EKE BBB

What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

5,252 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Eric Clapton – 461 Ocean Boulevard (1974, Gatefold Sleeve, Vinyl) - Discogs

I'm really starting to have trouble listening to music by this guy these days. He's probably always been an idiot and I gave him a pass for that racist tirade years ago but his most recent BS on stage has really soured me on his music. He's certainly not getting any more of my money, that's for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Sarah Vaughan Sings George Gershwin" disc 2

23680fc5c680b7d6193f5558c00f4df0.1000x10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2022 at 6:37 AM, jazzbo said:

"Sarah Vaughan Sings George Gershwin" disc 2

23680fc5c680b7d6193f5558c00f4df0.1000x10

Lon - I bet that RAWWWWKS!! :g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, wrong topic. It's a sort of frustrating affair--I wish it were jazzier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

818PO8Z+JnL._SL600_.jpg

My adult son recently returned some of my LPs that he'd borrowed -- for a few years (!) -- including this one.  So I haven't listened to it for a long time. 

It sure sounds good.

Might have to spin After the Gold Rush next.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As predicted:

81TPHzMXRAL._SS600_.jpg

My father loved this record.  So I heard it over and over again as a kid growing up in the Seventies.  It's one of a handful of records that I hear and immediately think of my childhood. 

So much of my father's music is like "mental furniture"; it's just there, beside all the other recollections from my childhood.  And, in some ways, I suppose it's even stronger than many of them -- since music was something that I absorbed unconsciously.  In our house, it was just in the air, all the time.

It's a great gift my father gave me.

 

About a year ago, a long-time family friend gave me this photo.  It's me and my dad, listening to music in the living room in our first house:

Me-and-Dad.jpg

I suppose I'm maybe 10 years old (?) at the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now spinning:

919MJRMj51L._SL600_.jpg

Beautiful bluegrass-gospel harmonies from The Seldom Scene

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2022 at 2:20 PM, bresna said:

I'm really starting to have trouble listening to music by this guy these days. He's probably always been an idiot and I gave him a pass for that racist tirade years ago but his most recent BS on stage has really soured me on his music. He's certainly not getting any more of my money, that's for sure.

I couldn't give him a pass for the racism. His comments were disgusting and vile and he went on at some length which points to the fact he'd been thinking and developing those thoughts for a while, no off the cuff, throwaway racism here (not that that would have been any more forgiveable) This at a time when the far right were very visible on the city streets in the UK and tensions really didn't need stoking.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-rant-rock-against-racism/

Only good thing about it was it sporned the Rock Against Racism movement in the UK.

Ironically I was listening to 461 about that time. Needless to say I haven't done so for a very long time.

His recent pronouncements just go to show good guitar (never bought into the God accolades) playing doesn't require a brain 

Apologies if this post is deemed political, feel free to delete if so mods

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I couldn't give him a pass for the racism. His comments were disgusting and vile and he went on at some length which points to the fact he'd been thinking and developing those thoughts for a while, no off the cuff, throwaway racism here (not that that would have been any more forgiveable) This at a time when the far right were very visible on the city streets in the UK and tensions really didn't need stoking.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-rant-rock-against-racism/

Only good thing about it was it sporned the Rock Against Racism movement in the UK.

Ironically I was listening to 461 about that time. Needless to say I haven't done so for a very long time.

His recent pronouncements just go to show good guitar (never bought into the God accolades) playing doesn't require a brain 

Apologies if this post is deemed political, feel free to delete if so mods

 

I gave him a pass... wrong word. I believed him when he said that he was drugged out of his mind when he said those things. Is that a pass? Maybe. I did not defend that racist BS, that's for sure.

Maybe I shouldn't have allowed his marketing crew to fool me, but he seemed sincere and went out of his way to avoid saying stuff like that again so I thought, "Maybe he was just stoned out of his mind". Now this latest shit comes out and he's sober as hell. Now I have to wonder if his "I was stoned" defense from years past was just a coverup. He's just an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, bresna said:

I gave him a pass... wrong word. I believed him when he said that he was drugged out of his mind when he said those things. Is that a pass? Maybe. I did not defend that racist BS, that's for sure.

Maybe I shouldn't have allowed his marketing crew to fool me, but he seemed sincere and went out of his way to avoid saying stuff like that again so I thought, "Maybe he was just stoned out of his mind". Now this latest shit comes out and he's sober as hell. Now I have to wonder if his "I was stoned" defense from years past was just a coverup. He's just an idiot.

I always thought that it was a case of 'the truth will out". So stoned he said what he believed rather than hold back. Can't really see how any intoxicant can generate thought processes of such length and depth, they just removed his inhibitors. Anyway, we're agreed the man's a first rank idiot at the very least and probably not worth the effort.

Apologies for derailing the thread. I need to restrain my automatic reactions when it comes to Clapton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

As predicted:

81TPHzMXRAL._SS600_.jpg

My father loved this record.  So I heard it over and over again as a kid growing up in the Seventies.  It's one of a handful of records that I hear and immediately think of my childhood. 

