shimmering, near far-out harmonic inventiveness (that’s what makes the lushness “almost”), seldom boppish rhythmically or otherwise, more like a cross between Teddy Wilson and Nat Cole but more dense, with Tatum lurking in the background, though Jones' touch is not at all Tatum-like. The thinking involved in a good deal of Jones' work here is quite something — so many moving parts!

I feel similar about those particular recordings, but the trio with Wendell Marshall and Kenny Clarke always did move me some, and Larry's post surely makes me want to check out some of their recordings again (not sure I've ever heard the actual trio album in question, I have definitely have some recordings either with them backing someone or with varying line-ups).

Larry - I think I mentioned this to you once before - but both Hank and Tommy Flanagan have some early recordings which are way more under the influence of Nat Cole in terms of touch; like you (I think) I tend to prefer this side of their playing; it mighta been some weird Detroit transition, but you also hear it on the Verve where Hank plays with Bird. To me, however, the most magnificent thing is Hank's Savoy solo album which is only, AFIK, available on vinyl. (there is also a Hank Jones Capitol from around 1960 I think).

also, it was interesting but when I saw Jones in NYC play solo in the '70s he did a lot of Fats Waller.

Edited by AllenLowe

Nice butt but the music never engaged me.

I'd tend to agree 

I was surprised when I heard it, because it didn't sound like the Hank Jones I knew.  I haven't listened to it in many years; should pull it out.  (As an aside, I also remember really bad surface noise on the transfers - more like a Yazoo reissue.)

As for other '50's Hank Jones, I found some Savoy LP reissues not long ago, and really enjoyed them.  The Trio + Bobby Jaspar date is rewarding.

Larry - I think I mentioned this to you once before - but both Hank and Tommy Flanagan have some early recordings which are way more under the influence of Nat Cole in terms of touch; like you (I think) I tend to prefer this side of their playing; it mighta been some weird Detroit transition, but you also hear it on the Verve where Hank plays with Bird. To me, however, the most magnificent thing is Hank's Savoy solo album which is only, AFIK, available on vinyl. (there is also a Hank Jones Capitol from around 1960 I think).

also, it was interesting but when I saw Jones in NYC play solo in the '70s he did a lot of Fats Waller.

When I sent my friend Bill Kirchner a version of my post above about the Jones Trio dates, he mentioned a '47 Jones solo date (is that the same as the Savoy, Allen?***) that "is astounding in a Tatum-like way, but with Jones' own harmonic vocabulary.  Should be required listening for any pianist -- or anyone interested in harmony."

*** Nope, it's a Granz date for Clef, a 10 inch. 

Hank Jones Solo

Hank Jones (piano)

probably NYC, September-October, 1947
601 | 236 | 1965-1The Night We Called It A DayMercury 1131; Clef 112; Mercury MG 25022; Clef MGC 707
602 | 237 | 1964-1YesterdaysMercury 1130; Clef 113; Mercury MG 25022; Clef MGC 707
603 | 238 | 1966-1You're BlaseMercury 1131; Clef 113; Mercury MG 25022; Clef MGC 707
604 | 239 | 1963-1Tea For TwoMercury 1130; Clef 112; Mercury MG 25022; Clef MGC 707
605 | 240 | 1967-1Blues For Lady DayMercury 1132; Clef 114; Mercury MG 25022; Clef MGC 707
606 | 241 | 1968-1Blue Room-

Edited by Larry Kart

The 1956 solo LP is truly extraordinary -- Hank's greatest recording and one of the greatest solo piano recordings ever. It's that perfect. The 47 material is terrific too, but the shadow of Tatum is more present, while the 56 stuff has more swingers and has more bebop assimilated into the mix so the stylistic breadth is really beyond category -- ever modern. I think the Fresh Sound CD referenced by Jazzbo is the only time the '56 material has been issue on CD. The LP version that you most often see is a 1979 reissue called "Solo Piano" with an ugly cover. http://cdn.discogs.com/OiKQ5b9SIjnaJJ6Fn_vq6F8l68s=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-4517599-1367304007-3908.jpeg.jpg

I think the original title was "Have You Met Hank Jones"

Edited by Mark Stryker

The 1956 solo LP is truly extraordinary -- Hank's greatest recording and one of the greatest solo piano recordings ever. It's that perfect.

That's always been my "go to" recording (along with Bud's solo piano on Verve) for students to learn how to play solo at any tempo without a stride left hand.

Edited by Michael Weiss

Exactly. That's the one. :lol:

But that series - desite its awkward covers - was just great. I cannot recall having ever been disappointed with the ones I bought from that series untried, untested.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I tend to agree with Chuck that the Urbanity album did not engage me. The Savoy trio with wendell marshall and Kenny Clarke was far more to my taste.

But by and large, it was Hank's later recordings with more of a bop sensibility that I enjoyed the most.

Just read an interview from Jazz Journal with Kenny Barron.  He said that Hank jones and Tommy Flanagan were his major piano influences.

Back some decades ago I was at Bradley's in NYC to hear Tommy Flanagan. Had an opportunity to sit down with Tommy between sets. In our conversation, I asked him to what extent Teddy Wilson, Hank Jones and or Al Haig might have influenced his playing. He responded that yes Teddy Wilson and Hank Jones were influences, but not Al Haig.

Very fond memories of seeing Hank Jones in a trio along with George Mraz at Catalina Bar & Grill in LA in the late 1990s. Hank was kindness personified and got his best gold pen out in the dressing room to sign my flyer (he was also wearing this very 'Monkian' paisley-patterned smoking jacket). Remember thinking at the time that the Teddy Wilson influence seemed pretty strong and that he took such care and pride in his performance and seemed to really enjoy entertaining the audience. Pretty sure I went back the next night as well.

Pretty sure that the first Hank I heard was the Verve material with Parker. Have that Savoy trio set on a UK London LP.

Edited by sidewinder