• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Basie with Diz:

R-2687863-1552043575-3556.jpeg.jpg

I also have this. My wife bought it for me last Chrismas, since she knew I have a lot of Diz but never saw this one in my collections. 

I like it mostly for the fact my wife bought it, yeah it swings and you can really close your eyes and relax listening to it.

But I must also state, that it doesnt really work together Basie and Diz. First of all they didn´t seem to get a lot of common material, most of it is blues, with the excepetion of "Ow" based on Rhythm Changes. But IMHO Basie has a too spare piano style to make such a small group album. His little phrases, a note here, a note there is mighty fine with the Basie Big Band, and maybe on the Basie All Star Jams for Pablo, but here, let´s say playing a very slow blues, there is not very much happening . He even plays lesser notes than Tadd Dameron, who sometimes was critizized for is lack of pianism, but Tadd really plays stuff on the quartet album with Trane. And somehow, Ray Brown always is too loud. 

The cover photo...... well that´s some pseudo 70´s scene. Dizzy might have been in his late 50´s but tries to wear 70´s closes and hippie like sittin on the floor. 

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

R-12402629-1534567848-1357.jpeg.jpg

Never HEARD of this guy, but what a personnel list!

With breakfast, some real wake-up music

Big Jay McNeely - Big Jay in 3D - Federal

Big Jay In 3-D (LP, Album) album cover

Amos Milburn - Just one more drink - Aladdin (Route 66)
R-4510659-1366935626-3213.jpeg.jpg

Erskine Hawkins - Swinging in Harlem - Vocalion (Tax)

R-2807749-1607806450-9295.jpeg.jpg

Now

Stanley Turrentine - New time shuffle - BN

New Time Shuffle (LP, Album) album cover

Next

Jimmy McGriff's greatest organ hits - Sue (UA GB - two more tracks than the US version)

Jimmy McGriff Greatest Organ Hits vinyl LP album (LP record) UK JI4LPGR682579

MG

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Ibdon't have any reason to doubt this dating myself, nor am I familiar with the Joker.

https://www.jazzdisco.org/charles-mingus/discography/

Charles Mingus Sextet

Eddie Preston, trumpet; Charles McPherson, alto sax; Bobby Jones, tenor sax; Jaki Byard, piano; Charles Mingus, bass; Dannie Richmond, drums.

"Teatro Lirico", Milan, Italy, October 25, 1970

Orange Was The Colour Of Her DressJoker (J) UPS-2072-KR

The Man Who Never Sleeps-

O.P.-

* Joker (J) UPS-2072-KR; Lotus (It) ORL 8296, LOP 14.066; Passport (It) LPPS 11.108   Charlie Mingus - Statements

8 minutes ago, soulpope said:

https://www.jazzdisco.org/charles-mingus/discography/

Charles Mingus Sextet

Eddie Preston, trumpet; Charles McPherson, alto sax; Bobby Jones, tenor sax; Jaki Byard, piano; Charles Mingus, bass; Dannie Richmond, drums.

"Teatro Lirico", Milan, Italy, October 25, 1970

Orange Was The Colour Of Her DressJoker (J) UPS-2072-KR

The Man Who Never Sleeps-

O.P.-

* Joker (J) UPS-2072-KR; Lotus (It) ORL 8296, LOP 14.066; Passport (It) LPPS 11.108   Charlie Mingus - Statements

Cool. My two cents. . . the Japanese label "licensed" this recording and if that is true I'd believe their dating more than. . . Joker Records. But regardless--good music!

Now spinning:

R-7100002-1433719720-5874.jpeg.jpg

"Svensk Jazzhistoria Vol. 8 - Swedish Jazz 1956-1959 - Topsy Theme" disc 1

Edited by jazzbo

Just now, jazzbo said:

Cool. My two cents. . . the Japanese label "licensed" this recording and if that is true I'd believe their dating more than. . . Joker Records. 

There is no evidence of Mingus recordings from 1969, but who knows ....btw do like the frontline with McPherson + Jones + Preston, so great to have the music ....

R-8197933-1560420497-2595.jpeg.jpg

Disc 2 - Originally released as Fathead Comes On and House of David

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I also have this. My wife bought it for me last Chrismas, since she knew I have a lot of Diz but never saw this one in my collections. 

I like it mostly for the fact my wife bought it, yeah it swings and you can really close your eyes and relax listening to it.

But I must also state, that it doesnt really work together Basie and Diz. First of all they didn´t seem to get a lot of common material, most of it is blues, with the excepetion of "Ow" based on Rhythm Changes. But IMHO Basie has a too spare piano style to make such a small group album. His little phrases, a note here, a note there is mighty fine with the Basie Big Band, and maybe on the Basie All Star Jams for Pablo, but here, let´s say playing a very slow blues, there is not very much happening . He even plays lesser notes than Tadd Dameron, who sometimes was critizized for is lack of pianism, but Tadd really plays stuff on the quartet album with Trane. And somehow, Ray Brown always is too loud. 

The cover photo...... well that´s some pseudo 70´s scene. Dizzy might have been in his late 50´s but tries to wear 70´s closes and hippie like sittin on the floor. 

Funny how we all hear things so differently.  Because I love that album. 

To my ears, it's a bit of a stylistic and generational "mismatch" -- perhaps comparable to Ellington's recordings with Coltrane -- that works beautifully despite those differences (and maybe even, on some level, because of those differences).

13 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Funny how we all hear things so differently.  Because I love that album. 

To my ears, it's a bit of a stylistic and generational "mismatch" -- perhaps comparable to Ellington's recordings with Coltrane -- that works beautifully despite those differences (and maybe even, on some level, because of those differences).

The small group Pablo releases featuring Basie, which I ignored at the time, have proven to be a bountiful treasure. Thanks once again, Norman Granz, for  capturing it on record.