Getz/Gilberto '76 from Resonance Records

jazzbo

I didn't see any mention of this on the forum, excuse me if there is another thread.

February 19, 2016, Resonance Records is releasing a CD and an LP of a 1976 live recording featuring Stan Getz with Joao Gilberto. 

http://www.resonancerecords.org/release.php?cat=HCD-2021

From the Resonance Records page:

Just over 50 years after the release of João Gilberto's and Stan Getz's classic Grammy®-winning album Getz/Gilberto (1964), and its sequel Getz/Gilberto #2 (1966, both on Verve Records), Resonance Records proudly announces Getz/Gilberto '76, set for release on February 19, 2016. Getz/Gilberto '76 is an instant classic collection of never-before-released recordings captured May 11-16, 1976 at the legendary San Francisco jazz club Keystone Korner, showcasing the legendary Brazilian singer, guitarist and composer João Gilberto, accompanied by the saxophone icon Stan Getz and his rhythm section of pianist Joanne Brackeen, bassist Clint Houston and drummer Billy Hart. These recordings were made during João Gilberto's and Stan Getz's weeklong engagement at the Keystone, which took place nearly 12 years after the release of their initial award-winning album.

Plus:

A companion release to Getz/Gilberto '76, Moments in Time features newly discovered music by the Stan Getz Quartet featuring pianist Joanne Brackeen, bassist Clint Houston, and drummer Billy Hart, recorded live in 1976 at the famed San Francisco jazz club Keystone Korner. Captured during a week of performances with the legendary bossa nova innovator João Gilberto, these instrumental recordings document the only time this uniquely adventurous configuration of the Stan Getz Quartet recorded together. This deluxe CD includes a 28-pg booklet with essays by jazz journalist Ted Panken, Steve Getz, band members Joanne Brackeen and Billy Hart, producers Zev Feldman & Todd Barkan, as well as statements from contemporary saxophonists Joshua Redman and Branford Marsalis. Also featured are rare, previously unpublished photos from the archives of acclaimed music photographer Tom Copi. Gracing the cover is the distinctive artwork of Japanese artist/designer Takao Fujioka.

1. Summer Night
2. O Grande Amor
  3. Infant Eyes
  4. The Cry of the Wild Goose
  5. Peace
  6. Con Alma
  7. Prelude to a Kiss
  8. Morning Star
Edited by duaneiac

• 1 month later...

I have the CD and have listened to it. A really nice performance! And the sound is good imo. There are those who run from a bit of "loudness" and some noise reduction. Well, they'll sprint away from this one, it's a bit loud and it seems to have been subjected to a bit of noise reduction. But. . . everyone is audible, there's a real soundstage. Sounds to me like a really nice cassette was the master and they made the best of it. I'm glad to have it. "Moments in Time" which was released at the same time sounds very similar, and is also a really good performance.

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have the CD and have listened to it. A really nice performance! And the sound is good imo. There are those who run from a bit of "loudness" and some noise reduction. Well, they'll sprint away from this one, it's a bit loud and it seems to have been subjected to a bit of noise reduction. But. . . everyone is audible, there's a real soundstage. Sounds to me like a really nice cassette was the master and they made the best of it. I'm glad to have it. "Moments in Time" which was released at the same time sounds very similar, and is also a really good performance.

They compressed it? Really? Why did they feel the need to compress this to audible levels? Sure, add some compression to bring the bassist out of the murk but don't go so far that it's too loud. That's just dumb and very unfortunate. Did they "flat top" any of it? That would be even dumber.

My copy of "Getz/Gilberto '76" arrived in the mail just a few hours ago. Have not listened to it or to "Moments In Time " yet.

But in the last couple of days I have heard the Japanese CD - Stan Getz - "Not So Long Ago" with Frank Strazzeri, John Patitucci and Ralph Penland. It is excellent !!!!

Both the playing and audio quality are terrific. Will be very surprised if either of the other 2 Getz sessions referred to above are even close to being as good.