So much of my father's music is like "mental furniture"; it's just there, beside all the other recollections from my childhood.  And, in some ways, I suppose it's even stronger than many of them -- since music was something that I absorbed unconsciously.  In our house, it was just in the air, all the time.

It's a great gift my father gave me.

 

About a year ago, a long-time family friend gave me this photo.  It's me and my dad, listening to music in the living room in our first house:

Me-and-Dad.jpg

I suppose I'm maybe 10 years old (?) at the time.

 

Thanks for sharing.

My father was a great classical music fan, mostly Mozart, Rossini and Haydn. I still play his records regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

My father was a great classical music fan, mostly Mozart, Rossini and Haydn. I still play his records regularly.

Connecting to our past through music can be a wonderful thing.  :tup 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Re: the comments up-thread about Eric Clapton -- That whole thing is a huge bummer.  I didn't know about the racist comments until I was reading about his anti-vaxxing views.  Ugh.  Terrible.  

In my view, it's just more evidence that ignorance & willful stupidity afflicts artists just as much as other segments of the population.

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Re: the comments up-thread about Eric Clapton -- That whole thing is a huge bummer.  I didn't know about the racist comments until I was reading about his anti-vaxxing views.  Ugh.  Terrible.  

In my view, it's just more evidence that ignorance & willful stupidity afflicts artists just as much as other segments of the population.

 

Clapton never impressed me. By the time he appeared I had about 5 years of "live" Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin and others in my ears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Clapton was "blues" for white people. His racist rant doesn't seem to be out of place in the overall esthetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I always thought that it was a case of 'the truth will out". So stoned he said what he believed rather than hold back. Can't really see how any intoxicant can generate thought processes of such length and depth, they just removed his inhibitors. Anyway, we're agreed the man's a first rank idiot at the very least and probably not worth the effort.

Apologies for derailing the thread. I need to restrain my automatic reactions when it comes to Clapton.

Amazing how the original rant was covered up. I never heard about it until a few years ago. But I was never a Clapton fan anyway.

30 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Clapton never impressed me. By the time he appeared I had about 5 years of "live" Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Hubert Sumlin and others in my ears.

I'm slightly younger, but by the late '70s had seen a whole lot of more impressive guitarists in Chicago.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, Clapton was "blues" for white people. His racist rant doesn't seem to be out of place in the overall esthetic.

Agreed on both points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Sorry, wrong topic. It's a sort of frustrating affair--I wish it were jazzier.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents on Eric is that my formative music fandom grew out of the late 60s and all the groundbreaking music that was released on a seemingly day to day basis. Cream was way up there along with Jimi, the Airplane and all the rest. I still think Cream was an amazing band in their day, but over the years I came to realize that Jack Bruce was the innovator in that band, not Eric. As time went by I followed his career with much more interest than Clapton who seemed release an endless stream of mediocre albums. I still treasure most of Jack's output, both on solo albums and with more adventurous stuff with artists like Kip Hanrahan and Tony Williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.5.2022 at 4:33 PM, HutchFan said:

As predicted:

81TPHzMXRAL._SS600_.jpg

My father loved this record.  So I heard it over and over again as a kid growing up in the Seventies.  It's one of a handful of records that I hear and immediately think of my childhood. 

So much of my father's music is like "mental furniture"; it's just there, beside all the other recollections from my childhood.  And, in some ways, I suppose it's even stronger than many of them -- since music was something that I absorbed unconsciously.  In our house, it was just in the air, all the time.

It's a great gift my father gave me.

 

About a year ago, a long-time family friend gave me this photo.  It's me and my dad, listening to music in the living room in our first house:

Me-and-Dad.jpg

I suppose I'm maybe 10 years old (?) at the time.

Early seeds bare lasting fruits 😇 ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soulpope said:

Early seeds bare lasting fruits 😇 ....

Yes!  :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BFrank said:

.... over the years I came to realize that Jack Bruce was the innovator in that band, not Eric. As time went by I followed his career with much more interest than Clapton who seemed release an endless stream of mediocre albums. I still treasure most of Jack's output, both on solo albums and with more adventurous stuff with artists like Kip Hanrahan and Tony Williams.

True ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I usually judge the art not the artist, a bad guy like Caravaggio left something that enriches and improves the beauty of our world. Said that Clapton wasn't Caravaggio and I agree that he was particulary hateful about immigrants and the covid. I am not very impressed by his work, even with the Cream. Personally I have the same nuisance toward Roger Water and his position against Israel, definitely anti-semitic IMO. But art is art, artists are human beings, being a good man doesn't make better paintings or better quartets as supporting good causes doesn't make better music. In general as we judge art within his historical and artistic context, we should judge the artist, no surprise that in the works of men living in times where racism, machismo, slavery, ecc, were common sense we could find these elements. For sure Clapton does not live in the times of Suleiman the Magnificent or Elizabeth I, so he is unforgivable.

Edited by porcy62

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broken Hearts & Dirty Windows: Songs Of John Prine, Vol. 2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.