JSngry

Hey Kids, Have You Heard The News? MOSAIC's IN TROUBLE!!!

1,231 posts in this topic

Great news! I've been needing a copy of the Thad/Mel booklet for years. I just emailed Scott.

Thanks for posting the list !

I was hoping a stray Mildred Bailey box might have been found..:mellow:

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, BFrank said:

Great news! I've been needing a copy of the Thad/Mel booklet for years. I just emailed Scott.

Brilliant booklet !

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Brilliant booklet !

My friend saxophonist-composer Bill Kirchner wrote those notes. He was a sometime sub in the band in the '70s.

I'm not sure it may be worth going. What I mostly want are the booklets. 

Thanks for the list.  Glad I can order these items without going to the Open House. 

On 3/17/2018 at 3:55 AM, sidewinder said:

Thanks for posting the list !

I was hoping a stray Mildred Bailey box might have been found..:mellow:

Where is this list posted? I can't seem to locate it. Thanks.

It was there yesterday - Must have been taken down by the poster.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I just noticed that another set has dropped off the Last Chance list and in now OOP.  It was an LP set but not sure which one - The Getz perhaps?  At any rate, Mosaic now lists 20 active sets - all of them in print.  There are 4 sets running low and 2 in last chance.

I checked Wayback Machine from last year.  On January 6, 2017 -  they had 35 active sets.  2 sets were in last chance and 3 sets were running low.

Looks to me that if they are planning on staying in business - which from all appearances they are - with 2 new sets shipping very soon - they appear to be trying to reduce on hand inventory to reduce costs. My guess is that they will consider:

• Continue to allow the number of active sets  decrease by slowing the pace of new sets. 
  • For new sets, carefully control the on hand inventory by having less sets printed initially
  • For re-pressings, they will take a long look at sales and sales projections before doing any re-pressings.
  • This will dramatically reduce the storage space required for on hand inventory which will lower costs associated with leasing space.  Hell - does anyone know how big Michael Cuscuna's basement is?  He seems to be selling  stuff on Ebay all the time
  • Look at in-sourcing the shipping to further reduce overhead
  • Consider subscription service to guarantee access to sets
  • Look at more LP sets, though they once again appear to be phasing them out.

At least those are some of the things I'd be looking at if I wanted to stay in business.

5 hours ago, greggery peccary said:

Where is this list posted? I can't seem to locate it. Thanks.

I posted the list on another board: Mosaic sale list

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

It was there yesterday - Must have been taken down by the poster.

That's how I remember it as well.

Sorry, that was me. I edited my post. Because of a private message from a member here I was unsure if Mosaic wanted the list publicly published, and the last thing I would want to do is act outside of their desire. They are my absolute favorite record label as I'm sure they are for a lot of people on this board. J.A.W. posted the link with the available products a few posts up and I know from previous posts he is very careful not to put out anything Mosaic doesn't want released. So hopefully no harm no foul.

No probs Jordan.

Got the list details from Scott yesterday. Mentioned that they were very appreciative of the support from friends on this board and sends his regards.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

No probs Jordan.

Got the list details from Scott yesterday. Mentioned that they were very appreciative of the support from friends on this board and sends his regards.

What's unusual is that Mosaic's E-mail from yesterday specifically mentions, " We are in the process of sorting out and assembling a number of Mosaic collectibles (no lists are yet compiled or available)." It would seem that they are only sending out a list to people who ask and live too far away to be able to attend the open house sale in CT. If they wanted a list published, I think that they'd have published it.

I sent an email asking him to reserve a few booklets.  Maybe he can’t do that.  I will be going anyway. 

I'm betting it's Scott Wenzel. Rye, NY is pretty close to Stamford.  Good sets at good prices. Somebody should snap 'em up!

gregmo

On 14/03/2018 at 8:20 PM, medjuck said:

Has this actually ever been mentioned by anyone at Mosaic? 

The Barron set is Jim’s invention. He thinks if he says it often enough and doesn’t tread on the cracks in the sidewalk...

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

The Barron set is Jim’s invention. He thinks if he says it often enough and doesn’t tread on the cracks in the sidewalk...

Who's to say that won't work?

On 21/03/2018 at 2:27 PM, mjzee said:

There is an eBay seller named 78scott who is selling mint Mosaics with very low set #s.  The item location for these sets is Rye, NY.  See: https://www.ebay.com/sch/78scott/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Some of these are ‘signed by producer’ so either Ricky or Scott - hence odds on it’s Scott W. 

Edited by sidewinder

It is Scott.  I saw him today and he confirmed it. 

I went to the open house today.  I hadn't been to these offices before but they are smaller than the prior ones.  I'm glad I went as they had a lot of different things. 

They had a few partial sets and a few out of print sets; I nabbed the Quincy Jones set.  In addition, they had some single cds from previously issued sets,  I purchased a CD (the only ones available) from the early Bechet set, a Teagarden CD and a cd from the Akiyoshi and Tabackin Select. 

You could also purchase the book from their previously issued sets; I wound up purchasing eight of them, including the book from the Tina Brooks and Basie Roulette Studio sets.  They have an amazing inventory of the older booklets. For example, they must have had six or seven copies of the Basie one so I picked out the best one.  In my opinion, that was the best thing about going.  I'm surprised they don't put them on eBay or sell them off the web site.  

They had Japanese CDs of Blue Notes for only $12 per but I passed on them.  Figured I'd spent enough.  They were also selling a variety of CDs from different companies.  There was also some "best of" recordings of Blue Notes issued by a Japanese company in a long box.  As I had most of them I passed.  They also had many, many slicks; I picked up the Powell one.  They were also selling prints and if you wanted ones on the wall, they would sell them too.  There were also non-Mosaic LPs and books (including Blue Note postcards; probably should purchased that but didn't. 

Of course, you could also buy current Mosaics and I wound up purchasing the Basie Lester Young Studio.

I wouldn't say it was overly crowded but the people who were there weren't skimping on money :D

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

Who's to say that won't work?

If given better, I will do better. Until then, I will wait for Cuscuna to step up to the plate one last time in a home run of glory for the Mosaic of yore, who would do stuff like that because it needed to be done before it couldn't be done.

To be blunt - I will get the Savory set, but all this pre-bop sets with out anything else in the mix...i'm probably going to save enough money to buy multiple copies of the Bill Barron set, whoever puts it out legitly.

I'd be happy to sell you my mint copy of the Mosaic Bill Barron ("The Incomplete Sessions;" or is it "The Uncompleted Sessions"? Or maybe it's "The Jeff Sessions.")

$10,000 but I'll throw in free shipping (media, of course).

Edited by AllenLowe

If I pay cash, can you thrown in The "Roger" Sessions?