• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

Hey, was this noted anywhere on the board? My search skills, not so good:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States Mint launched a new coin Tuesday featuring jazz legend Duke Ellington, making him the first African-American to appear by himself on a circulating U.S. coin.

More at

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duke.ellington.coin/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States Mint launched a new coin Tuesday featuring jazz legend Duke Ellington, making him the first African-American to appear by himself on a circulating U.S. coin.

More at

I believe it was. Some "real jazz fans" were outraged that Ellington's likeness could be used for such blatantly commercial purposes. ;)

There's a Morricone quarter?

Also: Member 666, post 666. Look out.

Edit: But seriously, Ellington's is a mountain of output I can't imagine ever conquering. And I already have a coworker who razzes me for the amount I own...

Edited by sjarrell

More at

I believe it was. Some "real jazz fans" were outraged that Ellington's likeness could be used for such blatantly commercial purposes. ;)

They must have been really pissed in the 80's when the post office put him on a stamp.

Apologies if this has already been discussed: Has anyone listened to the "Complete Ellington Indigos" on Jazz Beat? It looks like a Spanish pirate label except that there are a fair number of alternate takes. I'm wondering about the sound.

Also the recent reissue of "A Drum is a Woman"? Anyone listened to and commented on that?

If so and I've missed it, I hope somebody will post a link (just watch--it's probably on THIS thread and I've missed it!). Otherwise, I'd like to hear comments. "Drum is a Woman" has often provoked a fair amount of comment!

greg mo

I picked up one I had missed in the oldies.com Fantasy sale--Berlin '65 - Paris '67. Four tracks from the Berlin concert and six from the Paris concert--the latter concert at the Salle Pleyel is the reason to get this one, with the group sounding inspired, and the Paris concert is well-recorded.

The alternates of "Indigoes" are from the mono lp. . . the sound on this and ADIAW is quite good.

I really like "A Drum is A Woman" . . . just fun stuff. I'd love to see the "broadcast" one day, probably never will.

I think there are a couple of other extra tracks on Indigoes as well as those from the mono release. Both cds are definitely worth getting. Sony should have put them out officially.

I believe there are extant copies of ADIAW but that they are in black and white. You might be able to see it at one of the Museums of Broadcasting. (I remember seeing it when it was first broadcast but it was before we had colour tv in my area.

Edited by medjuck

The alternates of "Indigoes" are from the mono lp. . . the sound on this and ADIAW is quite good.

I really like "A Drum is A Woman" . . . just fun stuff. I'd love to see the "broadcast" one day, probably never will.

I think there are a couple of other extra tracks on Indigoes as well as those from the mono release. Both cds are definitely worth getting. Sony should have put them out officially.

I believe there are extant copies of ADIAW but that they are in black and white. You might be able to see it at one of the Museums of Broadcasting. (I remember seeing it when it was first broadcast but it was before we had colour tv in my area.

Thanks to both you and Lon for the replies. I'll put those on my short list. I always liked the Indigos album.

You're right--Sony should have put them out, especially ADIAW, since it was reportedly all ready to go.

greg mo

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

76 minutes of a concert from the November 1963 tour of the Middle East

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUAZT4-ufuA

No indication of where or when this was broadcast. Probably taped in Beirut (because of the mix of French and arabic titles) near the end of the tour.

Don't miss Billy Strayhorn playing 'Lush Life' at the end of the video (and Sam Woodyard blowing a kiss to Strayhorn at the end of the solo!).

• 2 months later...