• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today, I've been listening to Ellington's mid-60s Reprise recordings:

51yGbJL%2BZnL._SX425_.jpg

51Rd5wqj-FL._SX425_.jpg

91QDedMPqVL._SS425_.jpg

I still enjoy giving these albums a spin every now and then, even though none are top-tier EKE.  Surprisingly (or maybe not), I think Mary Poppins is easily the strongest of the three.  The band digs into the music with gusto, and the arrangements are inventive.

This afternoon

Webert Sicot - Haitian Merengues - Ansonia 1960

Haitian Merengues (LP, Album, Mono) album cover

Al Grey - Last of the big plungers - Argo 1960
The Last Of The Big Plungers (LP, Album, Stereo) album cover

MJQ - Jazz Dialogue - Atlantic  1966
R-3427042-1401238926-2040.jpeg.jpg

Next
Perez Prado - Mambo Jambo - JVC 1972
(looser band than on his RCA Victor recordings - very nice)

R-10640490-1501486074-8832.jpeg.jpg

MG

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

51yGbJL%2BZnL._SX425_.jpg

51Rd5wqj-FL._SX425_.jpg

91QDedMPqVL._SS425_.jpg

I still enjoy giving these albums a spin every now and then, even though none are top-tier EKE.  Surprisingly (or maybe not), I think Mary Poppins is easily the strongest of the three.  The band digs into the music with gusto, and the arrangements are inventive.

I would grab the other 3 Reprise records first.

15 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I bought the Reprise records as they were issued and have a soft spot for the whole bunch. I was also catching the band "live" at the time as well.

Me too.  Especially Afro Bossa, as it is Duke's full-on exotica album, even though he had been doing exotica one-offs for years, including things like "Baikiff" and of course "Caravan." :tup

36 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I bought the Reprise records as they were issued and have a soft spot for the whole bunch. I was also catching the band "live" at the time as well.

I wish I could have seen Duke live. 

If I could travel back in time to see anyone, I'd go see Ellington. No doubt about it.

19 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Me too.  Especially Afro Bossa, as it is Duke's full-on exotica album, even though he had been doing exotica one-offs for years, including things like "Baikiff" and of course "Caravan." :tup

I love that element of Ellington's music too -- both the imaginary "exotica" as well as the full-on African and "Other" places as-filtered-through-Ellington.

It always strikes me as odd to read critics who were put off by that aspect of Ellington's music.  I remember reading Helen Oakley Dance throwing shade on Ellington pieces like "Caravan."  Like she knows better than Ellington what he should record!  (Just like Norman Granz and Leonard Feather.)  It's absurd.

Edited by HutchFan

26 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I love that element of Ellington's music too -- both the imaginary "exotica" as well as the full-on African and "Other" places as-filtered-through-Ellington music.

It always strikes me as odd to read critics who were put off by that aspect of Ellington's music.  I remember Helen Oakley Dance throwing shade on Ellington pieces like "Caravan."  Like she knows better than Ellington what he should record!  (Just like Norman Granz and Leonard Feather.)  It's absurd.

There is sadly a sub-set of the jazz audience who lacks any sense of fun, adventure, or joie du vivre.  Who needs 'em.  :tdown

For example, all those calcified academics who hate Sun Ra.

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

51Rd5wqj-FL._SX425_.jpg

That version of "All My Loving" would fit great on Afro Bossa!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

57 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I love that element of Ellington's music too -- both the imaginary "exotica" as well as the full-on African and "Other" places as-filtered-through-Ellington.

We have a tiki room in our home, with a docking station that plays jungle sound effects on a loop.  I always blast the jungle sound effects when listening to Afro-Bossa.  They improve an already fantastic album!